Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37]

Author Topic: Unforgivable Sins of Game Design  (Read 67895 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Unforgivable Sins of Game Design
« Reply #720 on: November 07, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »

I read "rygaron" as an adjective in that image.

That's so totally ryagaron!

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 19, 2013, 06:52:13 PM »

Actually, the least necessary arrow was the one that hit that guard in the knee.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #723 on: December 22, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »

DuckTales Remastered's post-boss escape is TWICE THE LENGTH of the original.

And if you die in the second part? Once you revive, you have LESS THAN ONE SECOND to get off the spawn platform before the lava gets you and you die again.

I can understand being faithful to the original but that's just bullshit.

Unrelated: Game tutorials that work by vomiting several boxes of click-through text in a row, then closing the text and expecting you to remember what was just said. If your game tutorial is indistinguishable from the EULA screen, why even bother adding one?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #724 on: December 23, 2013, 05:38:51 PM »

And if you die in the second part? Once you revive, you have LESS THAN ONE SECOND to get off the spawn platform before the lava gets you and you die again.

Well, sure, if you weren't on your last life already.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 03, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »

Any variation on a game placing a reward on a punishment path.

If you succesfully beat the obstacle, either you have to backtrack, or leave a resource behind. Even if this is a tutorial and the chest contains a potion to heal the spike damage, why not give a skilled player a proper reward for making the jump?

Oh, and along that same line of thought, when a punishment path leading backwards appears as an exploration option before the obstacle is encountered (but is actually a waste of time).

Elder Scrolls dungeons feel like they do both a lot but it's not like they have a monopoly on that crap.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 03, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »

In Elder Scrolls games, I feel like there shouldn't be "punishment paths" to begin with.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 03, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »

It's really annoying when games give you a password or combination, like you're supposed to remember it, but then when you get to the safe/computer/whatever the character just enters it in automatically.  Just tell me "You got the password to the computer" if you're not going to require me to remember it.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 03, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »

In Elder Scrolls games, I feel like there shouldn't be "punishment paths" to begin with.

Good point, actually.

Or, hmm. Expand them. By their nature, the dungeons in these games are both unique and disposable; they are in a special position to let most of them possibly become "the one that got away". But by and large, you're not allowed to permanently fail them. The games (or at least, those I've played) just don't let you booch up a delve entirely, outside of the death->reload loop. Your character's adventures are a nigh-uninterrupted string of victories punctuated by the occasional "I'm not tooled up for this one, maybe I'll come back later". Consequently, "turning back and escaping with your life" is the closest you can get to an actual failure state, whereas it should be a thrill and its own kind of victory.

What I'm saying is, instead of having instances of "I fell down this spike pit trap, guess I'll have to hoof it back up to the main level", there should be instances of "I didn't notice this pressure plate, now the tunnels have caved in, I can't get to the boss chest and I need to find an alternate exit and OH SHIT FIVE TROLLS RUN RUN RUN". Heck, put those instances in major quest lines. "Welp, guess this guy ain't making it to archmage."

Maybe I should try my hand at Skyrim modding.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 03, 2014, 04:28:15 PM »

Good point, actually.

Or, hmm. Expand them. By their nature, the dungeons in these games are both unique and disposable; they are in a special position to let most of them possibly become "the one that got away". But by and large, you're not allowed to permanently fail them. The games (or at least, those I've played) just don't let you booch up a delve entirely, outside of the death->reload loop. Your character's adventures are a nigh-uninterrupted string of victories punctuated by the occasional "I'm not tooled up for this one, maybe I'll come back later". Consequently, "turning back and escaping with your life" is the closest you can get to an actual failure state, whereas it should be a thrill and its own kind of victory.

What I'm saying is, instead of having instances of "I fell down this spike pit trap, guess I'll have to hoof it back up to the main level", there should be instances of "I didn't notice this pressure plate, now the tunnels have caved in, I can't get to the boss chest and I need to find an alternate exit and OH SHIT FIVE TROLLS RUN RUN RUN". Heck, put those instances in major quest lines. "Welp, guess this guy ain't making it to archmage."

Maybe I should try my hand at Skyrim modding.

Yyyyeah, in this day and age that just means lots of reloading saves.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Healy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 03, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »

I laugh, but I'm fairly guilty of this in my own work.
the assassination of video james by the coward electronic arts

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 04, 2014, 02:00:30 AM »

Yyyyeah, in this day and age that just means lots of reloading saves.

Well if people want to wuss out I guess they should be allowed to.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37]