Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

Anyone playing Card Hunter?

Why yes, yes I am.
No, freemium models are gross even if the game does have a very charming presentation.
Encounter!

Author Topic: Card Hunteria  (Read 778 times)

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Card Hunteria
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »

The development team is just under 10 or so people and it includes mysterious and productive Australian indie developer, Farbs. I really like the presentation of his Captain Jameson game. The BBS style menus for interacting with space stations really strokes my 80s computing boner.

But yeah, Card Hunter, It's cool. It's a little bit grindy, but not enough to put me off and the whole cards in hand equals what you can do or be protected from that turn system it has going is cool. Is a guy's crazy armour fucking you over? Well you could hit him with a armour disolve or armour boil spell OR if you're clever, maybe you'll just hit him with a memory loss spell since it's been a few turns and you figure his armour is the oldest card in his hand.

Anyway, I really just wanted to show off my priest. He's a skeleton with a giant skeletal arm as one of his maces and the severed hand of a GM's Mary Sue character as one of his unholy trinkets.

Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
Re: Card Hunteria
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:18:04 AM »

"a little bit grindy"? Be honest.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:40:15 AM »

Holy fuck, it's Geo.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »

Geo, go home.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »

Played a bit more. It feels like a weirdly random and uneven experience: when you need lots of attack cards, you get four armor cards (that don't do anything because the dice are probably rigged). When the enemy has eight Run cards and is tapdancing around the room, you get only close-range attack cards. The items and cards have weird nondescriptive names just for the sake of shaming you into getting better ones (is Rusty Armor better than Unreliable Armor or Flimsy Armor? Who knows!) and you can't just check for level or cost since better items will often have bizarre side-effect cards you'll be drawing at the worst time.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 06:33:36 AM »

I'm a big fan. There's definitely some aspect of randomness but you get three tries per encounter before the dungeon starts over that should be more than enough to get you past bad luck.

The freemium content seems to be all about more chances at good items (nothing better than you can get naturally) and outfits for characters. though there were hints that in the future there may be some actual gameplay restrictions for free players, it's nothing intrusive some 5~ hours in.

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 09:11:43 AM »

I've been playing late into the night for the past few nights. Losing to a bum draw is aggravating, but I like the characters and aesthetics enough to keep me around. When a plan comes together perfectly, all is right again.

"Okay, there are slimes and skeletons? Then I'll need to equip this and this, but not that or this."

aleezysam

• Untested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »

I think we did that. Or at least we used monsters with the right rating. The thing is that my players abused the shit out of their Line of Sight to completely neuter any even vaguely dangerous monster placements that I might have had. Maybe I wasn't drawing enough threat or doing enough threat cycling, but I wasn't able to get proper monster hordes on them in efficient pincer movements.
men leather jackets men leather jackets       
ccie lab dumps ccie lab dumps