Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

How many fingers do you use to type?

2 or less
- 1 (4.3%)
3 or 4
- 0 (0%)
5 or 6
- 3 (13%)
7 or 8
- 3 (13%)
9 or 10
- 13 (56.5%)
more than 10
- 3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ergonomics  (Read 2079 times)

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
Ergonomics
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:16:50 AM »

the first semester of my computer classes was all typing classes

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »

Gotta make sure those prerequisites are taken care of.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:17:49 AM »

I use as many fingers as it takes to get the job done.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:21:18 AM »

Hm -- now you've got me wondering.  It's definitely "9 or 10", but I'm not sure which.  Do I use both thumbs on the spacebar, or just the left?  And now that I'm thinking about it, I can't tell.

I THINK it's just the left.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:46 AM »

I generally touch type with my right hand, peck with my left, and use my left thumb to spacebar.  My left wrist is just a lot faster and more flexible than anything else for some reason (probably from compensating for a weak left side when I was training in Taekwondo).

All my fingers get used at SOME point but generally it's some unique combination of four right fingers, left index, and left thumb.  So six.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »

Peck with mostly right index finger, right middle finger, and left index finger, with some use of my right ring finger and left middle finger. I also seem to hit the space bar with whichever thumb is nearest; tends to be the right, but sometimes it's the left. I picked 5-6 since really that's closest.

My biggest problem is that I really can't type without looking at the keyboard. I am simply too uncoordinated.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »

I think I basically touch type, but I move my index to ring fingers to compensate for my pinkies so they don't get any use except for shifts. I think that's about how it goes.
I mash both thumbs on that spacebar though. F the spacebar.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »

In communist handsa all fingers and thumbs pull their weight. Whichever is closest to a key hits it, generally making me type letters out of order when my pointer and middle finger move past the parts of words my thumbs and pinkies are still on.

Also sometimes my penis.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »

It seems that I only use my pinkies for Shift keys and line breaks and other modifiers; I hadn't noticed until now that I use my ring finger for [brackets] and semicolons. And now that I'm thinking about it I have no idea what finger I normally use for "quotes."

I do technically use it, though, so that's still nine after taking into account that I space ambidextrously.
...but is it art?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »

Oh hey, that's right... I never realized that my right pinky and and left ring finger do get used for modifiers like Shift.

One interesting thing is that my body seems to need some kind of anchor. See, I don't look at the keyboard 100% of the time when I type, only maybe 2/3rds of the time. In order to prevent drift, my left pinky actually hugs the left edge of the keyboard most of the time (even when I am looking down at the keyboard) to provide a location reference to my fingers. It only lifts off when my left hand needs to type something close to the middle.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »

I use all ten fingers but mostly my index and middle fingers I think. My right hand sits at an angle to the keyboard so that the index finger is on K and the middle finger is on O. It moves closer to the middle sometimes (to, say, J and I), but the angle is always the same.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »

I touch type mostly but I'm horrible at it. I use most of my fingers, probably all 10 at some point for some keys but generally just use my left hand and my right index, ring and middle fingers. It should be noted that I'm left handed so he does most of the heavy lifting.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »

Index fingers, all the way, Bitches.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »

sorta touch type, except I have to be looking at the keyboard to have any accuracy.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »

I tried to learn the home row touch-type in my teens and never got the knack, but I basically got used to what I had been doing since I was a kid and developed my own instinctive 10 finger method that I would be hard-pressed to describe in any detail. I used to look at the keyboard a lot but I eventually realized that if I forced myself to look at the screen I did just as well, and it was only a question of breaking the habit.

I think one thing that "helped" my typing dexterity was that my first computer didn't have accent keys in any way, so if I wanted, say, "é", I had to resort to raw ASCII character codes and type in ALT+130. When many very common characters in your language require memorizing multiple sequences of four keypresses, it kinda puts your determination in the crucible.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »

Until I got one of those ergonomic keyboards with the keys split down the center, my left hand was incredibly dominant and would type the Y-H-N column and sometimes even the U.

Then I started typing this post and noticed that I still used my left hand to type Y-H-N.  I think it's because I use my right pinky for R-shift, pulling my hand too far away to comfortably type Y-H-N, whereas I type y-h-n with my right.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »

I actually do look at the keyboard a lot but it's like monitoring the speedometer when you're driving.  It's such an inline action that you don't really realize you're spending time doing it.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »

ALT+130

E ACCENT AIGU

I have some of those memorized (even if I forget, it's easy to remember that the range is roughly 130-145 and just fumble around from there), but I never remember the upper cases ones.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »

Hm -- now you've got me wondering.  It's definitely "9 or 10", but I'm not sure which.  Do I use both thumbs on the spacebar, or just the left?  And now that I'm thinking about it, I can't tell.

I THINK it's just the left.

Have you checked if your keyboard is left-handed?
Pages: [1] 2