Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 50

Author Topic: It's the economy, stupid!  (Read 69260 times)

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: It's the economy, stupid!
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »

get out

edit: out, out you damn page break! :whoops:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2008, 12:45:17 PM »

The smoking junk heap that left me stranded here was a Chrysler.   :victory: karma!

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2008, 12:54:17 PM »

Note to those of you living in Michigan. Get out while you still can.

The creation of a second Flint doesn't mean the death of the entire state.  Though it does limit travel options if one is afraid of high crime rates and poverty.  (Flint is just as scary as Detroit, but less populated so there are fewer 'safe zones')

It's Michigan.  90% of the state is, essentially, Flint.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »

Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »

Sometimes I want to shoot myself for catching one of you guys' references.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2008, 04:16:25 AM »

I turn on the news this morning and hear that foreign economies are also taking a fucking shit, and that it could be considered "Black Friday".   ::(:

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2008, 04:50:19 AM »

I guess it's about time to admit that I have no idea what's going on.  The amounts of money being talked about are staggering; anything over a billion bucks is mentally inconceivable to me.  And since the only thing I've personally noticed is that gas prices are almost back to $3, I'm frankly not very concerned.  Though I'm afraid that I should be.  Though I'm positive I can't do anything to help.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2008, 05:31:25 AM »

I'm with Kazz. I understand what CAUSED this: Banks being retarded with who they loan their money to..
But could an Econ major step in and give us :derp: s a rundown of why the whole world seems to be shitting itself?

And what's up with the gas prices too.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2008, 05:54:34 AM »

It's a lot easier to not worry about this if you don't have a job or retirement fund.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »

And what's up with the gas prices too.

Gas prices are basically a form of speculation. As a good, it seems to be way more inelastic (i.e. consumption is influenced by price fairly little) in the short term than they seem to think. These people think that this financial breakdown is going to make people drive less unless gas is cheap. So they are pulling the prices down.

Then again, it could be election season :wank: going on.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2008, 07:36:03 AM »

I hear "SUBPRIME MORTGAGE CRISIS" and I'm like "OH NO, NOT THE JIBBIDY FIGGLES CRISIS"

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2008, 07:39:11 AM »

I prefer to describe it as the "everyone forgot that money was real and a bunch of rich people decided to rob everyone again thanks to republican fueled deregulation crisis".

That's how I run it down...
Though... I might... be... slightly spinning it.
Obama/Biden08!

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2008, 07:40:18 AM »

Idiot Questions Incoming!

1) Anybody else feel the mild urge to stockpile non-perishable goods and water?

2) Would it be better to bury my "savings" in my backyard in a jar, or to open a savings account?

Also, Election Gas Drops are a proud Bush tradition still going strong. Or perhaps it extends further, to other nervous robber baron parties.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »

IDIOT ANSWER VOLLEY RETURN! (prana method diagram)
perhaps it extends to other nervous robber baron parties.
:shrug: Who can say?

1) Yes, but that happens every other month. I am sure it will pass by november.

2) No. I don't think so. Burying your savings in the ground means you'll "lose money" as inflation goes up. On the other hand, putting your money in a bank that tanks means you could have no money, BUT! If enough banks tank we could go back to NOT HAVING MONEY </ridiculous doomsaying>

I mean, if you're really desperate to acquire some form of secure wealth to put your money into, you could go with ingots. As was mentioned before though, when dealing with wealth, money, and the establishment, you are supposed to take it on faith that it won't implode. :shrug: So this could be the exact wrong EKON 101 :hurr: type "advice".

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2008, 09:08:23 AM »

The thing about your retirement account is that as long as you don't plan to retire in the next ten years, you're probably fine.  Because this probably isn't The End Of The Stock Market As We Know It, in which case a decade down the line we'll most likely be back to the usual growth, in which case you won't so much have lost money as not gained as much as you'd have liked.  Which, yes, beats the buried jar approach.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »

This shit isn't going to affect you personally any time soon unless you happen to have more than $250,000 kicking around or are trying to get a loan *cough*.  The problem is that most of the people who make the Stuff You Want do, and it's going to start limiting the availability of Stuff You Want.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2008, 11:47:43 AM »

The problem is that most of the people who make the Stuff You Want do, and it's going to start limiting the availability of Stuff You Want.

This unfortunately includes jobs, if you happen to be on board the california cyber-gravy train.

In other words, guess who's unemployed!

IDIOT ANSWER VOLLEY RETURN! (prana method diagram)

... is that supposed to be an Exalted reference

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »

I am not in any way an economic expert, but if you have money invested in CDs (Certificate Deposits) that money is locked in at whatever interest rate you started at.  It's fine.  (Shame I didn't put more into mine.)

If you're new to CDs, they typically have a minimum deposit of $1000, or $2500, and accrue a low monthly interest.  The risk in these things are low, and the returns are almost always better than a savings account (I was getting about 6% a year or two ago).  You can GET to this money if you really need to, but typically the penalty is losing your interest gains + small fee.  Don't ever let them talk you into making short term loans against the fund unless your name is Brickton McMoneybucks.  If that is the case: first off - your name is awesome, second - why are you (or your personal website reading servant) reading this?

I highly advise people to look into reputable Credit Unions over banks.  They are still relatively safe for the time being from what I understand.  Feel free to step in and correct me if this is wrong.

EDIT: Now with Wiki
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 50