Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 45

Author Topic: News from the North  (Read 59730 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: News from the North
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »

Well, I still want to get rid of Harper most of all.

My game plan is this: 1 - Get rid of Harper. 2 - Get rid of Iggy. 3 - Pray they aren't around long enough to do too much further damage. 4 - Pray desperately for a replacement to have come along by then.

THIS IS NOT REALLY A GOOD GAME PLAN, LEMME TELLYA.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »

I WANT TERRY MOSHER TO HAVE MY BABIES.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2008, 12:27:44 AM »

Nope.  The Harpie and the Iggie look pretty conciliatory to the point where they will attempt to stomach each other in the same office for an hour or two.

This could be a good thing..

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2008, 06:27:33 AM »

Well, Iggy was saying all the right things yesterday. I'll certainly give him that at least.

We'll see how this plays out.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2009, 05:03:34 PM »

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »

The moral of this story: if you want to make sure the cops actually get something done, kill a cop.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »

I thought sting operations were illegal in Canada.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »

Uhm... no?

:wat:

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »

OH SHI

c0mprmizd
kiil h00krz
brn all flpjcks
thn gt out

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2009, 09:29:23 PM »

So recently the national film board decided to throw an online site of all their archived films, so that they never be forgotten in a digital age. 

it's all at nfb.ca

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »

See you in two weeks.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2009, 04:16:31 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2009, 04:42:45 AM »

The Day The Muzak Died.

For those of you unaware that this was a Canadian institution offense, just remember: If it's watered-down mediocrity you require, look to Canada for all your blandness needs!

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2009, 06:32:13 PM »

Sadly, it's only Chapter 11.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »

I'm not too sure if anyone from To or out east has noticed, but the sixth homocide in Vancouver just took place.  It's only Feb.

We already know at this point that there is a cancer in Vancouver that wasn't there ten years back.  You can hear it in many of the stories, the high-profile murders with prohibited (already banned for all you fucks who think gun control is working) weapons, and the words of those who have already fallen in one fashion or another. 

Two blocks from my friends place a shooting happened near an IGA grocery store.  If you read the globe and mail, you may also hear some pretty well-written ramblings about how bad the situation gets..

However, my best rumours indicate a few things.  The main assault weapon used was a Steyr - a high end one at that! 

Also, that the shooter used three-round bursts, and dropped the weapon and walked away.  Not run, but walked.  This is the first time I've heard of that level of professionalism. 

There is an issue.  I was there drunk three weeks ago with a close computer scientist friend who lives two blocks away from where the incident took place.  The primary residents are UBC students, YUPies, and homeowners. 

The olympics are coming next year. 

I see storm clouds brewing..

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2009, 10:49:01 PM »

The Day The Muzak Died.

For those of you unaware that this was a Canadian institution offense, just remember: If it's watered-down mediocrity you require, look to Canada for all your blandness needs!

My dad told me that the day he realized he was old was when he was at the grocery store and realized the easy-listening muzak they were piping into the produce section was the Rolling Stone's "Sympathy for the Devil"

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2009, 07:12:59 AM »

I'm not too sure if anyone from To or out east has noticed, but the sixth homocide in Vancouver just took place.  It's only Feb.

We already know at this point that there is a cancer in Vancouver that wasn't there ten years back.  You can hear it in many of the stories, the high-profile murders with prohibited (already banned for all you fucks who think gun control is working) weapons, and the words of those who have already fallen in one fashion or another. 

Two blocks from my friends place a shooting happened near an IGA grocery store.  If you read the globe and mail, you may also hear some pretty well-written ramblings about how bad the situation gets..

However, my best rumours indicate a few things.  The main assault weapon used was a Steyr - a high end one at that! 

Also, that the shooter used three-round bursts, and dropped the weapon and walked away.  Not run, but walked.  This is the first time I've heard of that level of professionalism. 

There is an issue.  I was there drunk three weeks ago with a close computer scientist friend who lives two blocks away from where the incident took place.  The primary residents are UBC students, YUPies, and homeowners. 

The olympics are coming next year. 
I see storm clouds brewing..

Part of the problem with using TO as a frame of reference is that it's the one place in Canada that's going to give you a real run for your money as far as murders go.

Was that second link supposed to go to the G&M's front page story from (was it Friday or Yesterday?) on the Downtown Eastside*? That article was pretty good, though it and others have basically summed things up by pointing out that as long as the place is AWASH in ludicrous amounts of drugs and as long as all of Canada west of Thunder Bay continues to use Vancouver as the dumping ground for it's undesireables then the problem is going to continue to get worse and the organized crime that feeds it is going to get scarier.

I think the elephant in the room is the MASSIVE inflow of drugs there. I've never been a big-war-on-drugs fellow, but I believe that you need a few sticks to go with all those carrots. Apparently (I don't live out there after all) the 'stick' half has been an appalling failure... or more accurately, it doesn't even seem to exist. I mean if someone really wants drugs, they'll get 'em, but there's a difference between that and having them cheaply available ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE. If nothing else, it pretty much dooms any newcomers rolling into town and enriches all kinds of folks who shouldn't be seeing any of that money. Given that it's Vancouver, I suspect there's a good deal of human trafficking and other fun stuff that gets funded that way.

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on legalization, for now drugs are still illegal. There just doesn't seem to be much busting of traffickers heads for same though. Though, I don't mean users so much, or even some street level dealers, since the lowest end ones are nearly as bad in their use. This problem is huge, and needs to be hit hard at much higher levels to make any kind of a dent. I guess this is where speculation about corruption goes.

I'd agree that anyone out there should be really worried about a gang war as directed by John Woo, though it's open for speculation to guess how many bystanders out there would be killed, given that the gangs out there have a few more marbles between them than say... the Hell's Angels and the Rock Machine did in their own time.

Anyway... no solution in sight? Check.

Massive build-up in the criminal scene? Check.

Massive build up to a large public event? Check.

Vast (and growing) number of mental cases pickled in ungodly drug cocktails?

:blahblahblah:

*(or as one wit pointed out "Oh you mean the part of town that - up until an activist campaign in the 80's - was just called 'downtown'?")

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2009, 08:27:53 AM »

Canadian Military Milestone.

Hey! Only FIFTY YEARS BEHIND THE REST OF NATO!  :america:

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2009, 06:40:45 PM »

Whoa.  Sorry I missed all that fine discourse there

After the influence of the teledrama "The Wire", I really don't have too many solutions to offer except that innovation in society at large and a cultural shift is required.  The status quo doesn't work within the scope of the resources at hand. 

As far as the helecopters stand, I can honestly hear the sighs of relief, although I won't count on a decrease in IED attacks on our vehicles anytime soon.  The article describes a raid-style attack.  Those won't win any counter-insurgency alone.  The PM understands this.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 45