Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Author Topic: Mother  (Read 23664 times)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Mother
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »

From what I've played of it, I actually thought Mother3 was better than both of its predecessors. Its life and charm reminded me of everything its predecessor was, with a little more punch to everything.
:;_;: N-no crying 'til the end!

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »

Not just a matter of "oh yay weird shit", there's no shortage of that.  I mean in terms of, like ... fuck it i'll just spoilertag the whole thing.  Not safe for spoilers if you haven't beaten the game.

[spoiler]The very tiny world in which you play, which I think goes hand in hand with a focus that's a lot more "go fetch this plot coupon" and a lot less of exploration.  I thought the cast was pretty lackluster, with most of the people you interact with having essentially nothing to them except that interaction ... and really, is "Lucas's dog" really the best they can do for the fourth party member?  The plot came off as a lot more lockstep than Earthbound's did, with your actions being essentially limited to "Go to the place we marked on your map for your next widget", and little to no reason to go back to anywhere or revisit things.  That ties a lot into the size of the game, too.  They're comparably long, but Earthbound got its length legitimately, by having a ton of places to go and a huge variety of things to see, where Mother 3 is a short game that pads itself with level grind.

Your objective for much of the game was both depressingly limited and absolutely primatized - you go to where the Needle you currently know about is and pull it, and the Magypsie there will tell you where the next one is, right up until the endgame - and then when you finally get to New Pork City you get a massive exposition dump.  The whole Claus thing was blindingly obvious as soon as the first Needle was pulled, which I guess makes it better that they didn't try to play it up as any sort of surprise, but the fact that his big sad death was self-inflicted after he came to his senses ... well, that kind of robbed it of the impact, for me.

Mechanically, the timed hits system was pretty terrible.  Doubling my damage output if I happen to be good at rhythm games is not good design.  And while the scrolling HP thing in Earthbound was a nice little touch, Mother 3 made it a necessity.  Too often, particularly later in the game, I'd get hit with an attack that would kill my entire party, and spend my next turn rushing through menus to set up heals so I won't die.  Hell, the last fight with Claus was entirely about working the rolling HP meter to never technically die through like fifty rounds of being beat on.  It lost a lot by virtue of that.

What I loved about Earthbound, and still love about it, isn't as simple as just "quirky charm", like the TV Tropes page talks about.  That's certainly a nice thing, and it's not like Mother 3 doesn't have it, but whimsy isn't enough to captivate.  What set Earthbound apart, I feel, was more a sense of wonder to it.  You're going to all these vastly different places, seeing all these otherworldly things, and it really had a consistent feeling of childlike joy as your horizons are wildly, shockingly expanded.  Mother 3 doesn't have that.  It feels like it's trying to be more dark, but it came off as just a lot more dreary, with nothing like the psychological impact of Earthbound's sheer creepy.  There's no feeling of exploration, no feeling of awe.  And where the game stopped was just retarded.  I can't even call that an ending, because that implies some sense of "closure", or "resolution", or "anything".  And yes, I moved the "End?" thing around and talked to people until it went to credits.[/spoiler]
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »

AWESOME THINGS

For the most part, I would say that the examples listed should be required reading/viewing/playing for everyone who enjoys fun.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2008, 08:30:37 PM »

Not just a matter of "oh yay weird shit", there's no shortage of that.  I mean in terms of, like ... fuck it i'll just spoilertag the whole thing.  Not safe for spoilers if you haven't beaten the game.

Likewise for my response!

[spoiler]The very tiny world in which you play, which I think goes hand in hand with a focus that's a lot more "go fetch this plot coupon" and a lot less of exploration.  I thought the cast was pretty lackluster, with most of the people you interact with having essentially nothing to them except that interaction ... and really, is "Lucas's dog" really the best they can do for the fourth party member?  The plot came off as a lot more lockstep than Earthbound's did, with your actions being essentially limited to "Go to the place we marked on your map for your next widget", and little to no reason to go back to anywhere or revisit things.  That ties a lot into the size of the game, too.  They're comparably long, but Earthbound got its length legitimately, by having a ton of places to go and a huge variety of things to see, where Mother 3 is a short game that pads itself with level grind.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]It may not seem that way, but Mother 3 is actually LARGER than its predecessors.  The difference is that, rather than using cookie-cutter art assets to portray a progression of generic places and NPCs, it's the same places and NPCs portrayed in different ways over a longer period of time.  The central town in particular: people have new things to say after almost every event; and the town's gradual metamorphosis takes the place of the Onett -> Twoson -> Threed style progression.  Now, if you didn't like that approach, I don't know what to tell you; I found people like Bronson, Lighter, and the rest a lot deeper than even the central NPCs of Earthbound.

