Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Religulous  (Read 30173 times)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Religulous
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2008, 05:32:16 PM »

In that I'm apparently an idiot for having religious beliefs of any kind.

Well, I mean, OBVIOUSLY! :hurr: The supernatural is unknowable and there's nothing we can definitively say about it! You 'tard! It sounds like these are double-'tarded atheists trying to pose as members of the one true completely uncertainty.

Because Guild doesn't think it's a joke unless its stupid and mean, here's the spoiler, for you 'tards:
(THAD EDIT: inappropriate spoiler tag removed.) That was meant to come off as self-parody. I do not actually think you are retarded for believing you can understand things about the supernatural.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2008, 05:43:29 PM »

The lord will provide!

I hate that so much, you've got Obama, a candidate that openly talks about his faith and how it affects him, vs McCain a candidate that couldn't give less of a shit about religion, and somehow you're going to convince yourself the McCain is the religious one? Fuck those people so hard.

I am really happy to have a positive religious political figure in the forefront after eight years of Bush though.

In that I'm apparently an idiot for having religious beliefs of any kind.

Well, I mean, OBVIOUSLY! :hurr: The supernatural is unknowable and there's nothing we can definitively say about it! You 'tard! It sounds like these are double-'tarded atheists trying to pose as members of the one true completely uncertainty.

Because Guild doesn't think it's a joke unless its stupid and mean, here's the spoiler, for you 'tards:
[spoiler]That was meant to come off as self-parody. I do not actually think you are retarded for believing you can understand things about the supernatural.[/spoiler]

Actually I misrepresented the agnostic people I interacted with. Usually they don't give me shit for believing something, but rather for being part of a religion which is evil and terrible. Usually it's the evangelical atheists that think I'm stupid for my beliefs.

I'm actually an agnostic by the dictionary definition, but that's kind of too fine a point for most people to care to grasp.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »

Actually I misrepresented the agnostic people I interacted with. Usually they don't give me shit for believing something, but rather for being part of a religion which is evil and terrible. Usually it's the evangelical atheists that think I'm stupid for my beliefs.
No, it's just the militant atheists that tell you.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2008, 06:05:20 PM »

I'm actually an agnostic by the dictionary definition, but that's kind of too fine a point for most people to care to grasp.

Erm? Then? I mean? Do you just claim membership then? To like the Catholics or something?

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »

No, it's just the militant atheists that tell you.

Yeah, there's that too.  ::(:

Erm? Then? I mean? Do you just claim membership then? To like the Catholics or something?

Agnosticism means you don't think knowledge is possible. Knowledge isn't required for faith. Depending on your semantics lack of knowledge may even be required for faith.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »

Eh- erm... But you're... Religions, by their nature, claim knowledge of the divine.

I mean, I... I'm not sure that's an accurate term.

Transportation

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2008, 06:43:27 PM »

Anti-religious would be more accurate. There have been atheists who consider religion necessary as the masses can't be trusted by themselves.

I also dislike the term 'militant atheist' since that's like saying 'militant gays' or something.

Basically: homosexual is to gay activist as atheist is to militant atheist.

Consider a person who thinks homosexuality isn't right despite agreeing with a gay activist on all other fronts. Now this is a victory from a rights-based objective, but that concession legitimizes homophobia and is a (small) threat.

Drop some of the moral connotations, and an atheist faces a similar dilemma with a liberal religious person. Their faith, despite agreeing with the atheist on everything else, legitimizes illogical thought in a small way.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 06:57:12 PM »

Anti-religious would be more accurate. There have been atheists who consider religion necessary as the masses can't be trusted by themselves.

I also dislike the term 'militant atheist' since that's like saying 'militant gays' or something.

Basically: homosexual is to gay activist as atheist is to militant atheist.

Consider a person who thinks homosexuality isn't right despite agreeing with a gay activist on all other fronts. Now this is a victory from a rights-based objective, but that concession legitimizes homophobia and is a (small) threat.

Drop some of the moral connotations, and an atheist faces a similar dilemma with a liberal religious person. Their faith, despite agreeing with the atheist on everything else, legitimizes illogical thought in a small way.
Well, I used evangelical atheist because I think it's a more accurate term, and also it doesn't conjure a picture of Richard Dawkins wrapped in a bandoleer of ammunition. But yeah, most atheist and agnostic people I interact with are perfectly civil and don't bother me about it, but there's a sizable minority that is really really bothered that I believe something they don't and feel the need to convert me, either through discussion or through berating me.

Eh- erm... But you're... Religions, by their nature, claim knowledge of the divine.

I mean, I... I'm not sure that's an accurate term.

My religion doesn't purport to have knowledge of the divine. And I'm distrustful of anyone who does. Though that also depends on what you mean by knowledge.

Knowledge is defined in philosophy as true justified belief. It's a belief, and it may or may not be true, as for justified, I guess that depends on what you think justifies a belief.

Edit: And as I said earlier, many people believe that knowledge precludes faith.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »

What is your religion anyhow? If you're willing?

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2008, 07:06:51 PM »

What is your religion anyhow? If you're willing?

Christian, Episcopalian.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »

YOU REBEL!

I don't care what anyone believes and I don't think anyone should care what I believe.  So I don't tell anyone what I believe and I don't listen when other people tell me their beliefs.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »

I hate that so much, you've got Obama, a candidate that openly talks about his faith and how it affects him, vs McCain a candidate that couldn't give less of a shit about religion, and somehow you're going to convince yourself the McCain is the religious one? Fuck those people so hard.

You DO know he has a running-mate, right?

Guild doesn't seem to.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »

You DO know he has a running-mate, right?

Guild doesn't seem to.
Yeah, but these people weren't going to vote for him before Palin joined the ticket. Hell Palin talks about faith less than Obama even, though that's largely because her time is spent exclusively on attack Obama.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4wQfQtpDAc

The lord will provide!

She is like twenty emotes thrown into one!

Lines up nicely with Our Electoral Process to boot.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 08:31:25 PM »

She is like twenty emotes thrown into one!

I'll say.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »

McCain doesn't talk about religion because he's a Mormon, which is great for getting the Mormon vote, but not much else.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2008, 08:35:25 PM »

Er, no, he's Southern Baptist.

You must be confusing him with every OTHER politician in Arizona.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »

What?  I thought McCain was Catholic.

And Bal is probably confusing him with Mitt Romney, Mormon runner-up.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »

That woman is a little purple eye shadow away from being Mimi from the Drew Carey show.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »

Er, no, he's Southern Baptist.

You must be confusing him with every OTHER politician in Arizona.

I totally was
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15