Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Running-Mate Discussion  (Read 37655 times)

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Running-Mate Discussion
« Reply #260 on: September 12, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »

my reaction was considered a norm in thad's board, from my perspective

Please do feel free to find me a single other example of someone taking a lengthy post and randomly changing words in it so that people have to go over it with a fucking magnifying glass to find out what the hell the point of the post is actually supposed to be.
I meant Constantine's post and my reaction to that.
Quote from: Thad
You can hide behind the "high-context" label all you want, but any idiot can see you make your posts incomprehensible on purpose.
My brains and brawn...

If I posted similarly to Shinra using Obama in place of Biden and a few minor other alterations, you would all say I was being a closed-minded jackass.

There may be some validity in this claim.  Unfortunately, you then proceed to support it through the use of false equivalence.
Of course. There's no literal equivalence to the things Shinra said. They're that terribly closed-minded and ridiculous. Don't you agree? If yes, then my message was effective. If no, you're missing the forest for the trees every time I say anything (actually intentional, unlike my misuse of infer and imply, which I've never bothered to learn due to apathy)

Palin's record reveals her as someone with far-right social conservative views that should give a Libertarian-leaning Republican such as yourself pause -- she believes in abstinence-only sex education, (me too) teaching creationism in science class, (me too) banning books, (as do I) banning abortion even for victims of rape and incest, (four out of five ain't bad) belongs to a church that "cures" gays, (she'll never succeed in turning back that tide, so i'm not scared of her views on this issue) and, as Noro noted in the post Shinra quoted Brent quoting, made rape victims pay for their own forensic tests. (so you're absolutely sure she's evil and intended to force said victims to relive their rape by forcing them to pay (rather than society) for their own medical bills?)

Inferring racism or anti-semitism from extreme social conservatism may not be PC (see what I did there?), but these things often go hand-in-hand. (so you're justifying bigotry...?) I certainly think her sneer every time she said "community organizer" in her speech was about more than a job title -- I would argue it's more about class than race, but those are also two things that often go hand-in-hand. (none of this is substantiated or relevant in my mind)

As for the part about the McCain campaign keeping Palin away from the press out of concern that she'd make a gaffe?  As TA noted at the top of page 12, that's not conjecture, that's pretty much exactly right. (when it comes to politics, the system is flawed and dirty... you think the obama camp isn't doing similar "cardboard between the lettuce" type things with their own campaign?)

I'm willing to acknowledge that Shinra indulged in some exaggerations and some conjecture.  But the way you've gone about criticizing him for it -- a hard-to-read post followed by clarification by way of false comparison -- doesn't help your case.

too lazy to quote out everything, sorry

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 12, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »

she believes in abstinence-only sex education,
(me too)
teaching creationism in science class,
(me too)
banning books,
(as do I)
banning abortion even for victims of rape and incest,
(four out of five ain't bad)
belongs to a church that "cures" gays,
(she'll never succeed in turning back that tide, so i'm not scared of her views on this issue)
and, as Noro noted in the post Shinra quoted Brent quoting, made rape victims pay for their own forensic tests.
(so you're absolutely sure she's evil and intended to force said victims to relive their rape by forcing them to pay (rather than society) for their own medical bills?)

Now that that's cleared up, I think you've picked the perfect candidate to support.

That said, you should probably create some book banning or abortion threads, because I'd love to hear your arguments on those.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 12, 2008, 09:18:58 PM »

If you're not willing to give that she's capable of thinking and saying something racist, Guild, I'd say you're fucking kidding yourself.

Read that again, Shinra, and tell me why it's insipid.

Or you can cheat and read below:

There is a person you do not know. Do you A) Assume they are a serial killer/pedophile/racist/cultist/blood-drinker and go around shouting such, or do you B) Find out first if they are a serial killer/pedophile/racist/cultist/blood-drinker and THEN go around shouting such?

Well, considering she's a fucking nobody with 0 political history outside of being the bad mayor of a ramshackle village and publically speaking at some alaskan secessionist rallies, it's really hard to make an educated judgement on what her personal and political views are. Which is all the more reason she shouldn't be VP.

And, as for the racist thing, I have the same source on Palin that the rest of the world, republicans included, do, and that's her former aides and staffers. And the general consensus is that she's a slightly racist, religiously intolerant whacko nutjob. Considering that there's not a lot of sources outside of that, and most of the visible right wing is exactly like that, well, that's the narrative I'm choosing to believe until she proves me wrong.

btw

THE NORTHWEST WILL RISE AGAIN

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION, ALASKA FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOM

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #263 on: September 12, 2008, 10:53:59 PM »

Guild,

In addition to all the splits Det made, I am going to say that -- speaking of deliberately making your posts a pain in the ass to read -- the next time you use tiny text I AM going to kick you off the board again.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2008, 11:50:07 AM »

So, all this nonsense aside.