As for the "legitimacy" of their length, I find your assessment kind of backwards.  It's hard to tell this on an emulator, since desynch is such a big problem, but Mother 3 contains almost no grinding.  The first time I played through it, it was ridiculously difficult; I had to grind at the end of Chapter 1, in Osohe Castle, in the desert of Chapter 3, in the hallucinatory swamp, in the sewers under New Pork City--and still, boss battles were a bitch.  Three months later I finally broke down and imported the cartridge, and it was like a whole new game: I was getting 5- to 12-hit combos regularly, and I don't think I ever died in a regular battle.  Boss battles were still tough, but I almost always managed to scrape by; they felt hard in a fair way.  Now that I'm on emulator again while waiting for my eLink flash cart to arrive, well, it's back to being grindy.  I don't mind as much here, though, because dungeons aren't the slog they are in Earthbound; places like Peaceful Rest Valley, the desert mine with the five deadly moles, and the maze beneath the Pyramid just seem to go on way too long, to say nothing of Magicant.  Mother 3 breaks this up by having lots of little adventures and set-pieces; it almost reminds me of the first half of Final Fantasy VI, the way the game never really stops and settles into the usual RPG grooves.  Personally, I find that to be a very good thing.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Your objective for much of the game was both depressingly limited and absolutely primatized - you go to where the Needle you currently know about is and pull it, and the Magypsie there will tell you where the next one is, right up until the endgame - and then when you finally get to New Pork City you get a massive exposition dump.  The whole Claus thing was blindingly obvious as soon as the first Needle was pulled, which I guess makes it better that they didn't try to play it up as any sort of surprise, but the fact that his big sad death was self-inflicted after he came to his senses ... well, that kind of robbed it of the impact, for me.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]That's, like, barely half the game.  You can't disregard chapters one through six just because they don't conform to typical RPG expectations: there's a rescue in a burning forest, search parties in the rain, the quest to find Claus/avenge Hinawa, find the Valuable Thing in Osohe Castle (x2), satisfy Fassad's arbitrary demands while looking for some avenue of escape, the search for Duster (which turns into the search for the Hummingbird's Egg (which turns into the infiltration of the Lightning Tower))--all of which kind of ignores the point that while what you're trying to ultimately accomplish is important, yes, so are the methods you use to accomplish that.  So yeah, you may "only" be looking for one needle after another for that segment of the game, but that contains some of my favorite segments: traveling the ocean, hallucinating on the island, moving the water from one pool to the other oustide the Chimera Lab....

As for Claus, it was never supposed to be a surprise.  Likewise, I'd argue, with Hinawa's death.  These things are heavily foreshadowed, and immediately evident to anybody who sees the helmeted lieutenant.  For the most part, Mother 3 is not about sudden, unexpected revelations.  (Exceptions: Leder's text-dump, and the actual identity of Fassad.  Who, for my money, is probably the best character in any videogame ever.)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Mechanically, the timed hits system was pretty terrible.  Doubling my damage output if I happen to be good at rhythm games is not good design.  And while the scrolling HP thing in Earthbound was a nice little touch, Mother 3 made it a necessity.  Too often, particularly later in the game, I'd get hit with an attack that would kill my entire party, and spend my next turn rushing through menus to set up heals so I won't die.  Hell, the last fight with Claus was entirely about working the rolling HP meter to never technically die through like fifty rounds of being beat on.  It lost a lot by virtue of that.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I disagree?  I mean, for one thing, see above about the difficulty of the rhythm battles.  But for another, it's kind of philosophically appropriate: just as Earthbound's final battle requires "prayer" to succeed, Mother's final battle requires "singing".  Mother 3 switches things up by making those two inherent prerequisites in most of the difficult battles: you need to have enough rhythm to be able to tap your foot to the time-signature of the background music, and you need to have faith that you can execute combos without delaying your healing spells too much before your characters die.  Again, a lot of this is lost in emulation.

But yeah, the heal-before-death thing is definitely necessary.  And why shouldn't it be?  They actually slowed down the rate of health drop by a significant margin in the last battle, and the whole game still drops your health slower than Earthbound did.  You can spend, I don't know, 4 out of every 5 rounds in the last fight just guarding despite the fact that you're "mortally wounded", and then heal when you hit about 40 health; once your healing spell takes effect, just don't advance the text until your health is at max.  It's one of the easiest fights in the game.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]What I loved about Earthbound, and still love about it, isn't as simple as just "quirky charm", like the TV Tropes page talks about.  That's certainly a nice thing, and it's not like Mother 3 doesn't have it, but whimsy isn't enough to captivate.  What set Earthbound apart, I feel, was more a sense of wonder to it.  You're going to all these vastly different places, seeing all these otherworldly things, and it really had a consistent feeling of childlike joy as your horizons are wildly, shockingly expanded.  Mother 3 doesn't have that.  It feels like it's trying to be more dark, but it came off as just a lot more dreary, with nothing like the psychological impact of Earthbound's sheer creepy.  There's no feeling of exploration, no feeling of awe.  And where the game stopped was just retarded.  I can't even call that an ending, because that implies some sense of "closure", or "resolution", or "anything".  And yes, I moved the "End?" thing around and talked to people until it went to credits.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Again, man, we're probably going to have to agree to disagree.  I found more meaning and significance in the magypsies alone than just about anything in Earthbound.  It isn't just an attempt at darkness--Mother 3 has the maturity to say: nostalgia's nice, yes.  There's a time to let go.  Nothing lives forever, and trying to hold on for too long is more destructive than the evillest mastermind.  I loved Earthbound, and I held it on a pedestal until I played this game--and then I realized, well, that was nice, but I can move on.  I don't want to be Porky.  I don't want to let my sense of childish expectations warp everything around me into a hideous caricature.  The world will end someday, and everyone I know will be dead long before--let's have fun, and be good to one another in the meantime.[/spoiler]
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2008, 10:20:34 PM »

