Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

There can only be one

Final Fantasy VI
- 13 (35.1%)
Chrono Trigger
- 24 (64.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS  (Read 32799 times)

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger DS
« Reply #320 on: November 25, 2008, 12:57:46 PM »

I've never been a fan of touchscreen controls for movement of a character that isn't displayed on the touchscreen.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 25, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »

I just picked it up from Gamestop.  A premium for pre-ordering the game was a 2-track CD orchestration of Chrono's Theme and a Medley of a bunch of other tracks from the game. 
I am pumped. :wuv:
First run copies of the game come with a mini-poster that is completely innacurate (Marle casting a fire spell in the snowy mountainous area.)  Looking at it, I notice a couple more things about it that I didn't notice the last time I looked at this artwork.  I realize that Crono is vaulting off of Frog's back to get more leverage in to his swing.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 25, 2008, 03:20:09 PM »

I just picked it up from Gamestop.  A premium for pre-ordering the game was a 2-track CD orchestration of Chrono's Theme and a Medley of a bunch of other tracks from the game. 
I am pumped. :wuv:
First run copies of the game come with a mini-poster that is completely innacurate (Marle casting a fire spell in the snowy mountainous area.)  Looking at it, I notice a couple more things about it that I didn't notice the last time I looked at this artwork.  I realize that Crono is vaulting off of Frog's back to get more leverage in to his swing.

A) Gimme those MP3s
B) It's a carbon copy of the poster that was in the SNES version.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 25, 2008, 05:55:27 PM »

It's actually in my car at the moment.  I'll bring it inside tomorrow.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 25, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »

Th-that's Lucca? Isn't it?

I'll check it when I get home, I have that motherfucker framed.

omigoddidijustconfesstothat?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 25, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »

A) Gimme those MP3s
B) It's a carbon copy of the poster that was in the SNES version.

And the box art.  And the cartridge art.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 25, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »

I've been seeing people complaining about the new translations. Is it really that different than the original? The few new lines I've noticed make more sense the the original. Other than that, I think it is just as good as the original. Then again, I can't recite the text word for word like some people on the internet probably can.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 25, 2008, 09:36:03 PM »

Th-that's Lucca? Isn't it?

I'll check it when I get home, I have that motherfucker framed.

omigoddidijustconfesstothat?

Oh Classic...

Oh Classic...

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 25, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »

GIVE ME THOSE FUCKING MP3s OFF THE CD

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 25, 2008, 09:45:05 PM »

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 25, 2008, 09:50:22 PM »

I didn't know they touched the translation at all.

And didn't they include some kind of switch-back-and-forth option?

The old translation was fine, but it did apparently muddle a few parts and I'd be just as cool with a new go at it as I assume it'd be pretty hard to foul up.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2008, 09:51:41 PM »

I've been seeing people complaining about the new translations. Is it really that different than the original? The few new lines I've noticed make more sense the the original. Other than that, I think it is just as good as the original. Then again, I can't recite the text word for word like some people on the internet probably can.

It reads much better, but isn't drastically different. Lot's of FIENDLORD hate, but whatever; the only line I miss has to do with tone deaf, evil fiends.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2008, 09:56:36 PM »

Options to turn the touchscreen and movies off are keen, but now I'm hearing that the translation can be switched? And that Frog no longer speaks in ye olde?

completely innacurate (Marle casting a fire spell

:mahboi: That's the Triple Tech, Arc Impulse.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 25, 2008, 10:07:58 PM »

Two seconds on /rs/

While Wiking 'Howard Phillips' to do a fancy "Thank you Mr [Insert Howard Phillips reference here], I discovered this:

Quote from: Wikipedia
The 2nd and 3rd pages of Nintendo power's 20th anniversary issue features a grown up Nester and his unnamed son, a Nester's Funky Bowling reference and even a version of the issue itself. Nester even makes a reference to his old pal Howard as well; after his son tells him a little strategy to use in Mario Kart Wii, Nester checks his son's neck to make sure he doesn't "see a bowtie" (Howard's most identifiable piece of clothing).

That's incredibly awesome.  :smile:

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 25, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »

There was one easily-skippable line that was very slightly changed, and it's the only one that slightly bothers me, just because I liked the way that Woosley's line sounded (even though it's the same idea and everything, his sentence just sounded nicer to me).

"This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time" (old) versus "Time no longer appears to flow for this construct".

What I'm getting at is, the new translation is nice and I've not no real problems with it. I like how the Middle Ages people all seem to speak similarly, which makes a lot more sense than Frog's unique accent.

I think I'm near the end of the new fetch quest dungeons (I haven't unlocked the postgame dungeons yet) and it's finally reached the point of annoyance - you really do have to run up and down the same long, multi-screen area a dozen times. Luckily, there are only three battles (six, round-trip) that you can't skip, but after awhile it just gets silly.

Options to turn the touchscreen and movies off are keen, but now I'm hearing that the translation can be switched?

Even with the DS mode turned on, the touchscreen stuff is 100% optional. I prefer it because it clears up the top screen and keeps all the HP/MP values and menus on the bottom screen.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #335 on: November 25, 2008, 10:13:59 PM »

I've said it before, but FF6A's script is an excellent example of a new localization that retains the flavor of the old while expanding its detail.  I expect no less of CT.

Interesting to hear Frog's been rewritten; my understanding is he was actually kinda crass in the original Japanese and I'd get a kick out of seeing a different take on him.  (Again, assuming it's done well and not a slavishly literal, RPGOne-FF6-style affair.)

...For those who haven't bothered reading the current KateStory, I've been having some fun writing Frog's dialogue in actual iambic pentameter (inspired by the Demon in Alan Moore's Swamp Thing).

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 26, 2008, 02:48:48 AM »

I got to 2300 AD before crashing last night, and I'm totally digging the new localization.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2008, 03:33:12 AM »

"This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time" (old) versus "Time no longer appears to flow for this construct".

Wow. That more than slightly annoys me. The new line almost completely sterilizes a very well done scene.

(To this day that music remains my favorite "sad" theme from any videogame.)

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 26, 2008, 10:28:48 AM »

The old translation was fine, but it did apparently muddle a few parts and I'd be just as cool with a new go at it as I assume it'd be pretty hard to foul up.

I've played the original recently enough to notice little things about the Middle Ages, at least, such as the Chancellor enacting stricter laws for kidnapping royalty. That explains Crono's trial a bit, and I don't recall a "not guilty" Crono being snuck into death row in the original, either.

That said, I assume the new dungeons have no dialogue at all, because otherwise the "original" translation would be outdated after a point. See also: Arena of the Ages, though that's minor and completely optional, anyway. I would think the new dungeons fit into the story somehow.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:47 AM »

The Chancellor was always a dick. No matter what, you are scheduled to get executed in three days.

The new dungeons have quite a bit of dialogue. Nothing important, but each character has reactions to what's happening, and they talk in their regular style, or at least from what I noticed. I was using Magus/Frog/Ayla. The optional dungeon that you can access first doesn't have any real plot, but the second one does. Very little from what I have played through so far, but some.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24