Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30

Author Topic: Street Fighter 4.  (Read 44681 times)

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Street Fighter 4.
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2011, 08:13:43 AM »

God I hope you all get hit by a truck full of dicks.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2011, 08:49:54 AM »

So closed platform =/= DRM
However open platform with offline restrictions = DRM
and DRM, apparently = baby seal clubbing

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »

Uhh, why take the convoluted route? Occam would slap you for being so presumptuous. We're not even discussing the platform itself, just AE.

Platform on which offline play is unrestricted > Platform on which offline play is restricted.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2011, 10:08:38 AM »

My point is simply that if DRM were to take a physical form in this world, it would be a game console. So buying it on console in protest of DRM is fucking psychotic.

It's not convoluted or circuitous. Additionally, spoiler alert, being disconnected from the internet restricts you from most of the available modes on every platform.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2011, 10:44:51 AM »

I'll be more than happy to fight you too Smiler. I really don't mind an inherently multiplayer game being limited when I'm offline that much.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »

Game that randomly fucks up and stops working > Game that doesn't randomly fuck up and stop working.  Although I wouldn't necessarily name the PS3 as the console of choice for that route.

Also the XBox 360 version of SF4 got pirated 850,000 times.  That's a full million less than the PC admittedly, but a lot of that can be chalked up to the PC version being right the fuck there.  I would really like to kill this fantasy of consoles being an utterly uncrackable format though so people will stop doing retarded shit like developing Crysis specifically for Xboxes.

I'm not even sure why people are stumping for the PC version of this game anyway.  The original PC port ran terrible and had shitty online support through GFWL, and the new one doesn't change any of that.  The only reason to get these games on PC is to strip Cammy and dress Rufus up like Robotnik, which you should probably be doing offline with a cracked copy anyway, you fucking weirdo.

icantwaitfornudemakotothereisaidit

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »

And once again I think you're all a bunch of cry babies, particularly since the DRM in this case is something you'd have to use with the game in any case.

In what conceivable way is that true?

This isn't Assassin's Creed 2 here, they let you finish the session before forcing you to reconnect, and it doesn't install anything third party a la SecuROM. Call the fucking freedom police.

Oh, okay, it's not as bad as something really fucking awful, therefore it's okay.

You're not as smart as Stephen Hawking, therefore you're a moron.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2011, 01:35:53 PM »

Bwah? PC port ran great, what are you talking about Brentai?

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2011, 01:37:40 PM »

Given that some form of DRM is going to be on most any game for at least the next upper employee generation, I'm not really seeing how, "It's not as bad as most," is a bad argument.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »

Hey, I don't like the whole offline thing, but I'm still getting it for PC anyway, and also for PS3 because I enjoy getting the same game several times.

Also, the problem is that this particular DRM restricts things in the offline mode, which I can't remember any other game doing, despite what Sven there said of Blizzard and Valve, which is a lie really (actually, maybe it's true for blizzard games).

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »

Yeah I'm okay with some reasonable DRM (assuming there is such a thing), but the 15 characters thing is just retarded. For example, if I'm a Ryu player I can practice combos on an airplane, but if I main a newer character, I'm boned? It's just insultingly stupid. I almost (ALMOST) wish they just made it so you had to be online to play at all, because as awful as they'd be, it'd seem less arbitrary.

Oh well, just like Patito, I'll have this on the ps3 and pc. I get where Bal is coming from in the sense that I agree it shouldn't actually be much of a problem (and at least for me, I'll always have a backup, assuming GFWL and PSN don't get hacked at the same time), but the whole setup seems stupid and will probably only do capcom harm.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »

I don't feel like typing out everything I was typing out but the bottom line is that, yes, removing characters when offline is a big deal for me, because I spend a lot of time in single player offline.  I'm not exactly thrilled when PSN/LIVE/Steam tracks how many times I get punched while I'm just fucking around and posts it publicly.

Aaand there goes the elephant in the living room, right there: they very probably don't give two shits about pirates and instead want to force you to voluntarily send them data.  Fuck that crap.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »

If anyone has that link to a news story where a Japanese Capcom exec said, in so many words, that it was simply the thought of someone playing his game without paying for it that set him off, reguardless of platform or the amount of times, now would be a good time to link it

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »

Also the XBox 360 version of SF4 got pirated 850,000 times.  That's a full million less than the PC admittedly, but a lot of that can be chalked up to the PC version being right the fuck there.  I would really like to kill this fantasy of consoles being an utterly uncrackable format though so people will stop doing retarded shit like developing Skyrim specifically for Xboxes.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2011, 05:51:30 PM »

Oblivion was already a sloppy X-Box port, so that's not nearly as egregious as taking what was essentially a really overglorified PC benchmarking program and pretending people were in it for the console multiplayer.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »

And once again I think you're all a bunch of cry babies, particularly since the DRM in this case is something you'd have to use with the game in any case.