I knew if I waited a little bit Newbie would say everything I wanted to better.

thanx newbie
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2008, 10:28:46 PM »

I knew if I waited a little bit _____ would say everything I wanted to better.

:mahboi: We all try to chip in, here and there.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2008, 10:31:55 PM »

:victory: MY WORK HERE IS DONE! THANKS NIKU! THANKS ARC!

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2008, 10:33:58 PM »

I knew if I waited a little bit _____ would say everything I wanted to better.

:mahboi: We all try to chip in, here and there.

This is why I just read Real World instead of posting there.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »

[spoiler]
As for Claus, it was never supposed to be a surprise.  Likewise, I'd argue, with Hinawa's death.  These things are heavily foreshadowed, and immediately evident to anybody who sees the helmeted lieutenant.  For the most part, Mother 3 is not about sudden, unexpected revelations.  (Exceptions: Leder's text-dump, and the actual identity of Fassad.  Who, for my money, is probably the best character in any videogame ever.)[/spoiler]

It's still a japanese game, and the Japanese are -horrible- at being subtle with plot points. Remember the Evangelion episode where Toji was a pilot?

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2008, 11:34:05 PM »

Wait, what? Toji was the fourth pilot? Since when?

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2008, 11:34:57 PM »

It's still a japanese game, and the Japanese are -horrible- at being subtle with plot points. Remember the Evangelion episode where Toji was a pilot?

... Zara real life is not Star Wars. Not every member of every race adheres to the same stereotype. You boner.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2008, 01:56:41 AM »

Wait, what? Toji was the fourth pilot? Since when?

Toji was chosen as the 4th child mid-series.
The very next angel then reveals itself as having infected Toji's Eva.
Shinji refuses to fight (He doesn't know it's Toji, just that another kid is inside)
Rei gets her ass kicked.
Asuka is a gigantic bitch.
Gendo forcefully uses the Dummy Plug system to have Shinji's Eva wreck that shit.
Eva-01 actually rips the dummy plug out and crushes it with it's hand.
Shinji sees that it's Toji.
Shinji :ohshi~: s

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2008, 07:19:32 AM »

Cut to the class president cooking a delicious meal and humming happily to herself.  :sadpanda:

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2008, 07:25:41 AM »

Cut to the class president cooking a delicious meal and humming happily to herself.  :sadpanda:

You need to mention that the class president has the hots for Toji and had offered to make lunch for him to build up to confessing her love for maximum :sadpanda:

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »

God, I hate Evangelion.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2008, 08:54:36 AM »

The main reason it was so obvious on that show is because they spent an entire half an hour segment talking about nothing but "fourth child" and "Toji".  Two things that had been pretty much inconsequential until they suddenly became the center of the universe.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2008, 09:34:58 AM »

Quote from: TFrog's Thumbnail Theatre
Misato: Oh, she's a little upset about the Fourth Child. She's upset about who it is. You see, the Fourth Child is... that is to say, the person who will be piloting Unit-03... I mean, the next Eva pilot... the person's name... I don't know how to say this, but... well, the truth is.... you see, it's hard to explain this, but...

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »

Let me get this straight.  Shigesato Itoi and the Mother team are Japanese.  Studio Gainax is also Japanese.  Therefore, Mother 3 lacks subtlety.  Is that about right?

:wank:
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2008, 09:49:54 AM »

They also all have giant buck teeth and coke-bottle glasses and eyes so squinted up it's a wonder they can see through them, obvs.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2008, 09:52:48 AM »

Japanese works are known for not being subtle. There are exceptions and they are generally good.

But most of the time a point in an anime couldn't be more Anvilicious if they stopped the show right there and for five minutes just had the screen be a giant card with the words THE POINT IS THAT THE WAR AGAINST THE ANGELS IS TEARING FRIENDS APART AND IT IS SAD.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13