Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: Primary Wars  (Read 43936 times)

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Primary Wars
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2008, 10:40:03 PM »

McCain -- well, he hasn't really BEEN under pressure these last few months; he's just been grinning while the Dems fight amongst themselves.  Once things start to heat up, that may change -- I don't think he has a volatile temper so much as a tendency to make sarcastic remarks when presented with uncomfortable questions, but the media has already shown it's more than capable of spinning the latter into the former.

Well, considering I have two 12's of beer riding on that "Maverick", I just hope he performs as well in November as the last time the majority discarded him on the sidelines..

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2008, 11:47:49 AM »

Something I've been thinking about today:

What happens to my governor?

Janet Napolitano is a real aberration, a popular Democratic governor in Arizona.  She's on the Democratic Governors Association Executive Committee, and until recently was the chair of the National Governors Association.  Her term limit's up in 2 years, but she's not going away.

I've been saying for years she should run for McCain's Senate seat when he retires, but the more I think about it the less I think the Senate would be the best place for her.

I don't see her getting picked as VP -- though that would be exciting from where I'm sitting as it would put Arizona in play -- but she could be a good Attorney General.  On the other hand, cabinet members don't generally run for President, let alone get elected, and I think she could really have a shot at it in a few years.  (Remember that this year is an aberration -- senators almost never get elected President; governors frequently do.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #282 on: May 06, 2008, 12:23:41 PM »

Just saw several headlines about McCain saying he'd use Roberts and Alito as templates for his Supreme Court picks.

That brings us back to "you have to court the base AND the swing voters" -- this is not a good way to court swing voters.  I know what Guild's take on this without him volunteering it -- "he's just pandering, he won't actually do it" -- which DOES have some history to support it, what with Bush in '04 pushing for the anti-gay marriage amendment (which, in McCain's defense, he opposed) and promptly ignoring it once the election was over -- but Bush still threw a bone to the religious base with Roberts and Alito, and McCain is far-right on the abortion issue.

I don't think yakking about "activist judges" is going to swing the election.  Though I've always been amused by Bush Republicans whining about "activist judges" when it's activist judges who gave us a Bush Administration in the first goddamn place.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 06, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »

Well, duh. They're only activist judges if they make rulings they don't agree with.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 06, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »

Okay, your election pandering confuses me. 

I see on the news Obama on the podium declaring something dumb like "bringing America oil security", while talking about a gas tax summer.

Depending on foreign interests for oil is the only way you would sustain such a need.

Then there's Obama bitching to Clinton about her war threats to Iran in retaliation..

Talk about the burnt pot calling the kettle black..

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 06, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »

:?:

Seriously, link or something. You've lost me.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 06, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »

I see on the news Obama on the podium declaring something dumb like "bringing America oil security", while talking about a gas tax summer.
Obama is against removing the tax over the summer, while Clinton and McCain are for it.  I mean, sure, it's not a huge step towards fixing all our energy crises, but lowering the price of gas artificially during heavy travel months sure isn't going to help remove our oil dependence.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 06, 2008, 09:09:34 PM »

Correction noted.  I messed up in the interpretation of an article I read the other day. 

With Regards to (2), Obama's critique

Where the hypocrisy lies

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 07, 2008, 01:24:52 AM »

So, a thought occurred to me.

How does the Democratic nomination work?  You need a simple majority of the delegate votes, 2025 of the 4048 total votes, right?

But there aren't 4048 votes.  Michigan's 157 votes and Florida's 211 votes aren't being counted, they're getting no delegate seats.  Which reduces the number of total votes to 3680, of which a simple majority would be 1841 votes.

And CNN puts Obama at 1836 right now.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 07, 2008, 06:19:49 AM »

:gasp: HOLY MOLY SHIT!

Stop the presses! Alert the trades! Call the campaigns! Obama already hit the litmus!

... Or, you know, 2025 is the delegate count needed without Michigan & Florida included.

:facepalm:

Meanwhile, news is that Clinton has loaned to her campaign again, this time to the tune of $6.4 million. She has apparently canceled all press junctions for today and tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDm3dEz9mmk

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 07, 2008, 06:30:29 PM »

Oh, my bad.  Internet sources mislead me.

Nevermind.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 07, 2008, 07:26:46 PM »

Internet sources mislead me.

:gasp:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #292 on: May 07, 2008, 11:57:06 PM »

Technically, the Florida and Michigan delegates WILL be seated...after the winner has already been picked.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 08, 2008, 06:52:54 PM »

I'm getting a distinct vibe that Hillary and Obama both know it's over and they're playing damage control to keep people from feeling disenfranchised. The tone of hostility that's been in all of their speeches and comments the last month has considerably died down since Obama's 14 point NC win. Comments like "I will do my best to support whoever gets nominated" and an emphasis on focusing on bringing down McCain coming out of the Hillary camp is almost surreal after all of the negative campaigning that's gone on since the primary got ugly after super tuesday.

I suspect Clinton's going to drop out altogether by the end of may, and is just using this opportunity to try to ease her base into accepting Obama. She wants to lose gracefully, I think, and if she does a good enough job of it she may save her political career in the process.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 08, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »

She wants to lose gracefully, I think, and if she does a good enough job of it she may save her political career in the process.

Or not.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 08, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »

farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

oh hillary, you're so zany.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 08, 2008, 08:27:09 PM »

Honestly.

Things have no become so wacky that she's actually trumpeting the fact that she's the white trash candidate. Actually going out there and shouting "I can win the uneducated vote! I can win the indigent vote! I can win the low-income vote!"

Shit man, I don't even care if it DID get her the White House... that's still nothing to actually celebrate. The fact that she's going to lose anyway is only making this more tragically hilarious.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #297 on: May 09, 2008, 01:21:10 AM »

I think it was a dumb damn choice of words, and she should apologize for it, but I also assume that's not really what she meant to say.

IM: Dean got in some hot water four years ago for saying he wanted to appeal to people with Confederate Flag bumper stickers on their pickups.  I think it was an unfortunate turn of phrase, but I think the idea is sound -- Democrats need to find a way to make inroads to the south.

That said, you're both right -- not only was Clinton's choice of words offensive, but come down to it, I'd rather alienate the crackers and lose than sacrifice my principles and win.

Then again, I have to face the reality that that kind of thinking could put McCain in the White House.

I think the upshot is that we need to find common ground, the things that make us all human and that we all agree on.  Of course, that's abstract as hell and awfully hard to turn into actual policy, but I think we may be reaching a point like that, where we see that our similarities outweigh our differences.

Don't know.  I'd like to see history made here, but...well, hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up first.

Which should really be the Clinton campaign slogan.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 09, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »

Just another calculated turn. With North Carolina finished, going all out for Whites was the next strategy. She didn't take the latest news too well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Lstkiexhc

With Regards to (2), Obama's critique

Where the hypocrisy lies

Better that Obama oppose one notion than agree with both, or say nothing on the Obliteration remark altogether. This also doesn't strike me as pandering. There is no overly vocal voice demanding we go searching in Pakistan, which could signal that Obama is privy to intel, but anyone can see the region is falling apart.

Meanwhile, he's about to exceed her in SuperDelegates, coincidently as her supporters engage on a warpath.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 09, 2008, 01:59:31 PM »

From the related tab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUbT078Ezv0

It may be the greatest indicator of who Hillary's supporters are.

EDIT: My, that is a big swastika, just right in the middle of that post, there.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25