Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 45

Author Topic: News from the North  (Read 59869 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: News from the North
« Reply #620 on: March 03, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »

Cross-index this one in the WTF category.

A conservative Member of Parliament falls asleep during a pair of Afghanistan vets' presentation on how to help homeless soldiers.

When he's woken up and censured for his action, he accuses the soldiers of being "NDP hacks" and supporters of Vladimir Putin.

:hurr:

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 03, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »

Now I'm curious about that guy's dreams. He might as well have accused them of stealing his clothes and forcing him to attend the presentation naked.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 03, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »

Oh yeah, Rob Anders is a sack of shit. He gets a free pass because he's a Calgary MP, but I've even seen hardcore Calgary Con constituents complain about the guy.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 09, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »

More ROBOCALL NOOZ: Star Article alleges that the targeted victims were all seniors who'd been previously contacted by Conservative researchers and who had indicated they would NOT be voting Conservative.

If true, that's about as close to "circumstantial-evidence-that's-almost-not-circumstantial" as you can get.

But then again, what person doesn't think the Conservatives are behind this anyway? The victims were all non-Conservative voters (blabber from the Cons about their supporters being targeted notwithstanding - no Conservative voters are actually coming forward to complain). The only real question is whether it was just some party flacks (it definitely wasn't just local) or if the senior leadership really was aware.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 10, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »

I hate that such a thought even comes to mind, but this does seem like a very American thing to do, politically, and that domain has Harper's name all over it. Problem is, if he's directly involved in that sort of thing, he's also smart enough to have planned for plausible deniability from the beginning, or to have fanatical flunkies all too willing to take that bullet for him.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 10, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »

I'd prrrrrobably say yes, only you can never underestimate the ability of his pure raw hatred for LIBERALS to blind his normally cold and calculating logic. I mean, this image would not be an inaccurate characterization of the Prime Minister:

But does anybody really think that the Conservatives aren't behind this anyway? The victims were all non-Conservative voters. Even the hardcore idiots in the National Post crowd seem torn half-and-half in believing it was them or not. Outside of the diehards, pretty well everybody knows it was the Cons. Even if it wasn't really orchestrated by the party, the frame fits too well, you know? Live by the sword and all that.

The only real question is whether it was just some party flacks (it definitely wasn't just local) or if the senior leadership really was aware. If a Minister, member of the PMO, or senior national campaign/party administrator knew, that'll be good enough for it to stick to him.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 21, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »

Nahhhh, this is actually a very very good thing.

If Harper decided to actually try and pass legislation, it'll be INSTANT death for him (we may be backsliding US-wards, but by god even King Steve hasn't brought us that low that fast) and any debate will almost automatically reflect horribly on the Cons.

The only way Harper can pull out a win here is if he can somehow get it buried, but arrange it so that it's the opposition that does so. And even then, that's only a win on his side. The Liberals and NDP can still use it as a whipping post.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 26, 2012, 07:44:54 AM »

Ontario Superior Court rules that anti-prostitution laws in Canada are unconstitutional and must be struck down.

Ruling states that as of next year it will be legal in Ontario, though effectively only indoors. Of course I fully expect a Supreme Court challenge on this one and a stay of implementation, but the gauntlet has been thrown. If the Supreme Court does uphold the ruling (I can't see them not taking the case), I expect they will do what they did when the provision against same-sex marriage was struck down: Send it back to the legislature to make and vote on a law that is constitutional, so as to give a ruling with significant social impact more legitimacy and head off charges of judicial activism.

Stay tuned for the Harper (and Dalton McGuinty/Tim Hudak) reaction.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 26, 2012, 08:09:07 AM »

McGuinty will waffle, Hudak will grumble. It is the way of things.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 26, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »

Sounds just about right!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 29, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 01, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »

I can't say as I ever watch boxing, damned if this wasn't awesomely satisfying and fun.

TRUDEAU VS BRAZEAU - FULL FIGHT - COMBAT COMPLET

It's even better if you watch the weigh-in first, where Brazeau really goes for the big talk.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #634 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »

Eh, Amateur boxing is a little bit of a let down. The blue dude tired himself out at the beginning because of how amateur boxing is scored. Basic rookie mistake. You see, unlike in professional boxing amateur boxing is scored by clean hits almost exclusively and not on a round by round basis. So, say in a three round bout you scored 110 clean hits and your opponent scored 98. As long as it goes to the end of the match, you win. Therefor, the standard amateur strat is to get a lot of clean hits at the beginning and then cover up and hang on for the last few rounds. It actually usually works but the dude tired himself out and then the other guy just worked him through the next few rounds....

And then I googled it! :D Man your politicians are a lot cooler than ours!

Nevermind I guess. Still he did make a basic rookie mistake of... exactly what I described. He tired himself out too early and let the other guy work him in the next few rounds.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 01, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »

And then I googled it! :D Man your politicians are a lot cooler than ours!

Some of them anyway!

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 01, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »

can't find much glee in watching the spawn of a douche win a fight, sorry

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 01, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »

YES YES, WE KNOW.

Anyway, I thought it was a neatly well-calculated risk on his part. He played up his status as the underdog (which also gave him an out), only to reel his opponent in by setting up a fight on "his turf", by which I mean, he has actual boxing experience and Brazeau didn't, really.

He's been saying and doing some stupid stuff and this was a good way to pull out a bit of a feel-good recovery. He may not have his father's sinister wit, but this was pretty well planned and executed. I can appreciate that, no matter what side of the fence someone's on.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 02, 2012, 04:40:15 AM »

can't find much glee in watching the spawn of a douche win a fight, sorry

Hey, c'mon, Trudeau was our JFK.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested