Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: You Sunk My Wolfpire!  (Read 16303 times)

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: You Sunk My Wolfpire!
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2012, 05:04:10 AM »

C3

Straight shot with one 45 degree turn and no obstacles. If people don't think it's the next most likely route, we should at least be hitting the fastest paths earlier. I for one don't want this to end without the wolves ever needing to take a risk or even turn.

THE MAD KING

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2012, 05:51:14 AM »

D4. THE MAD KING can clearly see this gives us by far the best echo area considering our last shot. The only way the boat slips by THE MAD KING without being detected with this shot is if they are trolling along the very bottom. This shot gives us the best range of gathering new information via an echodude, which is truly our best hope.

THE MAD KING

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2012, 05:55:42 AM »

D4. THE MAD KING can clearly see this gives us by far the best echo area considering our last shot. The only way the boat slips by THE MAD KING without being detected with this shot is if they are trolling along the very bottom. This shot gives us the best range of gathering new information via an echodude, which is truly our best hope.
This shot checks A1-G7 for the wolfboat. If it pings, it does us less good than if it doesn't; the entire A-row will be cleared, as well as most of B, C, D, E, F, and G. A miss here and we know they are clinging to the bottom of the map. A miss is honestly better than a ping without a hit, in this regard.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2012, 06:26:49 AM »

Hell I meant A3.

I will point out the submarine battleship can move diagonally so distance is really not an issue.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2012, 07:13:35 AM »

I will retcon the story to make it into a submersible battleship.

Proceed.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2012, 07:33:30 AM »

Straight shot with one 45 degree turn and no obstacles. If people don't think it's the next most likely route, we should at least be hitting the fastest paths earlier. I for one don't want this to end without the wolves ever needing to take a risk or even turn.
I don't think the wolves actually want straight shots, because of the sonar guy or whatever.

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2012, 07:35:55 AM »

We want to have at least a chance of hitting them with each shot, and I find it highly unlikely that they would have used their speed-boost this early in order to get to a square with an obstacle in it. And anyway, like you pointed out in your next post, having the maximum echo area possible wouldn't be good if we do get a ping.

I personally think the ship is most likely to be in D3, because that's where I would go, but if we want to focus more on isolating its location through echoes then A3 or B3 would be the square to shoot.

Nickasummers

• Beep
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »

I'd like to point out that tomorrow morning we are going to learn their position from turn 1. What pings the echo dudes get combined with where they started and the assumption they arent going to let the radar guy get a directional reading on them will allow us to figure out fairly accurately where they are, assuming our shot is well-placed.

I personally think the ship is most likely to be in D3, because that's where I would go
I too would have gone to D3. It is a good position to zigzag around without hitting obstacles but never going the same direction twice. I also don't horribly dislike the area that the echo guys would pick up if we shot there.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »

I'm more persuaded by Zara's position, so I'll  A3 as well.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »

It's probably more useful to bombard a more central area to take advantage of echoes.
We know that the wolves aren't going to be moving in a straight line basically ever (because it's suicide).

Mostly, I think we need to rely on echoes, and remember that the wolves will sabotage reads and lock down powers whenever they can.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »

sorry for not posting much guys i've been distracted

a3 i guess

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2012, 11:11:48 AM »

I don't like this A3 shot.

I like Beat Bandit's C3 better and vote for it.

Hold on I'm making a diagram.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »

So if we shoot C3 we get this:

RED - first shot echo
GREEN - C3 shot echo
YELLOW - potential tricky sub move
ORANGE - Naughty boost

So the question is, what do we want to do. I guess really, our aim is not to make sure the next shot echos, it's to locate the sub. So at this point maybe getting it to not echo is actually in our best interest as that will locate it.

It's sort of like doing a negative test for collision in a video game. The collision box of an object on the screen in a game is generally smaller than the total area of the screen. So, it's faster to check if something isn't colliding with you than to test if it is.

Kazz, do the binocular dudes spot where the ship is at the start of the night or after the wolves move that night?

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »

A3

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »

* Radar Guy's speed and direction report relate to that night's move, so he receives his report after the ship moves.

* Sonar Tech's damage report, both result of the day shot and any bomber/mine/terrain damage, come after the ship moves.

* Binoculars Pal is notified if the ship ends its move within the 3x3 square, again, after the ship moves.

* Echo Bro can receive his report at any time, but I send it out after the ship moves anyway, along with all the others.  It is calculated based on where the ship was when the day shot was fired, before the ship moves that night.

The other reason that I do that is so that the wolfpires have a chance to block, disrupt, or manstab whoever they feel the need to.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »

I actually think that E3 is a good place to shoot to eliminate them being in the top row of the map and it might hit them too if they went where I guessed they might have gone in my diagram there.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »

E3

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »

Binocular pal, could you look at B5?

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2012, 03:59:40 PM »

bingo

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile