Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 45

Author Topic: Culture Wars  (Read 73431 times)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Wars
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »

I was watching Fox News (not my choice, the restaurant I was eating at had it playing), and on it there was a guy going on a tirade against the G.I. Joe movie, because of how it portrays a certain minority: the wealthy.

Yeah.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »

:THATWAY:  Minorities get to complain about that stuff because they're facing various levels of oppression due to public images of them.

I would like to say more, but I can't without somehow managing to shove my foot in my own mouth or just break down into the basic theme of the message: :fuckyou:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »

Whatever.  FOX News has pretty much internalized the public perception that they're basically the Jerry Springer of mainstream news reporting at this point.  They know they're pandering to the bottom of the barrel now, and they've found there's a particularly rich sludge down there to scrape up.  When they seem to go screaming off the edge of the lunatic rightmost fringe, they're just playing a lot of disenfranchised stupid people with too much money for suckers, and I can't get particularly angry about that.

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »

Last complaint I heard was about how the new movie is not American enough. No muscloids shooting the darned Japs with red-white-and-blue uniforms like in the good ol' days, but this cyber-ninja bullshit instead.

CLEARLY AN AFFRONT TO ALL THAT'S AMERICAN! SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »

...I saw an article on Fox News today bitching about how Pelosi called people who disagree with her un-American.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »

Seeing all this crazy bullshit whenever I see a television station with any kind of news on it takes a bit of the sting out of living with my parents in Canada.

Just a bit.

:loser:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2009, 11:57:45 PM »

Discovered today that Conservapedia's gone ban-crazy lately: entire subnets, ISPs and countries, as well as any user who doesn't use their real name. Over 500 blocks in the past month, 742 in the month of June.

I could go on, but instead you should read this article by Philip J. Rayment, a Conservapedia admin who resigned in March of this year out of disgust over what Conservapedia had become. Some choice quotes:

Unlike many at RationalWiki and elsewhere who would like to see Conservapedia fail at its goal, like some others I wanted it to succeed at what it ostensibly is—a good, accurate, family-friendly encyclopaedia suitable for students written from a "conservative" or Christian point of view.  Unfortunately, I simply cannot see that happening, and my opinions have changed.

Almost three years since it began, most of Conservapedia's actual articles are still stubs. The longest articles are partially or wholly pieces of propaganda: even a relatively apolitical article like "deacon" has a section on why the Catholic church hierarchy is that of the pagan Roman church. Meanwhile, its front page has received as many hits in total as Wikipedia's front page does in a day.

Nobody seems to want to actually write encyclopedia articles. Certainly not among the leaders. Instead they seem to spend all their time having debates or attacking biologists or writing pseudo-articles like 'Liberal bias' or 'Hollywood Values'.

Articles created by Conservapedia founder Andy Schlafly's include several neologisms which he appears to have invented himself, seemingly to explain why he's always right and everyone else is a deceitful liberal: "Conservapedia's Law" (that the number of new conservative words invented doubles every century, proving conservatism superior), "emotional gambling", "evolution syndrome", "professor values", and "last wordism".

Similar articles, all started by Schlafly, about why anyone who doesn't agree with him is wrong: "liberal deceit" (why people who don't agree with me tend to be liars), "liberal myths" (claiming a population explosion is a trick to promote abortion), "liberal obfuscation", "liberal redefinition", "liberal tools" (hint: #1 is deceit), "liberal tricks", "liberals and friendship" (liberals will only be your friend if you accept liberal values), "liberal falsehoods", "liberal intellectualism", "liberal logic" (nonsensical logic), and "liberal supremacist". There's also a fantastic article called "Mystery: Why Do Non-Conservatives Exist?"

One of the more senior administrators, DanH, resigned in protest over the Barack Obama article. Another administrator had told me in an e-mail that he was also dissatisfied and was considering resigning in protest. I wondered if I should too, but also realised that such an act of protest was not seen by Andy or other administrators as cause to reconsider.

This refers to the article titled "Barack Hussein Obama", which includes a twenty-three point essay on why Obama is likely to be a Muslim.

Another user and I both produced evidence in the form of various authorities saying that the translation was changed. Andy, however, continued to insist that the claims that the translation was changed were false claims made by evolutionists. When he was challenged to produce evidence, he merely said that he'd spent too much time on the issue and that we should all move on.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2009, 03:21:57 AM »

why

why do you care

why read it

they're aliens. they're devils. they're not human and can't be human. even looking at them, gesturing in their direction, making fun of them, grants them undeserved legitimacy.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2009, 05:45:52 AM »

Because it's fun watching nutjobs be nutjobs.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »

They're not nutjobs. That implies insanity. They're perfectly sane and know exactly what they're doing and they are doing it because somehow their values have become twisted and they want everyone everywhere to suffer and die.

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2009, 01:49:50 PM »

It feels vaguely odd that we're calling them nutjobs and talking about how their values are twisted when they're busy writing articles called "Mystery: Why Do Non-Conservatives Exist?".

Then again, most of my family is stupid conservative, so I can see the brainwashing up close. Still, there's gotta be some way out of this pit.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »

Still, there's gotta be some way out of this pit.

:imagination:A well funded, and executed public education system :imagination:

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2009, 02:46:41 PM »

We will pile up the bodies of our enemies until the mound of waste blocks out the sun.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2009, 03:19:58 PM »

THE SUN IS NOT A RIVER
:mahboi:
IT IS A SERIES OF TUBES

It's going to take a Chuck Norris kick to clear all this base out of the collective consciousness of the internet.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »

I did not intend that to be a comment on the nature of "net culture," but you can take it that way. It would make me feel happy.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »

Transportation

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:42 PM »

While I'm tempted use a model of reactionaries at the top and idiots at the bottom for most things, when people are actually saying they don't want to be taxed to pay for welfare on principle alone then, yeah, being ignorant on most things can't really contradict the maliciousness in that statement.

Fuck You I've Got Mine, etc.

We will pile up the bodies of our enemies until the mound of waste blocks out the sun.

they have numerical superiority and guns

this seems infeasible

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »

But we have brains and ethics on our side! :nyoro~n:

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2009, 05:06:30 PM »

While I'm tempted use a model of reactionaries at the top and idiots at the bottom for most things, when people are actually saying they don't want to be taxed to pay for welfare on principle alone then, yeah, being ignorant on most things can't really contradict the maliciousness in that statement.

Fuck You I've Got Mine, etc.

The thing is, most of these people are religious.  Christian to be specific, and thus it should be possible to persuade them out of their hatred of the poor by appealing to them via the teachings of Ysha Yeshua Yesaus Jesaus Jesus.  The fuckers like Cheney, who hate the poor and are disciples of Satan himself not religious at all, however are still impossible to deal with at all.  Luckily, I really don't think they make up a significant amount of votes.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »

I'm changing this thread icon to an anigif of a dog chasing its tail.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 45