Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: Street Fighter 4.  (Read 44619 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Street Fighter 4.
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »

That's fine, but here is the problem.

This implementation of DRM is stupid as fuck and will
actually convince people to pirate the game.

If you're thinking about pirating SSF4 in the first place, then you're obviously not interested in going online.  You've already given up that point.  So the 1.85 million people who downloaded the previous game are basically only interested in the single player.  Now, assuming that the character lockout function will take less than a day to crack (because the character lockout function will take less than a day to crack), the potential pirate has a choice of two versions: the completely free one with all the features he or she is interested in, or the expensive one that tracks everything you do and may become severely crippled in the not inconceivable event that a major game network goes down for a month.

That's nearly two million people who may have grown a conscience and a pocketbook in the last couple years, but aren't going to bite in the end because nobody's going to pay extra for the privilege of getting less.  Good.  Job.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »

Of course Sven's point 4 addresses this, but realistically what we're accomplishing here is pissing a lot of people off to implement a feature that will have to be removed immediately and with some embarrassment.  Also the first pirate to crack this becomes a fucking hero.

Someday developers will learn that it's the execution and not the concept of DRM that they need to justify.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »

actually, considering that nobody still working at capcom knows any fucking thing about making worthwhile games, or even about good business, judging by how they've driven off all their worthwhile talent and lost billions on ill-planned real estate ventures, pissing off their fanbase with stupid DRM decisions is actually exactly what i would expect.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2011, 09:25:51 PM »

Hey Ono still works there for some reason.

Where the hell is Inafune anyway?  Last I heard he was gonna sail over here and staff a new studio with nothing but rock stars and strippers.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »

he actually formed two; Comcept and Intercept.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2011, 10:26:12 PM »

Cominter?  That makes no sense!

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2011, 12:53:49 AM »

Inafune is making the sequel to Hyperdimension Neptunia.

You know, that game about game consoles as busty teenagers?

Well, Inafune's making the one about handhelds as lolis.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »

he actually formed two; Comcept and Intercept.

Stupid mips. Am "N" is mot am "M".

Cominter?  That makes no sense!

It took me way too long to get it.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2011, 01:02:21 AM »

ITT the best joke Classic has ever made.

(please post more NoN play-through)

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2011, 04:49:26 AM »

Inafune's making the one about handhelds as lolis.

That explains a lot.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »

Who said anything about punishment? I get the impression that Sven is a reasonably intelligent guy forced to voice the company's view on combating piracy; if he wasn't, I doubt he would have presented option 4. Expecting Capcom to put out a game with no DRM at all is unreasonable and naive, though unfortunate.
Reverse strawman? This is not about Sven's unfortunate and unenviable job. This is about the practice that Capcom (and some others like Ubisoft) has adopted that is Stupid.

Look at the way the PC development team looked at it; if you're getting the game on a PC, 10 to 1 odds you are getting it to play by yourself online. Also, since you need broadband internet to play it, you'd probably be always connected anyway, since it is a computer. Again, before Street Fight 4 PC came out, did you ever tell your buddies, "Hey, come over to my place. We'll gather around my PC and play multiplayer games?" No. If you have people over for the explicit purpose of playing video games, you have a console and should probably get the game for that.
The Dev Team Does Not Care. It is an extra four lines of code on some game hooks to them. Arguing that a behavior has not historically existed and thus should be actively discouraged is dumb. Just because you cannot imagine this behavior does not mean others cannot, and your (not specifically you, a generic you) inability to encourage and take advantage of this behavior is your Own Damn Fault.

It's not a matter of snubbing the consumer. It's a matter of looking at the demographics and picking a reasonable option for a game that has to have anti-piracy protection of some sort because the bigwigs said so.
It is entirely a matter of snubbing the consumer as a result of corporate policy. If the corporate policy is hostile to its consumers, then it is bad policy. There is a reasonable option: Offer additional value as a result of your DRM (Steam model), not detract it (Ubisoft model).

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »

Also -- and I really can't stress this enough:

DRM DOESN'T FUCKING WORK.

If there is a way I can make this any simpler than everyone else in the thread has already made it, it is this:

I wanted to buy this game.
Now I don't.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2011, 01:42:23 AM »

And once again I think you're all a bunch of cry babies, particularly since the DRM in this case is something you'd have to use with the game in any case. This isn't Assassin's Creed 2 here, they let you finish the session before forcing you to reconnect, and it doesn't install anything third party a la SecuROM. Call the fucking freedom police.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2011, 01:45:25 AM »

Capcom's revenue sheet's going to cry a lot harder than I am, since I'll probably just be playing a cracked version and not caring.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2011, 04:08:33 AM »

Oh man, that tiny percentage of lost sales from savvy PC gamers that actually give a shit about minor DRM is really going to hurt them bad. Fight the power, man.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2011, 04:55:44 AM »

The problem is that they are gonna lose that tiny percentage, and the pirates will still pirate the game anyway, therefore DRMs only purpose seems to be to make them lose sales, tiny as they may be.

The offline thing matters to me because I've had people play games on my computer with me and I've had an unreliable internet connection, sometimes even both at the same time, and that's why a pirated copy would be better under those circumstances.

Also, may I remind you that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for PC didn't require an internet connection to be available all the time the way Assasin's Creed 2 did, so presumably that whole thing did affect their sales in a non-insignificant way.

Basically Bal you seem like a very reasonable person all the time, except when you're sucking the dick out of various DRM schemes for some reason.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2011, 05:12:23 AM »

savvy PC gamers that actually give a shit about minor DRM

the joke is that every single person on the planet who has every argued about gaming drm knows how to crack a game
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2011, 07:37:57 AM »

So does this mean no one is buying this anymore? Because if it does I think I hate you all.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2011, 07:42:56 AM »

I know I am, I have a few friends from the shoryuken forums and real life that are gonna get it so theres always going to be an active room.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2011, 08:05:01 AM »

So does this mean no one is buying this anymore? Because if it does I think I hate you all.
Nope, it means I'm buying the PS3 version because they've clearly established that the console versions are better.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 30