It seems Palin is actually giving McCain a rise in the polls. God help you poor bastards.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2008, 12:22:56 PM »

Again, she's still got the novelty factor, and we're only one week out of the Republican Convention.

And the problems with polls, while I believe we've already discussed them, deserve some elaboration again:
1. Pollsters don't call cell phones.
2. National polls don't represent the electoral map.  We don't have a national election, we have fifty state elections and one city one (DC).  Obama's up in the electoral polls.

And of course we've still got six weeks, three Presidential debates, and one VP debate to go.  A lot can happen in that timeframe.

Which is no reason to get complacent.  There's no damn reason McCain/Palin should be doing as well as they are, even if those numbers don't tell the whole story.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 13, 2008, 12:26:16 PM »

I know that novelty, etc. is a factor, but...

There's no damn reason McCain/Palin should be doing as well as they are, even if those numbers don't tell the whole story.

This.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 13, 2008, 02:07:14 PM »

I'm afraid that there is a reason for McCain to be doing so well, and it is that the election hinges on the votes of people too stupid or malicious to have voted the right way in 2004; i.e. 50% of the population of the United States.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 13, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »

Actually, I was out shopping this afternoon and I had a thought: 

Sarah Palin is the magazine cover VP.

It's a masterstroke actually. Biden's not going to be on the cover of People or the Inquirer in any kind of complimentary way. Hell, even Obama and McCain won't really find themselves there much. This is brilliant, because the McCain campaign is touching people the Obama campaign hasn't got a hope in hell of reaching. It's a demographic that we'd all love to pretend doesn't exist, but it's huge - and getting bigger every day.

I practically live and die by Hanlon's Razor, but perhaps the choice isn't half so stupid as we think - it may just be something far more insidious.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 13, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »

:MENDOZAAAAA: ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Metal Slime

• Worth the experience.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 13, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »

It's a masterstroke actually. Biden's not going to be on the cover of People or the Inquirer in any kind of complimentary way. Hell, even Obama and McCain won't really find themselves there much. This is brilliant, because the McCain campaign is touching people the Obama campaign hasn't got a hope in hell of reaching. It's a demographic that we'd all love to pretend doesn't exist, but it's huge - and getting bigger every day.

I practically live and die by Hanlon's Razor, but perhaps the choice isn't half so stupid as we think - it may just be something far more insidious.

The High School Popularity Contest demographic? Because dems vs. reps is kinda like some grand scale nerds vs. jocks battle.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 13, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the 'Moron Demographic', but hey there's nothing wrong with being charitable to the disabled I suppose.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2008, 03:47:09 PM »

Not a stupid opinion, I've read editorials that basically say this exact thing.  Obama was the celebrity candidate, but now Palin is, and there's a shift in the polls to match.  Regardless, I think Obama still has a much greater lead than the media would like us to think (after all, a blowout election isn't a great story).
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2008, 07:39:14 PM »

:MENDOZAAAAA: ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Do you ever think that he gaffes on purpose, just to stick it to the people who are paying attention?  Because he knows they're the extreme minority.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 13, 2008, 08:57:38 PM »

If you had figured out the way idiots tick to such an extent that you could manipulate them as readily as he can, you'd be giggling and rubbing it in people's faces too.

Wait a minute.

:MENDOZAAAAA: GUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILDENNNNNNNNNNNNNNSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN!

Spaco

• LLC
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 13, 2008, 11:18:29 PM »

My theory is that it's working because Obama is now being compared to Palin instead of being compared to McCain. By picking an inexperienced candidate, McCain can step back and let the public fight over who is the least qualified of the two, thus reducing Obama to the level of vice-president. It also puts the thought of "Which would you rather have inexperienced: president or vice-president?" in their heads.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 18, 2008, 04:52:57 AM »

Turns out sarah palin had a yahoo email address she was conducting state business on.

Also turns out that 4chan found the address, hacked it and posted her emails on the intarwebs!

Is it just me or do the pictures really support the 'Sarah Palin pretended Trig was her baby to save face for her slutty daughter' theory?

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 18, 2008, 06:28:27 AM »

I think it's just you.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 18, 2008, 08:43:30 AM »

from what i hear, it wasn't so much "HACKED" as she had a really really really dumb "I FORGOT MY PASSWORD QUESTION"

her goddamn ZIP CODE.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 18, 2008, 08:48:46 AM »

SARAH PALIN

SMART ON SECURITY
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26