Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Game of Thrones: The TV Show  (Read 8863 times)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »

I liked the look on Tyrion's face when he saw that guy literally get torn limb from limb.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »

I'm a week behind, buuuuut given that last week's ep ended with [spoiler]Osha taking Bran and Rickon away without the Reeds ever showing up[/spoiler], it's entirely possible that the Reeds won't be in the show at all, which would mean a vastly expanded role for Osha and go some way to explaining Asha's name change.

I suspect that will really fuck with the way things play out in books six and seven, buuuuuuut honestly taking out the Reeds and (book two ending spoilers) [spoiler]the separation of Bran and Rickon[/spoiler] wouldn't really have any major impact on anything that's happened up to this point.

More's the pity, really, because (book five spoilers) [spoiler]Davos going to search for Rickon and Osha[/spoiler] is the dangling plot point that frustrates me the most at this point.

Yes, more than all those other ones.

...though again, I'm a week behind, so for all I know Jojen and Meera just came bouncing down the road a couple days ago.

EDIT: Wait, I've got it.

Consider all spoiler-tagged stuff from here on in to be major spoilers for pretty much all the books up to this point.

I can see how the Reeds can be completely excised without any major changes to the story, because [spoiler]their purpose is twofold: one, they get Bran as far as the Wall, and two, they know the truth about Jon Snow's parentage.

We can really get around #1 once Coldhands shows up -- Osha and Rickon can go one way, while Coldhands, Bran, and Hodor go north of the Wall.  So Osha and Rickon are hiding at whatever location is convenient for Davos to seek them out later on.

As for #2: well, we're all assuming Coldhands is Benjen Stark, right?  I mean, I'm kinda hoping it's something less obvious, but that's where the smart money is.  So he could easily know Ned's secret.  Otherwise, you could just handwave Bran's Omniscient Tree Powers as a way of finding out.  The Reeds are unnecessary.[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 08:30:42 PM »

Welp, caught up, and 3 to go.

Quite liked the new bits with Tyrion and Cersei, and with Jaime.  Not so fond of the bits with their daddy.  It's good for building his character and giving Arya something to do besides skulk around and talk to herself, but -- book spoilers -- [spoiler]even if we're to assume he's sussed out who she is (and he damn well should have by now, nevermind Littlefinger), we know he doesn't take her back to King's Landing with him, because That's Not How it Goes.  And really, any outcome where Tywin Lannister has Ned Stark's daughter right in front of him and lets her slip through his fingers is a disservice to his character.[/spoiler]

Also don't care for the Jon Snow Goes for a Long Walk and is Awkward Around Girls sequence.  And I'm not crazy about the Qarth changes, but I grant they certainly give Dany a lot more to do than she had in the book.

Seems to me that they could have used some of that Wandering Around time to establish Reek.  It's an interesting choice giving his role to Dagmer Cleftjaw, but, well...I can't help asking "How's that going to work?"

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 08:17:53 AM »

Welp, we've once again hit that point where it's gone from "How the hell are they going to cram the whole book into only 10 episodes?" to "How are they going to spread what's left out to 2 whole episodes?"

Robb: We're actually well into the third book with his arc.  Don't want to go too much farther or it'll start taking a bite out of his role next season, but I expect the logical cliffhanger for the season is -- minor, vague book 3 spoiler for thing that viewers probably already see coming -- [spoiler]things reaching a boiling point with Lord Karstark[/spoiler].

Brienne: We're into book 3 here, too.  I suspect we'll see this one end with -- book 3 spoiler -- [spoiler]capture[/spoiler].  If they REALLY want to take things to a big nasty cliffhanger, well, if you've read the books you don't need me to finish that thought.

Arya: And we're just about done with HER part of book 2, as well.  I expect we'll see -- book 3 spoiler again -- [spoiler]her meet up with the Brotherhood, since they've been foreshadowing them for weeks[/spoiler].

Jon: He'll do what needs to be done.

The other Men of the Watch: I expect that Dragonglass is going to come in handy very soon.

Daenerys: The House of the Undying is going to be one of the trickier sequences to adapt.  Wonder if we'll see (book spoiler) [spoiler]Rhaegar[/spoiler]?

King's Landing/Stannis: We are looking at a great big climactic fight sequence, one of the biggest and most complex in the series.  If they can pull it off on a TV budget -- even a HUGE TV budget -- it's going to be a hell of a sight to see.

Book spoilers: [spoiler]They're really making Tyrion look helpless right up until the last minute; things are going to seem pretty rushed as he prepares their defense.  And I believe this week's episode was the first time we saw Pod for so much as 15 seconds -- assuming he has the same small but important role in the climax, it's worth wondering whether they'll take another scene or two to develop him, or whether he'll just come out of nowhere.[/spoiler]

Winterfell: Seriously, I am still wondering how this is going to work.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »

Wondering if they'really abandoning the [spoiler]chain[/spoiler] in King's Landing. It still works as a total surprise but I expected a little mention by now.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant about it being rushed.

