Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Hey kids! Free comics!  (Read 12989 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Hey kids! Free comics!
« on: October 20, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »

As a sort of supplement to the "Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics" thread, I figure we could use a thread for linking free comics to give people a taste.

To start us off, a few of my current favorites:

The Walking Dead #1

You've probably heard of this one.  Less about zombies than about the survivors who have to deal with the collapse of civilization, it's coming to AMC this Halloween.

(Image, in fact, has numerous other free #1's; I'll probably get to some of them later if somebody else doesn't first.)

Sweet Tooth #1

Another post-apocalyptic story, but instead of zombies, this one has furries.

Well, not really.  The plague that wipes out most of the human race coincides with children being born with animal attributes.  Our story begins years later, with our hero, Gus, a naive boy with antlers who's lived a sheltered life.  All that changes after his father's death, and he finds himself in the center of something much bigger than himself.

The Unwritten #1

Wilson Taylor wrote a bestselling series of children's novels about Tommy Taylor, the boy wizard.  And then he disappeared.

His son, Tom Taylor, makes a living doing the convention circuit, living off his namesake's fame and extremely bitter about it.

What Tom doesn't know is that he's actually a pawn in a big good-versus-evil game -- the Unwritten are a centuries-old sect that has manipulated the world through the power of stories, and he has the potential to be their greatest asset or their greatest enemy.  But if he's going to fight them, first he has to figure out what the hell is going on, exactly.

So, that's a few to start with.  Feel free to add your own links.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Hey kids! Free comics!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »

A storytime thread on /co/ last night went wonderfully right when the artist showed up to put a stop to it and started talking to people.
He changed his stance on pirating comics, and decided to post the entire series of Underground online for free for everyone.

Full story and comics here.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:09:47 AM »

Those guys are actually pretty good!

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:24:37 AM »

The blog post following the one lottel posted with pictures about Sales & Hits is priceless.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 04:59:48 AM »

Bulletproof Coffin #1

By Shaky Kane and David Hine

A sort of meta-fantasy story, in which a void contractor - he cleans out houses after people die, natch - named Steve Newman discovers never before seen prints of old, EC-style comics in the house of a recently deceased old man.  Digging into the comics, he soon realizes that they were printed after the company, Golden Nugget, was absorbed by Big 2 Comics and put out of business.  Eventually he discovers the costume of a masked hero called the Coffin Fly, and discovers the comics may have a sinister quality to them as he grapples with the horrors of reality crashing around him.

The mindfuck of a story also boasts truly gripping, pop-art inspired visuals from Shaky Kane, who's flat, 2D illustrations are brought to life with eye-searing colors and wonderful narration.   Each issue contains a bizarre, story-within-a-story that are clearly inspired by EC comics, but with this menacing, over the top edge.

Go out and read Bulletproof Coffin now.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »

Beasts of Burden: Stray

I really quite like this book; it's about a group of talking dogs (and a couple cats) who investigate the paranormal.  It's a cute premise but it's a pretty dark horror book.  Dorkin's writing is good, and Thompson's painting is gorgeous.

And this week there was a one-shot where they teamed up with Hellboy.  Good stuff.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:40:28 PM »

So I just remembered DC put up a bunch of freebies last year under the heading After Watchmen, What's Next?

There's plenty of great shit there, but I'm going to deal with a couple elephants in the room here, the two biggest breakout hits from the past decade or so at Vertigo.

Fables #1, by Bill Willingham and Lan Medina.
There's a secret community of fairytale characters hidden in the middle of Manhattan.  In this first story, Sheriff Bigby Wolf is called in to investigate the murder of Deputy Mayor Snow White's sister, Rose Red.  (For my money it's a good hook but the story gets much better in volume 2.)

