Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: The Thing  (Read 17796 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
The Thing
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:40:15 PM »

Easy Avatars for the lazy. Feel free to use something else you found.

All players have been given a PM with game role and character assignment.

All players will post here in character accounts only. The actual player behind the character will be known only to you and I.

I ask that you do not reveal purposefully who you are. Even upon death the player will not be revealed, until the game is over.

RULE CLARIFICATION:

The person with the additional test will be determined randomly, but it will cycle through. So you cannot get the test again until all living players have gotten a chance at it.

The players:

Bongo Bill
Frocto
Arc
Niku
Guild
Zara
Romo
Kazz
Constantine
Brentai
Lee-Ham

FAQ:

Q: How do I use dynamite?
A: It works like the Ninja, in that you use it during the day, simply by bolding I throw my dynamite at X. However, unlike the Ninja, it does not also kill you. You may only use dynamite once per game.

Q: How many kills do Flamethrowers get?
A: One a night. They do not HAVE to kill anyone. Waiting for confirmed targets is better than shooting in the dark. They may kill as many times as they want, once per night.

Q: If a Flamethrower is assimilated, does he keep his ability to kill?
A: No. This means that any and all night phase kills were at the hands of human beings.

Q: How many Things are there at the start?
A: Two.

Q: And they assimilate one person per night?
A: Yes, with the following exception: Flamethrowers get priority over The Thing. If the Thing sends a unit that is killed that night, no assimilation takes place.

Q: How is it determined who gets the extra test each day?
A: It's random, cycling. You cannot get control of the extra test again until all living players have gotten it.

Q: So the Thing wins as soon as it control voting majority, right?
A: NO. The Thing wins, and only wins, if both Flamethrowers are dead/assimilated, and there is not enough dynamite left to destroy it. It is possible for a scenario to exist where there is one Flamethrower and Two Things left. If the Flamethrower unit torches the unit that tries to assimilate him that night, he will win the game for the humans due to his priority during the night over The Thing.

Q: hahaha, yeah, but in that scenario Flamethrower wins either way, since if he's assimilated he joins the winning team!
A: NO. A player assimilated into The Thing only adopts their victory condition if he has a chance to do anything before the game ends. This means the last person assimilated will lose.

Please read, and re-read the rules and PM or ask any questions in the interest thread. I don't want any sloppy play in this game. I want this to be a meta-free, well played and well thought out wolfgame on both sides, without the standard idiot bullshit mistakes because people weren't paying attention that always tend to spring up.

You are free to PM as you wish, but everything must be done with the special character accounts. I ask that you do not reveal your identity during the game, even to your team mates, or in secret to another player, or even upon your death. At the end of the game each player will be revealed.

Good luck to all sides.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Thing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:38:35 PM »

Day Zero
1982, U.S. Antarctic research station

An Alaskan Malamute makes its way towards the camp while pursued by a helicopter, whose occupants are actively trying to kill the dog with all the means at their disposal.

You head outside to see what all the noise is.

The Malamute runs directly past you and into your camp. A man holding a sniper rifle drops out of the helicopter, shouting frantic gibberish at you.

"Can you understand what he's saying?" you ask someone nearby.

"No, I think it's another language," comes the reply.

Suddenly the man takes sight and fires, wounding you in the leg.

"What the fuck!" you exclaim, falling to one knee.

Behind him, the Helicopter pilot seems to be readying some kind of bomb. As you watch, the Helicopter suddenly explodes, sending shrapnel everywhere.

The man with the rifle seems unperturbed by this event. He aims again, this time past you... at the dog?

He doesn't get another shot. Garry, the station commander, guns him down.

Not knowing what to make of this, you head back inside after examining the bodies. No clues as to the men's strange behavior are found.

MacReady leads a recon team to fly over to the nearby Norwegian research camp, where you suspect the men are from. In the meantime, you spend the time as you always do, playing cards, watching television. The Malamute wanders the interior of the camp, watching you, before you irritably call for Clark to put him in with the other dogs.

That night MacReady returns. He brings back the strangest thing you have ever seen, a man, frozen, but twisted horribly, impossibly. MacReady reports that they found a recent excavation that this "body" seems to have come from.

You go to sleep, a sense of uneasiness upon you.

You are awakened by screams of pain.

In the night, the Malamute has transformed into a hideous monster, and has begun assimilating the other dogs in the pen. You manage to destroy it with a flamethrower unit.

Returning to the lab where the "body" was left, you find it is gone.

"If someone was an imitation, a perfect imitation, how would you know the difference?"

Your first attempt to test the people around you is foiled. Someone got to the blood samples and destroyed them.

But another method is discovered. A method using a hot wire, and freshly cut blood.

"When a man bleeds, it's just tissue."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkNyC6MQMj0

Twelve to begin with.

