Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Wonder Woman  (Read 19760 times)

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder Woman
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2011, 07:00:26 PM »

That's not news. That's not even almost news.
That's a rumor for a project that won't happen.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/12/nbc-rejects-wonder-woman/

NBC isn’t saying for now but scuttlebutt reveals the pilot earned mixed reviews at test screenings. And then there was all the online blow back about the costume – which seemed to de-emphasize the patriotism and play up the comic’s Greek mythology. Ultimately, the wardrobe department went back to the drawing board but that didn’t seem to save the project.

It's nice to know that whoever is responding to these things is getting it completely backwards

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »

David Kelley is recycling the costume for an episode of Harry's Law.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »

Grant Morrison will be writing an "Earth-One" Wonder Woman, prompting Greg Rucka to leave DC

I was told I was not going to do it. Dan Didio called me and told me he was giving it to someone else. And I said if you take that away from me I can no longer work for you because I have taken many a job for you, sir, on the promise of doing this and now you’re taking it away and I can no longer accept your promises any more. He had his reasons for doing it; this is not me throwing stones. This is just the way things shook out.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »

Well that explains it.

Can't fucking begin to understand shit like this.  We've already got an in-continuity Wonder Woman reboot by Azzarello, and an out-of-continuity Wonder Woman reboot by Grant Morrison coming.  This, what, two years after the last in-continuity Wonder Woman reboot by JMS?

What the fuck is with this reasoning that three different Wonder Woman rewrites are fine but a fourth would just be too damn much?

Now, I'm curious about Morrison's WW project.  I think he's got a good high concept, going back to the original WMM kink.  But I'm also leery of a couple of things about it, firstly that he doesn't actually appear to have talked to any woman for THEIR perspective on the subject, and secondly that his high-concept back-to-the-roots reboot on Superman has been a pretty mixed bag.

But Williams/Rucka on Wonder Woman?  What the fuck is wrong with anyone who says "no" to that?

Course, this IS the same company that won't return Steve Rude's calls.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2012, 05:55:57 AM »

Quote from: http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/superman-man-steel-henry-cavill-seen-wonder-woman-gina-carano
Guess what's rumored for the new Superman movie, Man of Steel?

A Wonder Woman appearance.

Guess who is a couple in the DC Comics?

Superman and Wonder Woman.

Guess who was spotted together at the recent McLaren Automotive unveiling?

Henry Cavill with fitness model/mma star/actress/americangladiator Gina Carano.

Guess who's the "favorite" to play Wonder Woman.

Yup.

We know Henry Cavill broke up with his fiancee.

Wonder where Cavill and Carano met?

Yup.

hurm.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »

Gina Carano would be a fantastic Wonder Woman.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2012, 10:37:31 PM »

Alex: …
Alex: what
Alex: what the fuck DC
Alex: For years, I’ve heard that the reason that there was no Wonder Woman sequel, or that DC was shying away from female-centric movies, was because Wonder Woman didn’t sell well
Alex: It is the 4th highest grossing movie in the series, out of 14
Alex: Let’s take a look at the movies which grossed higher:
Me: Are you shitting me
Alex: Superman Doomsday, which was the first one they ever released
Alex: Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, which had the shit marketed out of it
Alex: Seriously, it was everywhere
Alex: And Batman: Gotham Knight, which was a Nolanverse tie-in
Alex: That’s it
Me: … Oh my god
Alex: Those are the only animated DC movies that grossed higher than Wonder Woman

I mean...maybe WB has very, VERY different data from the sources referenced in that Wikipedia article...but I find it very easy to believe that WB's "This sold too poorly" call was a result of bias rather than data.

Course, it bears noting that WB also fired Joss Whedon from its Wonder Woman project and he turned around and made the top-grossing superhero film of all time.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »

I mean...maybe WB has very, VERY different data from the sources referenced in that Wikipedia article...but I find it very easy to believe that WB's "This sold too poorly" call was a result of bias rather than data.

I'll bet I can guess what kind of bias:

"This sold too poorly compared to Superman or Batman."

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2012, 09:28:34 AM »

See, Wonder Woman underperformed... for a woman! If she wanted to be successful, she should have grossed $15 million!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »

I'll bet I can guess what kind of bias:

"This sold too poorly compared to Superman or Batman."

Yesbut it DIDN'T.

3 movies featuring Superman and/or Batman outperformed it.  8 movies featuring Superman and/or Batman did not.  5, if you don't count the Justice League ones.

(The other two?  Green Lantern.  Green Lantern got a second direct-to-video movie, despite his first one underselling Wonder Woman.  Granted, he got a second one because it was a tie-in with a live-action Hollywood movie...but all that does is highlight that we got a big-budget Green Lantern movie with no Wonder Woman movie in sight.)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

I don't think Buge is actually arguing that. He just meant that that was what the executive bullshit line was.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2012, 02:19:47 PM »

I don't think Buge is actually arguing that. He just meant that that was what the executive bullshit line was.

yes, this.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »

Wonder Woman can only ever be expected to make 70% of what a male superhero makes.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »

INVISIBLE GLASS AIRPLANE CEILING

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »

yes, this.

Well, sure.  But this tends to strongly suggest that they made their judgement completely independently of any objective data.

Not that that's a surprise, I guess.  But on the other hand, up until now I found it entirely plausible that Wonder Woman had performed poorly.  I thought it was a middling entry, and I didn't expect these things would be selling well outside of the typical fanboy demographics -- and Wonder Woman's been a modest seller as a comic book for decades.

Those are all perfectly reasonable hypotheses.  But now I smell a strong scent of confirmation bias on them.  Warner saw what they expected to see instead of what was actually there.  Which takes it from being merely a disappointing corporate decision to being straight-up bad business.

Now, when a property doesn't sell, there's a knee-jerk "People don't want to see this property" response to it.  The response to Superman 4 kept Superman out of theaters for the better part of two decades, and the response to Superman Returns prompted another lengthy break followed by a reboot.  Which comes on the heels of the popular Batman reboot that happened nearly a decade after Batman and Robin made Warner decide people weren't interested in Batman anymore.

Green Lantern's looking at the same problem, which is a real pity because there could be a legitimately great Green Lantern movie.  (And I really don't think the one we got was as bad as everybody says, but it was pretty bland and unfocused.)

Wonder Woman...well, she's very popular as an icon but hasn't had a successful mainstream property since the 1970's.  (Which actually sounds a bit like the Hulk, who had two movies with his name in the title that weren't particularly well-received and then became a breakout character in an ensemble piece, which I think is also exactly what Warner has in mind for WW.)

I don't think the problem is that there's nobody out there who knows how to make her appealing to a mass-market audience -- I think the problem is that nobody with a corner office at Warner knows a good idea when they hear it.

I guess it's possible a Whedon-helmed Wonder Woman movie could have flopped.  (Or at least "flopped", like Superman Returns and Green Lantern, which both made money.)  But I bet it would have been good, and at least gotten people interested in the character as more than a corporate logo.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2013, 05:20:30 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]