Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 56

Author Topic: Final Fucking Fantasy  (Read 95289 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Final Fucking Fantasy
« Reply #300 on: September 29, 2008, 03:08:40 PM »

FF6 had the best characters.

True, but -- as pointed out by Sora, of all people (a stuck clock is right twice a day) -- a lot of its charm comes down to the Woolsey translation.  Have you played the RPGOne version?  Apparently they've redone half of it since I played it, so it might be better now, but pretty much the only thing it had going for it in version 1.0 was cursing.

FFX had the best gameplay.

Change "gameplay" to "combat system" and I'm willing to agree.  The dungeon maps sucked, though.  I believe it was you who described them as having all the complexity of Super Mario Bros levels.

I'll repeat that 6 is my favorite but that Chrono Trigger has aged better -- the GBA version of 6 was a joy, particularly with its script that was twice as detailed as the original while still maintaining the aforementioned Woolsey charm, but the truth is I'm getting too fucking old for random encounters.

Honestly, I would not mind seeing an FF4 DS-style remake of FF6.  What with the voice acting and whatnot, provided they preserve the GBA port bonus content.

Now see, for my money FF6A's bonus content was MUCH less important than FF4A's.  Getting to choose your endgame party in 4 is a much bigger deal than the Dragon Cave.  (Never finished the Dragon Cave.  It's nice to have something that can kill the party that beat Kefka in two rounds, but no magic AP and no save points?  Come the fuck ON.)

That said, a good rebalancing is just what 6 needs.  Things like Bum Rush shouldn't be game-breaking.  ...Don't know WHAT they could do about the old eight-hits thing, though.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 29, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »

Double Post to make a shocking statement more shocking:

FF7, of all goddam things, probably had the most compelling - if somewhat muddled - overarching narrative

Agreed. They also seemed to spend a lot of time ripping the player away from the better parts of that narrative. Midgar was pretty bad ass for it's time, the Shinra Company more so. Maybe if it took place entirely in Midgar...

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #302 on: September 29, 2008, 03:12:59 PM »

Missed about a page there.  Moving back:

I can't help but respect 10 at least a little for so blatantly admitting they ran out of ideas and didn't care.

"The bad guy is SIN.  SIN is bad.  Bad SIN."

In fairness, arguably the best RPG of the 32-bit era contains the line, "Luca Blight is a blight on this land."

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 29, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »

True, but -- as pointed out by Sora, of all people (a stuck clock is right twice a day) --
6:10:50!

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #304 on: September 29, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »

True, but -- as pointed out by Sora, of all people (a stuck clock is right twice a day) --
6:10:50!
>edger_jason.jpg

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #305 on: September 29, 2008, 04:06:51 PM »

Well, also: Gilgamesh > Ultros

You're nothing more than a stupid octopus.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 29, 2008, 04:10:01 PM »

Nevertheless, clearly I am wrong because I dislike FF6.

:strawman:

Well, yeah, that was the joke. Thank you for explaining it to everybody.

FF6 sucks

This is wrong.

FF6 wasn't very good to me because of my unique experience and timing with it.

This is correct.

I'm sorry that I can't just let you walk around spewing verbal diarrhea, but not everybody has quite as large a "Reaction Shot" folder as I do.

Well, how good could it be, then? I mean, my "unique experience and timing" (I owned a Genesis) wasn't much different with Chrono Trigger, which I played after Chrono Cross (which I loved, many times over), but that didn't stop me from having a blast with it anyway. Ditto Final Fantasy V.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 29, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »

Dude, are you trying to break every interest predicting AI on the planet?
Out of curiosity, which did you play first? FF6 or CT?

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 29, 2008, 04:21:49 PM »

As much as I hate disagree with DN, I can sorta see where he's coming from since I feel somewhat the same way about Chrono Trigger.  I don't hate it, but whenever someone sings its endless praises (sup parish), I just want to hate it more.  Very iconoclastic of me, I know, but for some reason I just never held CT to be as venerable as FF6 or even FF4.

Maybe I'll replay it when it hits DS and pop a million boners.  Who knows?

Note: I played FF1, 4, 6, 7 and 8 in the order of American release.  CT was played after FF6 but before FF7.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 29, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »

I'm just not sure what's not to like about CT. But perhaps it has a lot to do with my amazing tolerance for tedium.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #310 on: September 29, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »

It's too short and has a cast of characters assembled entirely of cliches.

That said, the stuff it does wrong is pretty heavily outweighed by the stuff it does right and, as I noted earlier, the stuff it does that STILL seems novel 13 years later.

Final Fantasy 4 and 6 have aged better than any of the rest of the series, but they're still starting to show their seams if you give them another play-through.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 29, 2008, 08:03:09 PM »

FF6 had the best characters.

True, but -- as pointed out by Sora, of all people (a stuck clock is right twice a day) -- a lot of its charm comes down to the Woolsey translation.  Have you played the RPGOne version?  Apparently they've redone half of it since I played it, so it might be better now, but pretty much the only thing it had going for it in version 1.0 was cursing.

...what's wrong with a decent translation being largely responsible for a game's quality?  There are certainly some games that suffered horribly for poor ones, and some that are overrated for their good ones (not naming names, we're already having too many debates in this topic already), so the translation is basically a part of the package you're buying.

Besides, it's not like the characters don't stand on their own... the dashing thief, the troubled mage, the goofy but strong-hearted knight... you notice something about those archetypes?  They didn't necessarily show up in 1-5 in such forms, but when Square went and thought of the "classics" when cocking up FFIX, they naturally went for Locke, Terra and Cyan.

FFX had the best gameplay.

Change "gameplay" to "combat system" and I'm willing to agree.  The dungeon maps sucked, though.  I believe it was you who described them as having all the complexity of Super Mario Bros levels.

Okay, point.  But lately I've been learning to appreciate minimalist dungeon layouts, especially from Square.  Complicated mazes, like random battles, just... don't work in the new dimension.

Honestly, I would not mind seeing an FF4 DS-style remake of FF6.  What with the voice acting and whatnot, provided they preserve the GBA port bonus content.

That said, a good rebalancing is just what 6 needs.  Things like Bum Rush shouldn't be game-breaking.  ...Don't know WHAT they could do about the old eight-hits thing, though.

Honestly you'll have broken the game way before you get Bum Rush.  Which, really, proves your point.

Could go for an FF6 rebalancing too, with each character having a more defined role.  As much as I loved Locke, his Steal ability was pretty unattractive compared to Blitz, Slot, Dance etc., and Celes/Terra become almost irrelevant when everyone gains the ability to sling around spells (not that I ever used anything that wasn't Cure).

A stricter economy, limits on what spell each character can learn, a total re-leveling of everyone's secondary powersets and making almost esoteric shit like Desperation more accessible, would be aces.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 29, 2008, 08:08:17 PM »

Celes' Runic blows chunks, but you didn't abuse Terra's Morph? :wat: I guess you didn't need it, but... If the idea of having a naked pink girl doing horrible things to your enemies wasn't appealing I don't know what was.

I also liked Locke's steal ability a lot more when it started getting me a million genji gloves.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 29, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »

Throwing Locke at a few choice bosses is funny, but again, you don't really need to do that.

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #314 on: September 29, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »

Atma Weapon was the coolest pixel weapon ever. A gold and blue light saber that was twice your size,AND left tracers where ever the fuck it went. Fuck Rainbow Katana, Atma Weapon was ball'n.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 29, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »

I have had a weird experience with the series. My first Final Fantasy was 8. My second was 10, and only then did I go back and enjoy the earlier ones. I'm not sure how much this has scarred me.
...but is it art?

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 29, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »

Atma Weapon was the coolest pixel weapon ever. A gold and blue light saber that was twice your size,AND left tracers where ever the fuck it went. Fuck Rainbow Katana, Atma Weapon was ball'n.

I would actually submit that Atma Weapon is ABAP. When i played through FF6 whoever i liked the most got the damn laser sword.

Where's Lee-Ham's post on the FF series' recursion? I quite want to read it now, having beaten my head against two of the series' most recent installments (and finally finding out that my FF11 account was cancelled... last month, without me doing anything about it).

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 29, 2008, 10:11:47 PM »

Pretty much the opposite.  The series is like 60% lame.  No, wait.

66% lame.  Less if you take it on faith that 3 is actually pretty good if you can withstand the torturous introduction sequence.

Where's Lee-Ham's post on the FF series' recursion?

First page I think.

EDIT: Yep.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 29, 2008, 10:15:38 PM »

Oh, so it is.

I was going to say he was wrong about FF12 having a bunch of interesting characters, but then i remembered all the people who you don't play as are pretty compelling, particularly the imperials.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 29, 2008, 10:24:38 PM »

Oh I dunno, some of the more important NPCs were pretty obnoxious too.

*snort* *snort* *grovel* *grovel*
*kupo*
*snort* *snort* addle-pated *snort* *spit*
Wot?  Din't paey?  You got blood on me knoif mate!

Etcetera.

You know what kills me?  Two of the characters I actually liked got shot and stabbed to death before the game even began.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 56