Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 14800 times)

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2013, 12:44:10 PM »

you have got to be fucking shitting me

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »

X Horsebutt Majoris I a at 114 -9 is The Land of Brains and Shrooms.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »

Inhabited by mushroom people, even. Probably the first sapient non-player race I've found, other than those frog merchants. Also, they look like walking cocks.

This is also the planet where I found the Beautiful Brostabber and the Badass Dudepumper, so yeah, gayest planet in the universe.

There needs to be a sidequest where you can "forget" a stardrive on the planet and uplift these guys so they can go flying around the universe in giant turgid mushrooms with cerebral scrotal sacks. With a tiny set of trucknuts hanging off the back just for the sake of redundancy.

We already have stone age, Egyptian, medieval, Asian, modern, ultra modern, and (eventually) Wild West themed races. These guys could totally be the contemporary rednecks. Mushroom guys flying around in off-road space dicks with a Confedarate battle flag painted on the side. I'll just leave a bunch of right wing literature in a box over here...

... maybe I am the universe's greatest monster.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »

Sure, but I can't speak for the dozens of fire-breathing spider things I'm summoning all over fuck.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »

Floran sship is sssword!

Is sstuck in ssomething...

Floran is okay with it.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »

ffffff i may have to steal that.  What mod do you use for the ship space?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2014, 05:02:12 AM »

For the sake of convenience I just used the shipfile linked in this thread: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/ship-expansion-just-make-it-completely-custom.58957/page-2

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2014, 10:08:28 AM »

Also, I left a bunch of twink gear lying around the spawn on the first planet you start off orbiting. I'm working this weekend but I'll be screwing around on the server this afternoon/evening.

Angryoptimist

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2014, 06:13:38 PM »

Still not really finished.  For one thing, I still need to furnish it.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2014, 01:45:17 AM »

The only option is to put a bunch of minibosses in there then sit at the top and wait for adventures to challenge you to the death.

Angryoptimist

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2014, 03:39:05 AM »

There needs to be some way to put meat in the walls.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2014, 03:41:20 AM »

You can make walls of meat.
Is that close enough?

Also I visited a desert planet where I stumbled onto a succession of paranoid glitch kings.

I have a new blue-rank crown!

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2014, 08:07:38 AM »

Is the server down again?

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »

Yes it was!

There were some issues with the open server set-up, so now it's passworded. The password is the standard that I rather not post on the board that also has the server address because that would kind of defeat the purpose.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2014, 05:01:03 PM »

Jesus tittyfucking Christ, Angry. You're certifiable, you know that? And this is coming from me after I've built something like my fifth skull castle. I guess I should be thankful. You've effectively raised the bar enough that I can finally stop trying.

Also, I love that we've been using the same password for everything for something like fifteen years. I didn't even have to check the thread.

Angryoptimist

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2014, 05:59:34 AM »

Jesus tittyfucking Christ, Angry. You're certifiable, you know that?

I probably am, but maybe not as certifiable as you imagine.

And this is coming from me after I've built something like my fifth skull castle. I guess I should be thankful. You've effectively raised the bar enough that I can finally stop trying.

Maybe don't thank me so quickly, depending on how legitimate you like your game.

I've looked into it, and you can apparently build (out of blocks) a ship entirely with modding.  This entails writing a JSON file linking materials+objects to colors, and then drawing a PNG with all the blocks you want.  Problem is, if you want, say, objects in front of walls or materials stacked on different materials, that has to be a different color.  If you're making something that isn't terribly simple, you'd imagine it'd get pretty tedious to specify colors for all the material+material and material+object combinations, let alone actually writing each one up in JSON.

Suppose, instead, that you wrote one text file (specifying all the uncombined colors) and drew two PNGs.  What my code currently does, is it reads in these three files and produces an alpha-blended PNG and new JSON with all those tedious combinations automatically generated.  Then, you just drop those two files into a ship mod in the appropriate place(s).

This is actually how I made my big castle ship.  It's not a tedium-free workflow--there's still a lot of business about choosing (base) colors and designing the thing, along with general image bookkeeping (I pretty much had to use GIMP's layer groups to keep it all straight)--but it's much less tedious than the alternatives for something of this size. 

Also:  in my defense, I'd been hearing about an imminent wipe (which appears, now, to not be so imminent as I thought) and did actually do a fair bit of work on it legitimately before changing method.

The code's available, if anyone wants it, though I warn that it's not in a very usable state.  Oh, it works--that's not the problem.  The problem is that it doesn't have an interface yet; currently, to use it you'd import my code as a module in a Python interpreter and call the functions manually.  This is fine for me, but I gather that real actual people tend to want some kind of UI.  I'd planned to grow it into a proper script (with nice arguments, usage, --help, and everything) to be run from a proper shell, but since Windows users don't really have one I get that most people would probably want a GUI.

I'm usually allergic to writing GUI code, but I'll do it if anyone here wants to use this (I could probably use the refresher, and I've been meaning to work with Qt anyway).  If anyone just wants what I've written, I'll be happy to hand it over with something permissive slapped on it--after a hurried clean-up, in a vain attempt to look like a better programmer than I am.

Also, I love that we've been using the same password for everything for something like fifteen years. I didn't even have to check the thread.

Only password I knew was for the old Lust forum, which it appears not to be.

I'd appreciate it if someone could PM it to me, if you'll tolerate a filthy cheater such as myself among you.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2014, 06:03:56 AM »

... I think that is the same password.

Angryoptimist

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2014, 06:51:44 AM »

I mean, with no account name in.  Isn't the user-account feature still not implemented?

Tried a couple more variations... maybe I just don't remember it as well as I think I do?

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »

Yeah, account name is blank, same old password I just privated. If that ain't working...

:shrug:

caps lock?

And no worries about cheating. I've been duping shit since the last wipe just on account of already feeling like I earned it, though I've still started a couple new guys to run through from the start if someone else is playing and wiping them if they die as a sort of poor-man's hardcore.

Also, pretty sure I crashed the server last time, though I don't rightly know how. Was just sort of flying around and my ship got hung up in no-space. Never arrived anywhere, no planet, and captain's chair crashed the client. Same for all characters. It was like that for about an hour and then the server stopped responding. This thing does leak memory like a motherfucker, though, and worldfiles can get big-ish if people explore a lot of planets, and I'd been coasting around at random planting tents and flags on everything for the hell of it.

Also also, I'm resoundingly impressed with that editor thing you've put together. Admittedly, I'd be more about it with a GUI, as I imagine a lot of people would be. I'm lazy in my old age. Still, I might try fucking around with what you've already set up.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »

There are probably some folk around who'd be less averse to coding a quick and nasty UI.  Try Bongo or maybe Thad if he's bored.

... I've got enough shit to do right now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9