Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 42

Author Topic: Movies for Home Viewing  (Read 73602 times)

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies for Home Viewing
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2008, 12:31:04 AM »

I just got done watching Sukiyaki Western Django and ugh, did it suck. Tarantino cannot act, and neither can Japanese people trying to speak English.

How does it work as late night/party/hilarious fare?

Spaco

• LLC
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »

If I had been REALLY drunk, I might have enjoyed it. While it has some goofball violence, it has enough disturbing, ruthless violence to ruin any mindless enjoyment you were getting.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2008, 06:03:32 PM »

I had been recommended Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels for years and finally watched it (streams in HD!) tonight.  Loved it.  British humor galore, and while the end leaves a bit hanging, it was a great ride getting there.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2008, 08:34:32 PM »

I had been recommended Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels for years and finally watched it (streams in HD!) tonight.  Loved it.  British humor galore, and while the end leaves a bit hanging, it was a great ride getting there.

:perfect: I assume you've seen Snatch?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2008, 09:11:39 PM »

Once or twice.

...what movie?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2008, 07:18:31 AM »

No, but I just put in queue.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2008, 08:49:22 AM »

Kayma, you should bump up The Protector in your queue.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »

Kayma, you should bump up The Protector in your queue.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I just don't know that it will be the same without Fist of the Northstar music pumping in the background. Though I guess I could rig that up easily enough...

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2008, 01:28:21 PM »

I added Rikki-Oh to my list.  Willingly.

clutch

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »

I added Rikki-Oh to my list.  Willingly.

That's a great movie. Why would you have to add the caveat?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »

There's a split among some of my friends back home about it being a terrible movie or awesome movie.  I lean only slightly toward the awesome side.  I just want to see some guys get holes punched in them.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2008, 02:31:42 PM »

There's a split among some of my friends back home about it being a terrible movie

Extract blood from these individuals, and then test the samples with a hot wire.

Get back to us with the results.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »

I'd almost go as far to say that it would be a good barometer of how much I like a person.  If they can't dig a movie like Riki-Oh, I really don't want to spend much time with them.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2008, 05:56:50 PM »

See, sometimes i wonder why i get along with you lot, and then i suddenly remember. Riki-oh is truly the tie that binds.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »

I thought that was intestines.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2008, 06:32:33 PM »

:shrug: whiiiiichever!

Spaco

• LLC
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2008, 09:28:32 PM »

No, but I just put in queue.

Try Brick, too. It's hard to give a genre, but it has elements of British mobster movies, except with white American high schoolers?

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »

Brick is kinda noir. Maybe... lolita noir? In any case, it's good.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2008, 12:45:06 AM »

Tonight on Classic rambles about stuff: Disney's Aladdin
So in what could best be described as a climatically bad decision for the day,  I decided to switch out The Adventures of Baron Munchausen* for Aladdin into the VHS deck. With a decade between me and it I suddenly realize how I felt that the animated series was (almost) a worthwhile extension of its narrative when I was younger.
To make matters worse, I was just too young to really grasp how fantastically oversexed it was.

Watching it again, the following "thoughts" came to mind:
While doing the "Whole New World" number, the star couple visit the African Savannah, Greece, and China (and also maybe the clouds and egypt which makes the connection less worthwhile). I made maybe too big a deal out of it, as it's without a visit to the Americas or to France, but for some reason I prefer to imagine that both Pocahontas and Notre Dame aren't part of Disney cannon. The first because I didn't see it and the second because the lead femme is saucier than Jasmine and I don't want to join in the ranks of sad little boys people for whom Disney "princesses" had any sort of involvement in their sexual awakenings.

Also apparently vast new magical power demands that even one of the most controlled, intelligent villains be reduced to stupid puns. You're going to undo the carpet's weaving as it races to collect the lamp for your rival, you say, "Things are UNRAVELING fast now, boy!" You toss his girlfriend into a slow hourglass deathtrap, "Your TIME is up, Princess!" You toss down a wall of curved swords to impede him and say, "Get the POINT?" You turn his pet monkey into a novelty clockwork monkey, "Don't TOY with me!"

Which reminds me. It didn't bother me at the time, and only really bothers me a little bit now, but Aladdin has entirely too many cute/animal sidekicks. The most conservative and unfair estimate numbers them at 3, which is bogus because in addition to Abu, Raja, and Iago (who is still a comic relief animal sidekick and doesn't get out of it because he's also Gilbert Gottfried), the Carpet (who is still basically an animal sidekick except he doesn't talk. He just has to rely on cute gestures and having a fabulous purple and gold pattern) is excluded because he is not actually an animal. My most generous count goes up to 9.

*As to what will become of the baron: He will be pulled back into the deck when I have another girl or two to put to sleep. Apparently awesome bores girls.  :ohmy:

EDIT:
PAGEBREAK! :victory:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2008, 01:18:05 AM »

Yeah, it's a Disney movie.

It's still awesome.

And the only serious villain who doesn't have some sort of crippling idiot flaw in Disney is Maleficent.

Jafar is probably second to best as far as the actually meant to be menacing ones go.

Ursula would be cool but she's fat and therefore haha tubby

I guess you could make a case for the wicked stepmother/witch from Snow White, but Maleficent eats people like her as a light snack, so.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 42