Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 35

Author Topic: LGBT  (Read 57059 times)

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT
« Reply #480 on: November 01, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 01, 2011, 11:05:19 AM »

Fuck humanity.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 01, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »

That pretty much covers it, yeah.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #483 on: November 01, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »

I had a teacher in high school who I generally liked but who was some kind of uptight Mormon-offshoot religious and not very good at concealing his virulent homophobia.

I had a friend who was in the closet, due mostly to having fundamentalist parents.  He was kind of an odd dude, not just because he was gay but because he was nerdy and socially awkward.

Anyhow, he was a year younger than me, so I wasn't around for this, but purportedly the teacher just took an instant dislike to him -- before he even had him as a student, he apparently badmouthed him in front of one of his other classes.  Just weird, passive-aggressive hostility.

Telling kids to just act more butch is a milder version of the same problem.  Some people are legitimately uncomfortable around students who are outliers in general and gay in particular.  It's something that I believe will fade over the years, but obviously that's not something we should wait for; newspaper headlines shaming those attitudes are absolutely the correct approach here.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 03, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »

Michigan anti-bullying legislation passed in wake of suicide of bullied gay teen contains exception to bullying prohibitions for "sincerely held moral or religious beliefs".

Me, I'm almost more offended by how lazy the loopholes have gotten, all ignoring the fact that this is basically the state sanctioning religious persecution in a fumbling attempt to keep the fags down.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #485 on: November 03, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »

Well, don't you see, Paco?  It's WE who are being intolerant of the CHRISTIANS by saying they shouldn't harass people for being different!

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 03, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »

That's like adding a clause to Megan's Law that says the law doesn't apply if the girl's name is Megan.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 03, 2011, 10:58:55 AM »

Bullying wasn't illegal in Michigan already?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #488 on: December 14, 2011, 01:46:03 PM »

NY Daily News: Identical twin teenage boys tell story of one taking path to become a girl

I find it fascinating because, given that they're identical twins, it clearly (if anecdotally) implies that genes aren't the only component in gender identity.

(Simpsons has already offhandedly addressed the related issue of identical twins with different sexual orientations.  Granted, Simpsons is not real.)

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 14, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »

it clearly (if anecdotally) implies that genes aren't the only component in gender identity.
Or it calls into question what we know about what creates identical twins.

In fact, it's possible for twins to be born as half- or semi-identical. Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case here, and at any rate, though I don't particularly subscribe to either notion (nature/nurture) I find it grossly ridiculous that so many people are instantly jumping to that conclusion.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #490 on: December 14, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »

Right -- I think blaming it exclusively on either genetic OR environmental factors is reductivist, and certainly more study is required.

But cases like this present a unique opportunity for study.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 14, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 14, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »

A full minute of inappropriate laughter.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 19, 2011, 09:15:21 PM »

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 21, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »

Newt Gingrich to gay man: If you want marriage equality, vote for Obama

That level of honesty takes you by surprise sometimes.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 21, 2011, 09:35:28 PM »

Hunh.  That's a rather shocking level of civility from Gingrich, though between him and his sister it really sounds like he's just politically locked into his position on marriage rights.

Or he just really, really, really does not want to get into a rhetorical debate that could possibly veer into the "sanctity of marriage" line of argument.

ADDENDUM: Really honestly, if you think about it, people who view gay marriage as their primary focus should vote for Newt Gingrich.  Obama is on record as saying he's personally opposed to it but will pay lip service to it as long as he's a Democratic politician.  That's hardly helpful if not outright damaging.  But Newt Gingrich - his very presence in the White House would completely topple any non-pedantic argument his supporters might have against it.  And if the political winds start to blow against them, he'll stand aside and let them be toppled over like on every other issue that might entail him standing up for something widely unpopular.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm putting too much stock in Newt's ability to screw over his own party and sometimes I wonder if I'm making a mistake by not taking that ball and shoving it down the net.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #497 on: December 22, 2011, 07:51:48 AM »

He'd screw his own party in a heartbeat but you can't predict HOW.

It's true that he's in it for himself and will do whatever he thinks will benefit him personally.

But he also doesn't have a very good grasp of what that is exactly -- he was doing pretty well for himself up until he shut down the government over a seat assignment.

Put another way: if his sister says don't vote for him if you want marriage equality, then you should probably listen to her.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #499 on: December 22, 2011, 11:51:30 AM »

Curious to hear your thoughts and those of the other TG folk on the forum.

I haven't seen the thing, so I can't make any specific judgements on it.  Speaking in general, I'm not inherently opposed to "man dressed as woman" comedy (Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire, absolutely every British comedy show ever), but stuff like this has to be viewed in the proverbial "broader cultural context", and that context is a near-total lack of positive depictions of transgendered people in American popular entertainment.  (And the only reason there's a "near" in there is Chaz Bono, who the media would pay absolutely no attention to if he didn't have famous parents.)

Proposed solution: have one of their coworkers turn out to be an actual transgender who is less than amused by their ruse.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 35