R. J. MacReady, Helicopter pilot
Dr. Blair, a station biologist
Childs, the station's mechanic
Nauls, the station's cook
Palmer, the station's backup helicopter pilot and mechanic
Dr. Copper, the station's physician
Vance Norris, the station's geophysicist
George Bennings, the station's meteorologist
Clark, the station's wrangler who takes the "thing" dog in when it arrives
Garry, the station commander
Fuchs, the station's other biologist
Windows, the station's radio operator

It is now Day 1.

It takes 7 votes to administer the test to someone.

In addition, Windows has the second test, used at his discretion, today. He may use this to clear himself. He must use this before the day advances or seven votes are reached.

Tomorrow at Midnight, Pacific Time, I will be advancing the game to night phase if seven votes have not been reached by then.

Game Start.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:40:04 PM »

ONE FINAL REMINDER

DO NOT POST HERE OUT OF CHARACTER. ONLY THE CHARACTERS AND I MAY POST IN THIS THREAD.

Observers may post if they wish, but please keep it to a minimum.

KYON-KUN, DENWA.

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:49:56 PM »

OW FUCK THEY HAVE GUNS, I'M GOING TO GO GET A SMALL KNIFE

Childs

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:55:42 PM »

This is a crock of shit.

Nauls

• 22. The cook. Bright. Black. Irreverent. But kindhearted. Roller skates.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:06:46 AM »

Shut the damn hell up.

MacReady

• 35. Helicopter pilot. Likes chess. Hates the cold. The pay is good.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:27:06 AM »

I'm a real light sleeper.

Dr. Copper

• station physician
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 12:36:10 AM »

I, uh... I think I'm going to hold off on doing any autopsies for the time being.

Windows

• Untested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 07:16:46 AM »

If I test myself I would become a prime target to be assimilated. But now that I've pointed that out, everyone would expect me to be assimilated after testing myself, making me a bad choice for assimilation. But now that I've mentioned that, I might become a good choice again!

On the other hand, if I don't test myself, it might be suspicious. What have I got to hide? I've got to hide my precious human blood from the terrible monster that wishes to sow confusion and hatred among us. If I don't reveal, I am Schroedinger's Player, simultaneously good and evil until killed, at which point my waveform collapses. Nobody likes uncollapsed waveforms.

I will leave it to the person who might choose to assimilate me to figure out whether someone with a big bulls-eye in his beard is worth having on his side. Also, I will probably test myself if a bunch of people look like they're about to totally kill me.

Lunartick

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 08:44:08 AM »

All of you are Guild in disguises.

Gracie Law

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 09:12:02 AM »

*shoots a Norwegian*

God, that felt good.

Fuchs

• Untested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »

Could be any one of us.  Ravenous monster that only wants to consume, to kill.

Childs

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »

Fuck this.  Clark was with the dogs, he's the most likely to have been taken.

KYON-KUN, DENWA.

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »

It's true, I love my dogs.  If I had my way I'd have my name changed to, like, Wolfy or something.

Fuchs

• Untested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 09:26:24 AM »

"Wolfy"?  Your parents are already dead.

Dr. Blair

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 10:31:27 AM »

Now look here; I have diabeetus.

Palmer

• the station's backup helicopter pilot and mechanic
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:29 AM »

This is bullshit, Mac.

Gracie Law

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »

Now, hang on.

Aren't most of us dead or locked in sheds by the time we get to the bit with the wire?

Also, where are we hiding our flamethrowers, up our asses?

Also, I really did lose my key to the blood closet, guys.  If you find it, let me know.

Dr. Blair

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »

Palmer for posting after me. See, I laid a trap and he fell into it. Oatmeal, anyone?

Dr. Blair

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »

If I test myself I would become a prime target to be assimilated. But now that I've pointed that out, everyone would expect me to be assimilated after testing myself, making me a bad choice for assimilation. But now that I've mentioned that, I might become a good choice again!

On the other hand, if I don't test myself, it might be suspicious. What have I got to hide? I've got to hide my precious human blood from the terrible monster that wishes to sow confusion and hatred among us. If I don't reveal, I am Schroedinger's Player, simultaneously good and evil until killed, at which point my waveform collapses. Nobody likes uncollapsed waveforms.

I will leave it to the person who might choose to assimilate me to figure out whether someone with a big bulls-eye in his beard is worth having on his side. Also, I will probably test myself if a bunch of people look like they're about to totally kill me.

If you are a thing: You won't test yourself no matter what. In light of that, I think you should test yourself.

If you are human: You have a chance of becoming a thing if you test yourself. So what? So does whomever else is tested.

Gaining the test seems like a death sentence. I'd recommend you test a random other player. Roll a die if you have to. I can't say for sure whether or not I'd vote for you to be tested if you don't test yourself, but I'm leaning yes.

*destroys the long wave radio* Even one cell gets out, the whole world is assimilated. Nobody's leaving this place until we're sure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13