Is the battle for sure coming in next week's episode and not the one following?  Because either way they could still give it a LITTLE foreshadowing, but not nearly as much as it had in the book.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »

...so Martin wrote that episode himself.  So mostly we got a pretty direct adaptation of the book version, but the new bits were revelatory -- the Hound/Bronn confrontation was a really nice contrast of two men who are similar in everything but demeanor, and Varys spoke much more candidly about his motivations than he ever has in the books.  His fear of Melisandre and the Red God explains why he favors the Lannisters for now, even though he ultimately wants a Targaryen back on the throne.

And Stannis's charge (with no helmet!) stretches credulity, but man it's a great sequence and reminds us who Stannis is.

One more episode to mop up.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »

EW: apparently the Reeds will be in the show after all.

And we'll finally see Edmure and Brynden.  Which yeah Edmure kinda HAD to be in there somewhere; he's not the most important character but his wedding is pretty essential.

Shireen's going to be in there too, even though the show has, to my recollection, not even mentioned Stannis having a daughter up to this point, and the Queen of Thorns will be showing up, which makes sense although I'd have given even odds her entire role would be given to Margaery herself.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »

Robb: We're actually well into the third book with his arc.  Don't want to go too much farther or it'll start taking a bite out of his role next season, but I expect the logical cliffhanger for the season is -- minor, vague book 3 spoiler for thing that viewers probably already see coming -- [spoiler]things reaching a boiling point with Lord Karstark[/spoiler].

While I can get behind [spoiler]dishonoring his vow to Walder Frey[/spoiler], there is no fucking way Robb would [spoiler]swear to the Seven instead of the Old Gods[/spoiler].

Brienne: We're into book 3 here, too.  I suspect we'll see this one end with -- book 3 spoiler -- [spoiler]capture[/spoiler].  If they REALLY want to take things to a big nasty cliffhanger, well, if you've read the books you don't need me to finish that thought.

Not even close; good bit of development with her and Jaime but no advancement to the plot whatever.

Arya: And we're just about done with HER part of book 2, as well.  I expect we'll see -- book 3 spoiler again -- [spoiler]her meet up with the Brotherhood, since they've been foreshadowing them for weeks[/spoiler].

Nope; just mopping up.

Jon: He'll do what needs to be done.

No surprises here either.

The other Men of the Watch: I expect that Dragonglass is going to come in handy very soon.

I was worried for a minute we wouldn't see them at all.  Really a nice bit of banter at the end there.

Daenerys: The House of the Undying is going to be one of the trickier sequences to adapt.  Wonder if we'll see (book spoiler) [spoiler]Rhaegar[/spoiler]?

[spoiler]Nope, but nice use of Khal Drogo.[/spoiler]  Really a good sequence overall; simultaneously low-budget and effective.  Messes with the vast distances we've been trained to recognize.

King's Landing/Stannis: We are looking at a great big climactic fight sequence, one of the biggest and most complex in the series.  If they can pull it off on a TV budget -- even a HUGE TV budget -- it's going to be a hell of a sight to see.

Book spoilers: [spoiler]They're really making Tyrion look helpless right up until the last minute; things are going to seem pretty rushed as he prepares their defense.  And I believe this week's episode was the first time we saw Pod for so much as 15 seconds -- assuming he has the same small but important role in the climax, it's worth wondering whether they'll take another scene or two to develop him, or whether he'll just come out of nowhere.[/spoiler]

I can nitpick but I can't complain.  Really a pretty fucking fantastic episode, and I'm glad they took at least a little bit of time to mop up at the end.

Vague but major book 3 spoiler: [spoiler]either Shae was bluffing like a motherfucker or she's been substantially changed from the books.[/spoiler]

Winterfell: Seriously, I am still wondering how this is going to work.

Weeeell, in the way that I was referring to, the resolution of the Theon/Dagmer arc, it unfortunately pretty much fucking didn't.  [spoiler]What the fuck was the point of anything Dagmer has done all season if he's just going to say "Nevermind" and goddamn wander off?[/spoiler]  Unless next season starts off with -- spoiler for thing that happened in the book but not the show -- [spoiler]him turning out to be Roose Bolton's 40-year-old goddamn son[/spoiler], we're left with both a major arc that doesn't make a lick of plot sense and arguably the most legitimately evil character in the series left with no introduction whatsoever.

That aside, the other Winterfell scene was fucking pitch-perfect.  I don't want to close by griping about Dagmer, because the rest of the episode was damn good television.

My itch remains unscratched; I think I'll probably start a Massive Book Spoilers & Rampant Speculation thread at some point here.  But in the meantime, here's something from the TV show we can speculate about:

[spoiler]Syrio Forel and Jaqen H'ghar -- the same dude?[/spoiler]  Discuss.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »

Bleeding Cool's got a bunch of stills, including Jojen and Meera.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »

Via io9, some deleted scenes from season 2.  Spoilers follow.

