Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 45

Author Topic: Culture Wars  (Read 73473 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Wars
« Reply #620 on: February 05, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 05, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »

I've always seen this sort of thing as a call to start buying up land in the most affluent gerrymanders and build as many rent-controlled apartment units as you can.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 05, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »

RE: Gifford's replacement. I'm not really up on local politics enough to know who might be throwing their hats into the ring, but I can tell you right now that Tucson politics are kind of weird in general. Mostly liberal, with a dash of gun toting desert folk.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 05, 2012, 10:15:50 PM »

Gun toting liberals are my favorite kind of liberals, since gun-toting liberal politicians can completely silence the groups opposed to it. Gun control isn't exactly an issue driving liberals to the polls, but when you suggest to a remotely right leaning individual that you're going to take their guns away they're leaping into their pickup truck to the polls so fast it'll break the goddamn sound barrier.

It'll be interesting to see how many tens of thousands of miles away from the topic the candidates are going to be staying, though, considering the conditions of Giffords' exit.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 13, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »

http://youtu.be/fOaCemmsnNk

What if a talking head was being fired from Fox News?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 13, 2012, 10:22:57 AM »

I can't watch the video at work, our network is taking a shit so big you could see it from space. Summary?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 13, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »

Yeah, sorry.  Judge Napolitano's show on Fox Business is going away, and so that is just under 5 minutes of him ranting at pretty much everything that we've been chattering on about for the last year or so.  Basically, Republicans and Democrats being two sides of the same damn coin that you're putting in to the penny arcade that is the US political system.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 13, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »

President Gabe?!

GAME OVER EVERBODY LOSES

(yes, I know you're talking about real penny arcades, I just couldn't resist)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #628 on: February 13, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »

He said much the same in his Daily Show interview the other day.

It's a great general point, of course, but keep the man's personal politics in mind too.  He's a Paulite, and Daily Show once did the back-to-back "then and now" clip thing with him ranting about freeloading teachers making $50K per year, after having previously ranted that we can't limit CEO bonuses for banks that have received bailout money because they'd lose their incentive to make the banks better.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 13, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »

It's a great general point, of course, but keep the man's personal politics in mind too.  He's a Paulite

Indeed.  This is exactly like something from Ron Paul.  A rare, mostly agreeable save for one important aspect (in this case, endorsing Ron Paul) short speech shining like a diamond in the rough amongst an endless desert of lunacy and horseshit.

I agree the two-party system needs to be fixed.  But Ron Paul would not and will not save us from it, and what Paul would do, or at least try to do, is awful enough to give one pause for consideration of if hypothetical repair of our broken political system would even be worth it.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 13, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »

Yeah. I'd almost say it'd be worth the shakeup if I weren't so sure Paul would end up as a perfect example for the powers that be that the status quo is better than any change whatsoever.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 13, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »

He's not saying anything I haven't been saying for the last few months.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 13, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »

Think this fits better in here than in LGBT:
Washington's Governor signs gay marriage into law... on the same day as a Rick Santorum appearance near Seattle.  :troll:

Santorum sparred with protesters throughout his speech, trying to draw a rhetorical link between their interruptions and the Obama administration's decisions about government regulations, including the recent controversy over whether religious nonprofits must cover contraception.

"What we see is an intolerance of different points of view, those who do not want the other side to have a voice," Santorum said at the rally.

As protesters continued to disrupt his speech, police dragged two of them away.
:perfect:
We sure do see that, Rick. We sure do.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #633 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »

I remember there was a speech by Condi Rice where somebody shouted something and got hauled out by security and she made a comment to the effect of "Isn't it nice we have freedom of speech in this country?"

Here's the thing: if "freedom of speech" means "you can say whatever you want as long as you don't mind being hauled off by armed guards," then EVERY country has freedom of speech.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »

Great little segment on the Daily Show where Stewart once again deflects a Godwin:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-13-2012/the-vagina-ideologues---sean-hannity-s-holy-sausage-fest

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 17, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »

Could you summarize for those of us not in the USA?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 17, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »

Huh, is it blocked outside of the US?

In regards to the birth control controversy, Sean Hannity conviened a panel on Fox on the subject of contraception. Was proported to be a diverse panel, with Jewish and Catholic and White and Black men, but predictably zero women.

Very quickly, Hannity drives the conversation to "Is there a war now, on religion?" to which a catholic priest immediately answers "There certainly is!" It clips away, then when it comes back Hannity asks "How many of your would be willing to go to jail for this?" About three quarters raise their hands. A priest goes "If I'm asked to do something that goes against my conscience, I'd better be willing to die for that!"

A guy on an msnbc discussion panel then drops the Godwin in relating this contraception issue to the rise of Nazi Germany, saying that "In the beginning, it starts really really small", another guy quotes Martin Niemoller's "During the Nazi era in Germany, I didn't speak up when they came for the communists, because I wasn't a communist"

Stewart points out that Hitler never "started out small", going on about the incident that put Hitler in jail, then Mein Kampf's popularity, then the public 1932 shootings by the browncoats of his political opponents, then the massive yearly Nazi gatherings. And so forth.

Stewart basically goes on to talk about how Christian conservatives claiming religious prosection here cheapens actual religious prosection that happens in egypt and china and elsewhere in the world today. He finishes with "You've confused a war on your religion with not always getting everything you want."

Also I guess this should be in the abortion thread, huh.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 17, 2012, 12:40:47 PM »

FWIW: Daily Show is ALWAYS blocked outside the US.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 17, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »

Technically, we can watch it on the Comdy Network's website, but the episodes are like a week behind.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 17, 2012, 09:32:55 PM »

The Comedy Network website has a pretty terrible interface, but the clip is here.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 45