Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 58

Author Topic: What's Cookin'?  (Read 88805 times)

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: What's Cookin'?
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 11:48:43 PM »

Consider bringing a small container of greek yogurt with you.  Even after the stuff is done, if it's too spicy (or too, uh, Indian for some cracker) it'll mix pretty well with (even nonfat!) greek yogurt.  Some extra garam masala on the side, so people can add it to taste, might also be nice.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 11:58:59 PM »

onion sandwiches really want mayo or cheese or something like that

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 04:11:29 AM »

I finally obtained vegemite again, from a tiny import shop.

:victory:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »

I thought vegemite was illegal, like that maggoty cheese they eat in rural parts of Italy.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2008, 07:28:16 AM »

Nope.

I think they just rely on basic self-preservation to keep people from eating it.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2008, 02:52:34 PM »

around 8 am i started working on the curry; It went in the oven at around 11. Finished cooking at 5:10 ; made it to work at 5:30. And at the rate it's going it'll probably be gone by 6.

Came out great. Most of my curries cook only for about an hour, but this nice, slow-cooked curry has a great flavor and everything is incredibly tender. It was a lot of work for a potluck, but pretty worthwhile since it seems i was the only one who brought real food and everyone likes it a lot.

edit: they finished it at 5:55

ha haaa

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2008, 02:54:04 PM »

What did you wind up going with?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2008, 03:04:55 PM »

What did you wind up going with?

A slow cooked butter chicken recipe with some modifications; It was one of the first slow cooking recipes I was able to find with a very quick search on google but it had some unsatisfactory elements I swapped out. The initial recipe had water and cream and just plain yogurt; I swapped those out with coconut milk and greek yogurt. Wal-mart didn't have any cream so I threw in some half and half, as well. The original recipe also called for adding garam masala at the end, which I personally feel is a bad idea; I threw it in at the start with the aromatics and about a half stick of butter. (I keep passing on ghee at the indian market because it's like ten dollars a can. >:( ) Lastly, I added potatoes. The original recipe called for cooking things incredibly out of order (garlic goes in last? seriously?) and took some british cooking "traditions" (like adding garam masala last) that I wasn't a big fan of so in the end I just took the base and adapted it.

The end result was a great curry; it wasn't too strong in flavor, and was a perfect blend of spicy and sweet. My only complaint was that it was a little too watery ; I'd probably omit the half and half entirely next time, or split the mix of coconut milk and half and half a little better instead of dumping the whole can of cocounut milk into the pot. Alternatively, I could have crushed some cashews and used it as a thickener like I do with my korma, but I was way too lazy for that last night.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2008, 08:14:26 PM »

sauce plz

(Link to base recipe?)

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2008, 11:48:37 PM »

Delicious food description.

Please come cook for me.  :wuv: :wuv:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »

Curried chili and zucchini bread.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 09:21:46 AM »

Roasted chicken breast marinated with Frank's Hot Wing sauce and rolled in crushed red, black peppers.

Edit: Added breading.  Got some cut up taters boiling on the side.

Oh, and some brownies for later.

Fortinbras

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2008, 02:09:43 PM »

You know what I am in love with?  Having friends who don't make plans often.  Because when you haven't got any practice in the field you tend to be stunningly shit at it.  And you do things like scheduling a party and asking Fortinbras to cook, and Fortinbras cooks a stack of orange fritters and crab and green apple tower things and fried rice and peach pastry for you, and then you call Fortinbras after the party was supposed to start to tell him that it's not happening after all.  So Fortinbras waits outside of your apartment building for an hour and a half reading The Satanic Verses with his heap of decaying food while the lugubriously suspicious old people who live there shorten the leashes of their bullshit tiny dogs while staring at Fortinbras out of the corners of their eyes.

All this third person stuff is making me feel like I'm involved with major league baseball.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2008, 06:51:13 PM »

How about I give you my phone number and address so that if that ever happens, you can come over to my place and we can have our own party with blackjack and hookers?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2008, 07:28:36 PM »

Home-made protein bars.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2008, 08:04:36 PM »

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile

EmaWii

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Game Blog
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2008, 11:36:39 AM »

Fig, Prosciutto, and Chevre Pizza.

Recipe here. It's really good cold the next day, too.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »

sauce plz

(Link to base recipe?)

http://bigboysbrunch.wordpress.com/2007/07/08/crockpot-curry/
Okay, so it's makhani.  I guess it also means that your experience making that will also translate towards creation of a vegetarian dish (swap beans for meat) where necessary.  Trader Joe's also has a prepackaged lentil variant (Dal Makhani) in case you're ever in the mood for Indian and low on time/patience; two minutes in the microwave and it's done.

EmaWii

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Game Blog
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2008, 07:35:50 AM »

Fried plantains and black beans.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 58