Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

There can only be one

Final Fantasy VI
- 13 (35.1%)
Chrono Trigger
- 24 (64.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS  (Read 32803 times)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger DS
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »

You know, I actually like Chrono Cross more than Trigger. Oh sure, the story is a jumbled mess, but for me just about everything else tastes better. Music, characters, world, gameplay.

...I guess that's not really surprising coming from someone who thinks unique run animations are just as good as character development.

I never said that I--

...I fucking hated Harle.

:disapprove:

You monster.

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 20, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »

Honestly, I think I like hating Chrono Cross more than I like Chrono Cross.  There's just so much to hate: The conflicting models of time travel; the glut of useless characters with absolutely no bearing on the plot (such as it is); the fact that Serge manages to screw up the world, save it, then screws it up again before saving it again; the surprising speed with which elements are outclassed by physical attacks (or possibly not, it's been a while); the fact that despite having more foreshadowing than Anakin becoming Vader and an asston of chances for prior warning Kid still gets stabbed by Serge...

Also, because I like numbers: Between all 45 characters in Chrono Cross, there are exactly 11 Dual and Triple Techs.  For comparison's sake, the 77 playable characters in Suikoden had 24 combination attacks, spread amongst two, three and four-person attacks.  Suikoden 2 had a similar number of characters, but had 35 such attacks.  Now I understand that it was a little easier to handle that sort of thing in Suikoden, what with the battle graphics being sprite-based.  But I still think that this is... well, "interesting" is probably too strong a word... but what gives?  I thought the whole point of sequels was to shamelessly ape whatever brought you success in the first game.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »

Unfortunately, they chose to try and ape the cast and the plot.

And to a lesser extent the bitching fights, which they also failed horribly at. For everything entirely fucking wrong with him and Serge, the Lynx fights are pretty interesting and cool. And the last boss, the Time Devourer, is epic as all get-out.

Except they still can't hold a candle to your being ten years old and fighting Black Tyrano, Magus, Giga Giygas, Masamune, the Dragon Tank, Dalton + Golems, Lavos, etc...

Oh man and that giant Guardian thing when you first go to the future, I was always heady with anticipation that I'd have to remember how to beat that guy.

Oh fuck I might've just talked myself into buying this for the DS. Oh, wait.. still got my Playstation Port copy. All is well!

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »

Next Wednesday on Retronauts is gonna be the Radical Dreamers/Chrono Cross episode.
Playstation Port copy. All is well!
:MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA:

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »

DS Version has the Playstation cutscenes, and no load times.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »

It has the Playstation cutscenes?  Is this CONFIRMED (for Brawl)?

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »

I've been playing the DS version SUPER LEGALLY (turns out the Japanese version has full English mode)... so, yeah, the cutscenes are all there. Having played through CT a million times, I am really anxious to get to the new endgame quests.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2008, 02:16:15 AM »

I've been playing the DS version SUPER LEGALLY (turns out the Japanese version has full English mode)... so, yeah, the cutscenes are all there. Having played through CT a million times, I am really anxious to get to the new endgame quests.

Thank you for this information. I will not use it in any way.

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2008, 08:14:04 AM »

Then you also won't want to know that there's some weird deal with the game that causes it to stop working on COMPLETELY LEGAL systems that requires you to find a patched version or Action Replay codes.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »

Then you also won't want to know that there's some weird deal with the game that causes it to stop working on COMPLETELY LEGAL systems that requires you to find a patched version or Action Replay codes.

You're right. Totally uninterested. I definitely didn't get stuck in the first portal, lost in the streams of time forever.

...thanks.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:36 PM »

Sounds like a version of the game I might actually enjoy.

"Hey Crono, jump into this weird portal thingy!"
"OKAY!"
*falls out of space and time, the end*

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2008, 02:16:15 PM »

...so okay.  What's the story on Frog's theme being 8 bars shorter in-game than it is on the OST and everywhere else?  I've always thought that was weird.

It occurs to me that both Crono's and Marle's themes have extended arrangements, but "extended" in those cases means more than 8 extra bars.

Also, they're both played in-game.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 23, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »

Chalk these up to 'rumors'. I read them on a place with a hard on for killing rumors and telling the truth, so point for them, but as I lack the game in my own warm hands, still chalking it up to rumor.

The new CTDS dungeon connects to Chrono Cross in a few ways:
Characterwise: [spoiler]The final boss explains how Magus became Guile[/spoiler]
Settingwise: [spoiler]The dungeon itself shows how Dalton fucked Guardia in Cross[/spoiler]

If they are true: :8D:
It not:  ::(:

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 23, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »

The first of the new dungeons is one huge chain of fetch quests. You get some really rad stuff if you go through them all though.

It also throws money at you. :victory:

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 23, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »

I have no problem with fetch quests provided the environments in between the stops are interesting.
...but is it art?

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 23, 2008, 09:34:54 PM »

Lyrai: [spoiler]That is true, although I haven't completed them yet so I don't know anything about the Magus/Guile thing. I do know that the new final boss is[/spoiler] EVEN BIGGER SPOILER [spoiler]the Dream (not Time, apparently) Devourer that has a blue-haired Schala attached to it. The Dalton thing is 100% true and ties into the cutscenes created for the PSX version that show a long-haired man attacking Guardia and also relates to statements made by the Chrono series' creator who said that Porre had help from outside their own time.[/spoiler]

I'm still doing the new fetch quest-related dungeons and they're fun if only because it's more Chrono Trigger and I always hate it when the game ends and I have to stop playing and I don't always feel like doing a New Game + right away for the different endings.

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 23, 2008, 10:02:44 PM »

Nine years later and the plot holes of Chrono Cross (and the ones CC added to CT by extension, I guess) are finally explained?  Interesting.  Because, you know, it was so hard to fit that information into CC someplace.  I mean, it's not like they could just stick some NPC someplace to infodump it all for you; that would just be sloppy.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 23, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »

I haven't played CC to completion, but I am going to assume this is exactly what happened.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #298 on: November 23, 2008, 11:12:34 PM »

What plot was there WAS generally deus-ex-machinaed by NPC's and ending narration, yes, but it was still full of holes, most of which have already been addressed.

And what was there swung between "incoherent" and "stupid".

...A thought: if they're actually going to this much trouble to try to make Cross make sense, you know that means the thought of rereleasing IT has crossed their minds.

I predict we'll see a rerelease of Cross...but I further predict that we won't see it in the next five years.

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 23, 2008, 11:43:25 PM »

...but some of said holes were addressed elsewhere entirely, i.e. not in the game, which is the sticking point.  It's not unreasonable to expect a game's story to be entirely in the game and not, say, in something you need to import or wait for someone else to import and translate.  Unless I'm misreading something.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24