Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58

Author Topic: Jap Cartoons  (Read 93287 times)

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Jap Cartoons
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 11:16:58 PM »

oh

well... uh

thank you. :kowhyee:
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Al Baron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »

Anyone remember the Double K fan spin-off of TTGL? Well, that shit just got real. The guy only has the first four pages up, though.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 05:54:17 PM »

"The emperor has arrived."

50 episodes? Glorious.

Anyone remember Double K fan spin-off of TTGL?

What? What the hell are you talking abou

Well, that shit just got real.

O _ O

Oh my God.

Oh. My. God!

OH MY GOD!!

OH MY GOD.

REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER FOR BREAKFAST!?!?!

! C R U N C H !

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »

I'm looking forward to the New Space adventure cobra.

also, first episode of golgo 13 is fansubbed.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »

Al Baron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »

Not surprisingly, the product placements have been removed from the Code Geass US broadcast run. Wonder how they'll handle the coupon cards and the blowup Cheese-kun.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »

And what of the Yuri sisters? Will their thick crusts with extra sauce also be sliced?

Speaking of, watched the OVAs over the weekend, which really add up as a third season if you account for the run time between them all. Fourth season is said to be coming in July. Out of the thirty-three light novels released so far, the last dozen have apparently been treading water, with Sachiko still not graduated.

:doit: J-j-jam it in already, Yumi.

Al Baron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 05:55:57 PM »

I'm curious if it will be the dub because the Dvds with dub were coming out in 2009

Al Baron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 06:19:15 PM »

I'm curious if it will be the dub because the Dvds with dub were coming out in 2009

It's possible.

The English-language version of Gurren Lagann is currently being produced at Bang Zoom Entertainment under the supervision of Hiroe Tsukamoto of Aniplex of America, myself from Bandai Entertainment along with Bang Zoom’s capable director and producers. We’re working very hard to meet an extremely tight deadline to get it ready for TV broadcast so let’s hope that the deal goes through.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 11:59:49 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekShhzx-lY

Macross F has some...odd moments.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »

Too bad she broke her neck after wearing that all day.

Code PizaahutGeass: Not trying, or trying too hard?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 04:14:35 PM »

Why bother with the bikini at that point?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »

:LISTENU: Because without one, it would be obscene!

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 06:18:11 PM »

While Tower of Druaga has yet to top its fifth episode (episode eight came close), but it still adds another positive check mark to Director Koichi Chigira's (Full Metal Panic, Last Exile) career.

If only every episode could be a :trap: episode.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 11:35:43 PM »

Video editorial on the current state of subtitles in the fan community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJ_BWQ9Kow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFu9lh37X34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8oYz1dP0-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED3HAEjKUl0

And a rebuffer / rebuttal. Animation does hold a value that makes these text orgies more bearable, but the worst sin of sub projects not mentioned here has to be unintelligible fonts. Way to shoot yourself in the e-peen there, Samurai-X-Jr-sama-san-chan.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 12:33:03 AM »

Good watch. I disagree on some finer points, but in general its right on. Funny thing i sI just recently watched some stuff with sub groups name worked into the titles and I thought it was a little.... strange. I dunno how new that is since I barely watch anything, but it's not important.

I do think theres some things where it's better to use some japanese. Honorifics can come and go based on the series (If I was watching something in Japan, I'd prefer them, but got pissed when I saw them used in a Berserk fan sub). My only other disagreement is in the area of words that are 'terminology'. For example he pointed to Shinigami, but even both dubs of Bleach and Death Note use the term.

The only other disagreement would be on some cultural notes. I haven't watched Lucky Star, but from what I heard, without the notes there would be next to no way to get whats going on. Theres only a few shows like that and those audiences want to be able to understand things (since only super weeaboo fags watch Lucky Star).

The general message and most of the points are pretty much right on. Also, stupid fuckers need to stop using ugly ass, difficult to read fonts -- or glaringly colorful fonts. This is why soft subs are so much better.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 07:18:08 AM »

The general message and most of the points are pretty much right on. Also, stupid fuckers need to stop using ugly ass, difficult to read fonts -- or glaringly colorful fonts. This is why soft subs are so much better.

Nobody is allowed to complain about ugly, impossible to read fonts unless they watched Fushigi Yuugi fansubs back in the day.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 09:10:12 AM »

Honorifics never really bugged me all that much, at least when they're somewhat subtle about it, but I've since become entirely ready to wait upwards of half a year for a decent dub to hit the webterweb. Actioney stuff like Gurren Lagann and Black Lagoon have enough happening on-screen without me having to focus my attention at the bottom of the screen every three/four seconds.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2008, 10:01:42 AM »

Honorifics never really bugged me all that much

Being an unusually socially inept troglodyte, the honorifics are a shorthand that I appreciate in filling in the relationship between characters. Tho' when stuff is dubbed it freaks me out like nothing else. Though, even the best dub is going to have one lack-luster voice actor. However, if it's in japanese, I can't understand it enough to really mind how bad it might be. Ignorance is bliss!

Generally, my opinions skew towards that of the "rebuttal" excepting that I also kind of enjoy messy openings for some shows on their own merits. A few are done really well, and at the very least, don't detract from the experience. Then again, I tend to watch somewhat bombastic (and stupid) children's cartoons, so that kind of sophistry generally fits.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58