Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Your Job: The Movie  (Read 167863 times)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Your Job: The Movie
« Reply #2400 on: October 22, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »

There are lardasses like me who don't know the exact flavor of suck slathered on that toast.
Also... If you haven't deprogrammed, are you really former military?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: October 22, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »

Ever have a supervisor that is former military, and hasn't deprogrammed?

Because that shit sucks on toast.

Conversely, it always throws me off to try and imagine you as ever having been programmed in the first place.

:nyoro~n:

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: October 22, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »

I wasn't in for 20+ years.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: October 28, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »

I brought a pile of halloween candy and ten minute later the office lunatic (other than me, I mean) is screaming that he's trying to freebase rockets.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2404 on: October 30, 2012, 11:33:21 PM »

Welp, we're into week two and my sleep schedule has started to slide.  "Up past midnight" is a bigger deal for me than it used to be; hasn't brought on any headaches but I'm worried it's going to start.

But I'm not tired and I know when I go to bed I'm just going to lie there not sleeping.

Unemployment is fucking boring, even accounting for the last few days I spent getting my computer back in working order (and the work still left to do on same -- why can't you open links in an external browser, rssowl?).  I need something to do.  I'll try and get out, at least, tomorrow, maybe bike to the comic shop.  Need to see a pulmonologist, too, to renew my albuterol prescription.  Found one nearby who my insurance covers but just got a weird mumbly voicemail when I called; maybe I'll drop by the address and see if anyone's home.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 31, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »

Having been unemployed for going on three years, I can say the best technique I've found for staying sane is to make sure you do some kind of "work" every day. For me, that's cleaning the house, chopping wood, working out, whatever. Even if it's just a little bit, if you do something productive every day, you'll feel like less of a shit.

I've had absolutely zero luck keeping a stable schedule, but that's nothing new. I couldn't keep one even when I worked full time. My body refuses to do anything other than a 26 hour cycle.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 31, 2012, 04:55:51 AM »

I couldn't keep one even when I worked full time. My body refuses to do anything other than a 26 hour cycle.

Oh god, ain't that the truth. I'm just lucky my current job is two days on, one day off, two days on, and two days off.

'Course I still fall asleep at work once in a while.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 31, 2012, 06:18:27 AM »

Hey, thanks supervisor, I really wanted to be yelled at today for WEARING MY HOOD WHEN IT'S 55 DEGREES OUT SO MY EARS AREN'T COLD.

Seriously, this is a thing.

I am not Treyvon Fucking Martin.  Either get off my ass, or make a uniform prescribed in company policy.  And buy it for me, too, because I'm not buying it myself.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 31, 2012, 06:58:42 AM »

Get the most obnoxious pair of earmuffs you can find.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2409 on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »

Having been unemployed for going on three years, I can say the best technique I've found for staying sane is to make sure you do some kind of "work" every day. For me, that's cleaning the house, chopping wood, working out, whatever. Even if it's just a little bit, if you do something productive every day, you'll feel like less of a shit.

I did a Buffy episode's worth of time on the elliptical yesterday and am about to do it again, but I really need to get out of the house.  Again, fortunately it's New Comic Day so that gives me an excuse for a bike ride downtown, and I DO want to check out that pulmonologist.

There IS plenty to do 'round here; it's been a long time since we swept or mopped.  Plus I just found out we're probably moving in December, so I've got a bunch of old crap I want to go through and get rid of.

And all this work on my computer IS the thing that most closely resembles my typical day job.  Except for the part where it gets to be 12:30 in the morning and I find myself thinking damn it, I need to get to bed.

I've had absolutely zero luck keeping a stable schedule, but that's nothing new. I couldn't keep one even when I worked full time. My body refuses to do anything other than a 26 hour cycle.

Yeah, I've got a bit of that going on too.  Slept better last night than the previous couple of nights, but still not great.  Wound up sleeping from around 1 AM to 10 AM; still no headaches, which is good.

Anyway.  Off to the elliptical machine.  And then breakfast I guess.  Not sure what I want to eat -- I've got some turkey bacon to reheat but that's not sounding terribly appetizing just now.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: October 31, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »

I gotta say, I've got a job and even when work a lot I can't sleep for shit most nights. Take tonight for example, went to bed at 4:30, fell asleep around 5, woke back up at 9:45. That's just how I work, I'll sleep 3-5 hours for 2-3 days then on the 4th or so get a full 7-8 hours. Hell, the fact that I refuse to be even late for work, much less miss work or fall asleep during my shifts is one of the reasons I sleep so little sometimes. I'll not be able to fall asleep all night then 11AM or Noon will roll around, I'll finally pass out for a bit then be back up at 2PM for work... Still, when I was unemployed I did try to keep myself busy too, I would run my dogs for a while or do yard work or even just read a book. I don't really feel the need to be filling every hour with shit, I can just sit with a book, my headphones on and a good album playing or my guitar and feel good about my day as long as I take a break in eating cheetos and playing video games....

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2411 on: October 31, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »

See, I've barely gamed at all.  I'm in one of those "too busy setting up my computer to play games to actually play them" phases.

Really should get back to ME2.  You know, for testing purposes.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 31, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

This job is shit. 

I have no desire to enumerate the reasons why this job is ass.  Be satisfied that, even if you're unemployed, chances are your job is better than mine.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: October 31, 2012, 01:37:15 PM »

Okay, that was out of line.  I have a paycheck.  But the problem is that the supervisors have this good ol boy club that I am not a part of, so everyone outside that circle is miserable, spending their days counting down until they get that call for a better job outside.

I want to job hunt, but I would rather finish school first.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2414 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:45 PM »

Welp, thanks to Google Street View it is clear to me that that address is not a doctor's office, it is some dude's house.  Possibly the doctor's, I don't know, but at any rate it saved me biking over there to see what's up.

The next half-dozen pulmonologists it lists are all at the local hospital, and after that is the guy I already went to and don't like very much.  Sigh.  I just want a new inhaler, dammit.

Guess I can still go buy comics, though.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: October 31, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »

'Course I still fall asleep at work once in a while.

Annnnnnnd in the meeting today. In spite of all the pop I drank. God those things are so boring.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: October 31, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »

Welp, thanks to Google Street View it is clear to me that that address is not a doctor's office, it is some dude's house.  Possibly the doctor's, I don't know, but at any rate it saved me biking over there to see what's up.

The next half-dozen pulmonologists it lists are all at the local hospital, and after that is the guy I already went to and don't like very much.  Sigh.  I just want a new inhaler, dammit.

Guess I can still go buy comics, though.

Many doctors operate their offices out of their homes.  This is where my Dentist's office is.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: October 31, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »

I fall asleep at practically every meeting.  I'd worry about developing a reputation for it except the clockwork regularity means nobody particularly cares.  I think.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: October 31, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »

Yeah, but aren't you the manager?

I mean, this is far from the first meeting I've ever fallen asleep in, but still...

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: October 31, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »

I'm the lead of a team that currently has one person on it, who is the lead.

So, no, not a manager.