Game of Thrones S2 Deleted Scenes - Irri and Doreah
Irri and Doreah: I guess they dropped this one because it spells out who betrayed Danaerys and short-circuits the cliffhanger where she finds the dragons are gone?  I think it should have been kept, because the traitor reveal at the end of the season was abrupt (and frankly I can never remember which one of Dany's servants is which in the show or the books anyway).

Game of Thrones S2 Deleted Scenes - Loras and Margaery
Loras and Margaery: I can see why this was cut -- it really doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know, and does nothing to advance the plot.  However, it's a good character moment; I think it's really the only time we see these two characters together and unguarded, either in the books or the show.

Game of Thrones S2 Deleted Scenes - Sandor & Sansa
Sansa and the Hound (that's my favorite 1950's rock group!): Another one that doesn't advance the plot, but does a solid job of advancing the complicated relationship of these three characters.  Lord knows that season 2 put Sansa through enough, but the Hound's alternately protective and menacing treatment of her could have used a bit more exploration.

Game of Thrones S2 Deleted Scenes - Varys & Littlefinger
I can see why this was cut, too; the finale wisely limited its focus on King's Landing given that the entire preceding episode took place there.  Still, as I've said before, the Game of Thrones is ultimately a game between Varys and Littlefinger, and these scenes where they match wits are a thoroughly enjoyable addition to the show.  Plus, unless the show makes some significant changes, we're not going to see the two of them together again anytime soon.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »

Grath

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »

I'm a week behind, buuuuut given that last week's ep ended with [spoiler]Osha taking Bran and Rickon away without the Reeds ever showing up[/spoiler], it's entirely possible that the Reeds won't be in the show at all, which would mean a vastly expanded role for Osha and go some way to explaining Asha's name change.

I suspect that will really fuck with the way things play out in books six and seven, buuuuuuut honestly taking out the Reeds and (book two ending spoilers) [spoiler]the separation of Bran and Rickon[/spoiler] wouldn't really have any major impact on anything that's happened up to this point.

More's the pity, really, because (book five spoilers) [spoiler]Davos going to search for Rickon and Osha[/spoiler] is the dangling plot point that frustrates me the most at this point.

Yes, more than all those other ones.

...though again, I'm a week behind, so for all I know Jojen and Meera just came bouncing down the road a couple days ago.

EDIT: Wait, I've got it.

Consider all spoiler-tagged stuff from here on in to be major spoilers for pretty much all the books up to this point.

I can see how the Reeds can be completely excised without any major changes to the story, because [spoiler]their purpose is twofold: one, they get Bran as far as the Wall, and two, they know the truth about Jon Snow's parentage.

We can really get around #1 once Coldhands shows up -- Osha and Rickon can go one way, while Coldhands, Bran, and Hodor go north of the Wall.  So Osha and Rickon are hiding at whatever location is convenient for Davos to seek them out later on.

As for #2: well, we're all assuming Coldhands is Benjen Stark, right?  I mean, I'm kinda hoping it's something less obvious, but that's where the smart money is.  So he could easily know Ned's secret.  Otherwise, you could just handwave Bran's Omniscient Tree Powers as a way of finding out.  The Reeds are unnecessary.[/spoiler]

Not that I've fully read through the books, but I've been spoiling myself with some wiki-ing as I read through the books: [spoiler]Isn't Coldhands something like 200+ years old, and thus cannot possibly be Benjen?[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2013, 08:50:25 PM »

I don't think that's explicitly stated.  There's a bit in Dance where [spoiler]Leaf says "They killed him long ago" but that's ambiguous.  On the one hand, given how old Leaf is, "long ago" WOULD seem to imply more than three years.  On the other, three years is a long time for somebody to be up and moving around after being killed.[/spoiler]

All that said: I hope you're right, because as I said, if it's as obvious as it looks then that's incredibly boring.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »

Okay. So.

At the end of the latest episode (S3E3) when [spoiler]Jaime got his hand cut off[/spoiler]...

did

did a catchy rock song play during the credits?

I've got it DVR'd and everything

and I still don't think that actually happened.

EDIT: this

this is the song

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2013, 03:53:54 AM »

Heads up, the YouTube comments behind those links explicitly spoil the season

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 04:16:58 AM »

MArleon T 13 hours ago

durr herp herp durr derp hurr hurr hurr durr herp derp herp durr hurr herp derp
· in reply to paris86 (Show the comment)

paris86 13 hours ago

herp derp

hurr derp hurr

derp derp durr durr hurr

Senor Mantis 14 hours ago

durr durr herp durr derp hurr derp derp hurr

Sounds about right.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 04:35:54 AM »