Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 35

Author Topic: LGBT  (Read 57059 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT
« Reply #500 on: December 22, 2011, 12:25:31 PM »

I hadn't even heard of it until I saw the ad. As a transgender person I think this show is not only offensive but tiresome. The drag-disguise comedy ran out of steam after Bosom Buddies. Why is it that any kind of gender nonconformity is still ridiculed in mass media?

Proposed solution: have one of their coworkers turn out to be an actual transgender who is less than amused by their ruse.
Or why not have one of the main characters realize that they're actually transgender and make the audience realize what a dick move it is to laugh at someone experiencing that struggle.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 22, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »

Season Finale involves the character stuck going on a date with a doctor in order to secure a contract. Over the course of the episode they have flashbacks to previous episodes in the season and realize how it's more than the work reason that they're dressing up like a woman.

Laugh track and/or audience "oooOooo" when they actually kiss. Character rushes runs away.

audience goes "Awww" when depressed character turns the lights off back in their apartment

fade to credits

show cancelled

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 22, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »

Proposed solution: have one of their coworkers turn out to be an actual transgender who is less than amused by their ruse.
That's not a proper solution. It's pandering.

In addition to hating this show based on the reasons GLAAD puts forth, it also seems to be an inherently sexist idea and on top of that a good way to lampoon "women in the workplace" without actually using women, thus making it seem okay. It's a huge clusterfuck of Hollywood bullshit. Not like this is the only shitty, sexist show on this fall, though.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #503 on: December 22, 2011, 01:03:05 PM »

That's not a proper solution. It's pandering.

Well, yes.  I was restricting myself to options that could conceivably actually happen in the world of prime time network TV; pandering is pretty much the best-case scenario and the phrase "proper solution" does not make the list.

In addition to hating this show based on the reasons GLAAD puts forth, it also seems to be an inherently sexist idea and on top of that a good way to lampoon "women in the workplace" without actually using women, thus making it seem okay. It's a huge clusterfuck of Hollywood bullshit.

Yeah, that too.  "This company only hires women; men just can't get ahead!" is a pretty bullshit premise.  Unless it's for that episode of King of the Hill where Dale interviews at Hooters so he can sue them for discrimination, because of course HE'S the one who comes out looking like an asshole.

Not like this is the only shitty, sexist show on this fall, though.

Playboy Club, at least, got canceled almost immediately.  Not sure about the others.  And yes, that last zinger pretty much sums it up; "People hated terrible thing with x in it = we shouldn't make any more things with x in them" is pretty much how Hollywood thinks.

...and dammit, I just got through purging Jezebel from my history.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 22, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »

I think Pan Am was tanking fast. No idea if it's actually been cancelled outright yet.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 11, 2012, 09:02:24 AM »

Little do we know that a time traveler came from the future to warn Pope Benedict that the only thing keeping humanity from destroying itself is acceptance of homosexuality. He was warned of...

The Santorum Wars.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 11, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »

Papists gonna... pape.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2012, 09:30:22 AM »

Every time I see Pope Benedict he looks more and more like Palpatine. The similarities were funny at first but this is getting out of hand.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »

I don't think Palpatine has especially strong views about homosexuality.

If anything he'd probably be pleased that they're so interested in "the Dark Side".

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 11, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »

There's a reason Palpatine always wears such voluminous robes.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 11, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »

You can't spell Palpatine without papal.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 11, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »

I don't think Palpatine has especially strong views about homosexuality.

If anything he'd probably be pleased that they're so interested in "the Dark Side".

In-universe, Palpatine (and everyone under him, because of it) was racist as the ku klux klan against anything nonhuman.

Not sure if that means anything here.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2012, 08:16:45 AM »

King Steve has decided on the nuclear option against foreign-based gay marriages

Man, this is so ridiculous I don't even have words. I can only pray the courts strike this down, though I suspect this will only end months or years from now, in another Supreme Court-administered spanking for Harper.

If this doesn't earn us another condemnation from the UN, I'll be surprised. They may be irrelevant, but Stevey seems to want to collect 'em like they were pokemon. 

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »

Updates: yeah the shit is hitting the fan over this one

Might turn good in the long run though:

1) The legal opinion offered by the Justice department is obviously idiotic and will probably be overturned. If it were true, marriages between people like interracial couples or other people denied marriage in their home countries who come to Canada to marry would also be null. It also implies our laws are overruled by foreign laws. Who makes Canadian law? Canadians, or Florida state? To say nothing of this not being an established opinion for the past seven years and everything being seen as perfectly legal since 2005. I'm pretty sure LOLSURPRISE is not going to hold up well legally.
2) This is just on the heels of a Harper MP trying to sneak in anti-abortion legislation. They're pulling out all the stops to go backwards.
3) This makes Chrétien look like a genius soothsayer. The Liberals had him do a fearmongering fundraising letter a month ago threatening that Harper would begin a culture war. At the time, I thought it made a good pitch, but that Harper was disciplined enough not to play into Chretien's hands. Guess he really just can't let go of that lever.
4) No matter how much Harper protests, no matter how hard he brings this to a stop, it will be extremely difficult for him to ever again shake the "The Harper conservatives have a secret agenda and have always had a secret agenda" meme. He's brushed it off before, but I think it'll stick this time. And if he doesn't put in a damn good show of fighting this ruling, all bets are off on his future.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2012, 03:09:50 PM »

So it looks like the legal opinion may possibly be technically correct but was framed in an incredibly bad way.

In Ontario, you must be a resident of the province for a year before a divorce is granted, same-sex marriage or regular kind. With non-same-sex marriages, this is a non-issue because they're generally recognized equally everywhere.

Some people are saying that the opinion ONLY states that people must meet the residency requirements. That the bit about "HO HO! Your marriage was never legal in the first place, homos! TROLOLOLOL!" Is just the lawyer's "Editorial comment".

However, until we actually see the text of the opinion, we won't know the full intent. Regardless, this should give the opposition fuel for a while.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 13, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »

Well, that was mercifully quick at least.

As always, Harper's instincts for political survival trump his desire for incredibly stupid shit. Which is basically the only check on his power now.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 13, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »

Speaking at a Toronto luncheon Friday, Mr. Nicholson blamed the Liberal government that preceded his for not filling a “legislative gap” that has left thousands of same-sex couples in an agonizing position of being unable to divorce should they feel a need to.

The situation has been “completely unfair to those affected.” Mr. Nicholson said. “I want to make it clear that in our government's view, these marriages are valid.”

Wow. A flip-flop and blaming the previous administration in two paragraphs.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 13, 2012, 01:02:27 PM »

Hey give us our President back

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested