Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: The Last Airbender [Legend of Korra SPOILERS]  (Read 27753 times)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Airbender [Legend of Korra SPOILERS]
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »

Early on there was some speculation that the various incidents Korra was experiencing were helping her to unblock her chakras in the order that Pratik described; you will note that she was able to see more and more of Aang's memory as the season went on. In the final episode she turned away from worldly attachments, as evidenced by pushing away her friends and family; at that time, the only thing she wanted was to be the Avatar.

Attaining an epiphany in the depths of despair is not such an uncommon occurrence, and when you're the Avatar, it's established that such epiphanic revelations can come in the form of contact with your past lives. The problem isn't that it happened, but some more insight into Korra's spiritual state would've made it clearer why it was happening.

It's incorrect to call it a deus ex machina, because the mechanism behind it was previously established and highly relevant in the first series.
...but is it art?

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »

The surprising thing about Korra has always been that it took her so long. Granted, Aang had a leg up on the spiritual side of thing having been raised an Air Nomad, but Korra is older than Aang was when he defeated Ozai when the show begins. Her inability to connect with airbending and the spirit world is very personally concerning to her throughout, and one would expect her to take the whole season to finally do it, particularly since this was originally written as the only season.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2012, 01:51:56 PM »

Yes and Korra got her powers back in about 5 minutes. The point is at least Aang thought and focused on it. The lion turtle gave him the knowledge because he actually made an effort to look for another way other than killing.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »

Aang's spirit bending came after days of meditation and consultation with his past lives. Korra had a spiritual block all season, got sad and Aang Ex Machina gave her everything.

He talked to his past selves, who consulted him to kill Ozai dead, and then a Lion Turtle told him that spirit bending existed, and then poked him in the forehead, apparently giving him the knowledge to do it. This all took place over the course of a day.

Remember how people bitched about it because it came out of nowhere? And that was after, as you said, "a day". Korra walked to a cliff and dropped a tear. I'm not saying Magic Aang shouldn't have shown up and fixed it, I'm saying the first episode of s2 should have been Korra's "day" and then Magic Aang shows up and fixes it.

EDIT: Bongo's probably right, though. No way a kid's show has a season ending on such a sad note OH WAIT S2 ENDED WITH AANG LOSING HIS AVATAR STATE AND IROH'S CAPTURE

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »

Except they wrote the ending for this season, and started animation, before season 2 was greenlit. If it seems all packaged and tied up with a bow at the end, it's because it was supposed to be.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »

Yes and?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »

personally i thought it was total bullshit that tenzin died even after korra fed him all those fish
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »

Except they wrote the ending for this season, and started animation, before season 2 was greenlit. If it seems all packaged and tied up with a bow at the end, it's because it was supposed to be.

Yes, you're right. I just wished they had gone back and reworked it a bit.

personally i thought it was total bullshit that tenzin died even after korra fed him all those fish

well she kept catching him the ones that moved slow and circled each other

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »

Yeah, tumblr has been pretty great these past couple of days.

Case in point:

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »

So apparently, maybe, Korra was probably contemplating suicide just before Aang showed up.

Anyway, a lot of people are complaining that a season with Korra trying to regain control of the elements would have been interesting or whatever. I'm not entirely sold on that, though. We've already had the Avatar struggle to master all four elements -- Aang with Earth, Fire and Water (Although it was more Katara who struggled to learn that element), and Korra struggled to learn Air. The next season is going to be something we really haven't had, yet: a fully realized Avatar. All four Elements, Energy Bending, and The Avatar State are all at Korra's fingertips, and where before that may have made her too powerful for anything to really be a threat, remember that she now lives in a world on the verge of splitting the atom.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »

Yeah, while I think the finale should have not crammed so many plot points into the same sudden span and given them time to develop in Season 2, thinking that "TRAINING ARC, AGAIN!" for Season 2 would be great is...nonsensical. Korra started knowing the elements for a reason, we don't need more mcguffin filler quests

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2012, 02:54:02 PM »

no but we do need more spirit world

all the spirit world
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »

Look, we all knew magic Aang was gonna give her back her powers if she lost them, I have no issue with this. And it's not like she was gonna retrain to learn the elements because that was impossible. But I just wanted to see the journey towards magic Aang, I don't want to see the destination like a minute after the journey starts.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »

Look, we all knew magic Aang was gonna give her back her powers if she lost them, I have no issue with this. And it's not like she was gonna retrain to learn the elements because that was impossible. But I just wanted to see the journey towards magic Aang, I don't want to see the destination like a minute after the journey starts.

This.

upthorn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2012, 11:58:04 PM »

We did see that journey. It was called the entire first season. In the second scene of episode one, she starts the journey towards getting in touch with her spiritual side. She takes several steps over the course of the season, most of which occur under great stress.
She loses her powers in the process, but that isn't the start of the journey, it's a point where she's already managed to call up memories from a past life, indicating that she's close to the goal.
So of all the complaints I've seen about the season finale, Aang ex Machina is the most bullshit.
signature

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2012, 12:13:20 AM »

I respectfully disagree that the season had much of Korra doing anything spiritual.

This is what happened during the season. Korra plays sports. Korra gets hit in the head a few times so she has some flashbacks. Korra gets kidnapped, spends time in a box and then I guess finally meditates because what else is there to do in a box. And then finally she gets super sad.

Of course all of this is also peppered with some fight sequences and Mako.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2012, 02:25:09 AM »

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2012, 04:25:52 AM »

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2012, 04:29:19 AM »

I wonder if the reason Amon was so physically capable was if he bloodbending himself around.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16