Y: The Last Man #1, by Brian K Vaughan and Pia Guerra.
A mysterious virus wipes out every male on the planet, except for a slacker named Yorick Brown and his monkey, Ampersand.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:36 AM »

Free Paul Chadwick comics

"Orange Glow" is the only one I've read, but it's mysterious, alluring and fantastic.  Also includes his Eisner-winning "Human Dilemma" and a story from The World Below, a trippy sci-fi story he did.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »

More, more!

Sword #1

I was a big fan of the Luna Brother's first breakout book, Girls, so I've been interested in reading Sword.  This first issue is kind of average, though.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »

Via io9:

James Stokoe, the author of the comic Orc Stain, has released 102 pages of his unpublished mutant wasteland comic Murderbullets for free online. The book's like Starship Troopers meets that scene in Akira in which Tetsuo becomes a giant tumor.

You can read the entire story on Sokoe's website (slightly NSFW), and be sure to click on the massive poster below. Incidentally, this 102-page story is just the prologue to the unwritten Murderbullets saga. The response to this preview will hopefully give Stokoe impetus to work further on this strange saga.

Can't access the site from here, but I friggin' love Orc Stain, so everybody go check it out.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »

...Starship Troopers the book or the movie? Sounds like the movie, but they're different enough that I still want to be sure.
...but is it art?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 08:15:16 AM »

Haven't had a chance to read it yet but I'm going to assume movie too; I can't imagine he's playing his premise straight.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »

I've mentioned before, but most of the original Eastman/Laird TMNT run is up at ninjaturtles.com.  Nickelodeon runs the site now and has taken the links off the main page, so I don't know how long the content will still be up, but they're there for now.  Low-res scans, but still plenty of fun.  They've got #1-#17 (excluding #8, a Cerebus crossover) plus one-shots for each of the Turtles and the Fugitoid.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 09:40:44 PM »

Stokoe unleashes another comic bomb, this one he refers to as a sort of proto-Orc Stain: Nomad of the Domes

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 10:16:52 PM »

God that's pretty.  I sure wish I didn't hate sitting at the computer to read comics.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »

digitalcomicmuseum.com (and its British site, goldenagecomics.co.uk) is like the comics equivalent of Project Gutenberg: shit-tons of public-domain books, free to download.  Unlike Gutenberg, it requires an account (or bugmenot), but there are no other hoops to jump through.  The mother lode of free, legal comics.

There's a hell of a lot there and I'm not familiar with most of it, so it's hard to say where to start, but here are a few classics:

Crime Does Not Pay -- the most famous of the crime comics that set off the big scare of the 1950's.

Daredevil -- the original 1940's version, who wielded sticks, fought Hitler, and is probably the most famous and frequently-used of the various public domain superheroes.  A lot of these are fiche, which means crummy quality, but there are some good-quality issues in there too.

Whiz Comics -- SHAZAM!

Pep Comics, home of Archie

Young Romance, the original romance comic by Simon and Kirby

Plastic Man -- I don't think I can overstress just how much I friggin' love these.  Some of the most fun, creative, gorgeous stuff I've ever seen.  Just fine, fine stuff.

Little Nemo, probably the greatest of all the broadsheet strips.

Terry and the Pirates, probably second only to Little Nemo.

The Spirit -- there are a few different versions of these on the site (including reprints in Police Comics, which is also recommended for its original Plastic Man stories), but this particular link is to the original newspaper versions.

Anyway, this thing's a friggin' goldmine; please feel free to share your own finds.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »

Shannon Wheeler's Eisner-nominated I Thought You Would Be Funnier.  If you're into New Yorker cartoons.

Also, Free Comic Book Day is coming up on May 7.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »

Also, Free Comic Book Day is coming up on May 7.

Too bad I'm going to be at an MTG pre-release.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 09:32:21 PM »

FCBD this Saturday.

Official site includes store locator and list of free comics.

Comics Alliance includes a list of Chris Sims's favorite titles.  You can tell it's Chris Sims because it includes the phrase "completely insane".  Chris Sims does not own a thesaurus.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5