In what conceivable way is that true?

Because you have to be connected to the internet to use all but two functions available in the game in any case, that's why. The only "offline" modes are Arcade and Challenge/Training. Whereas the online only components of the game comprise a huge list of things from simple matchmaking to replay tracking of favorite players. If you buy this game, it is not for the offline.

As for your second point, which I'm too lazy to edit in but I'm sure you remember because you said it, that's a ridiculous and inaccurate stance to take in regards to what I said. I didn't say that because it's not as bad as AC2's horrible DRM, it's good. I simply said that it isn't as bad, and in so doing implied that it was, in fact, a tolerable form of DRM, particularly in light of points made above.

I know you still want to live in your open source consumer utopia, but men in suits run the world, and when men in suits see that pirates are "stealing" their product they order other men, who do not always wear suits to do something about it. Maybe these men don't want to, maybe they do, but they will in any case, because the men in suits sign the checks. So you can either accept that for the foreseeable future there will be DRM, or you can continue to have a hissy fit every single time a game you're interested in announces that it has some.

I choose to have a scale, with Ubisoft's old "big brother system" at the end even I won't buy, and that sort of "DRM as a service" offered by Steamworks games at the other. That's not to say you don't get your Witcher 2s from time to time, but they're a privately owned company, who sold the DRM free version on their own website as much to drum up publicity for that version (the 100% profit to them version) as anything else.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »

Someday developers will learn that it's the execution and not the concept of DRM that they need to justify.

EDIT: Actually disregard that, since I just remembered you were replying to Thad posting "DRM doesn't fucking work" in size 20 text 6 times.  In that case I agree with you.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »

Bwah? PC port ran great, what are you talking about Brentai?
I'm going to have to go with this. Unless you had a really bad pc or something. The game ran pretty fine. Me and Geo/Kayma (I forget) Used to play all the time.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2011, 10:09:03 PM »

Given that some form of DRM is going to be on most any game for at least the next upper employee generation, I'm not really seeing how, "It's not as bad as most," is a bad argument.

1. I don't see how it's a GOOD argument.
2. It's not the argument he made.  The argument he made is "it's not as bad as the worst two I can possibly think of."

Because you have to be connected to the internet to use all but two functions available in the game in any case, that's why. The only "offline" modes are Arcade and Challenge/Training.

And maybe PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY A GODDAMN STREET FIGHTER GAME IN ARCADE MODE, YOU TWAT.

You're being deliberately thick at this point.  Stop it.

Whereas the online only components of the game comprise a huge list of things from simple matchmaking to replay tracking of favorite players. If you buy this game, it is not for the offline.

Hey, here's a thought: maybe don't tell me why I buy games.

As for your second point, which I'm too lazy to edit in but I'm sure you remember because you said it, that's a ridiculous and inaccurate stance to take in regards to what I said. I didn't say that because it's not as bad as AC2's horrible DRM, it's good. I simply said that it isn't as bad, and in so doing implied that it was, in fact, a tolerable form of DRM, particularly in light of points made above.

Oh, right, you didn't imply it was "okay", you implied it was "tolerable".  COMPLETELY different.  Hang on, I SWEAR I've seen this type of debate tactic before...

Maverick is your word, not mine. I said rebel.

Oh right.  Moving on...

I know you still want to live in your open source consumer utopia, but men in suits run the world, and when men in suits see that pirates are "stealing" their product they order other men, who do not always wear suits to do something about it. Maybe these men don't want to, maybe they do, but they will in any case, because the men in suits sign the checks. So you can either accept that for the foreseeable future there will be DRM, or you can continue to have a hissy fit every single time a game you're interested in announces that it has some.

That's cute.  You accuse me of invoking a strawman because I dared to accuse you of suggesting that this DRM was OKAY because it wasn't as bad as Ubi's when what you clearly meant was that it was TOLERABLE because it wasn't as bad as Ubi's, and then you turn right around and see how many loaded exaggerations you can cram into three sentences.

Here's another thought: maybe if you can't spend even ONE POST debating my actual stance instead of a ridiculous exaggeration of it, that says something about the strength of YOUR argument.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2011, 10:35:43 PM »

I think we've reached the point in this debate that we always do. You don't like DRM on principle, and I usually end up arguing for it, or at least against the idea that it's all bad. Then we go back and forth for a few pages, until it quagmires because we just disagree, and there is no objectively correct answer (except for mine of course).

So we come to the part where I quit, either by not posting again, or just saying "fuck it". Feel free to make your obligatory "It's not that you don't want to argue anymore, you just can't" post if you like. I really wouldn't feel right without it. Oh, and this whole post was another strawman.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30