Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 210

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 281988 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #320 on: June 23, 2008, 07:22:30 AM »

We're not really making fun of people for playing rhythm games so much as we're making fun of rhythm game makers desperate to one up each other.

Harmonix is desperate to one-up... itself?

:wat:
:facepalm:

Neversoft makes Guitar Hero, Harmonix makes Rock Band, and even Konami is producing a band game.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 23, 2008, 07:24:48 AM »

I'm not making judgments on the final product. Sonic has burned me too many times for that. I'm just commenting that that's the first enjoyable thing I've seen from the franchise in about a decade, and felt very similar to the more frenetic parts of, say, Sonic 2.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #322 on: June 23, 2008, 07:35:51 AM »

It better have some kind of magical space/pinball zone if it wants to come anywhere near that level of fun.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 23, 2008, 10:17:14 AM »

The quick time events made me cautious, but the parts where you were obviously locked into three lanes are what broke the deal for me.  I'm very much hoping that the entire game isn't just a long string of minigames.

..oh wait, that IS what Sonic games are now, isn't it?  Fuck.

The stupid thing is that with a huge environment like that you could have very easily taken the rodent off the rails and turned it into some sort of speed-demon GTA.  Just let the player wander around the world doing stuff, only make it VERY VERY FAST, which would solve the problem of most other open environment games in that you generally move VERY VERY SLOW.  Pity.

...I just realized: Are they seriously so unaware of irony that they're calling this game "Sonic Unleashed"?

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 23, 2008, 10:32:56 AM »

I don't think you guys remember what playing the 16-bit Sonic games was actually like.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2008, 10:36:24 AM »

I remember what they SHOULD have been like, and as far as I can tell, Sonic has been one-upped by a dinosaur.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2008, 10:39:07 AM »

I don't think you guys remember what playing the 16-bit Sonic games was actually like.

Huge levels with multiple paths through each and little secrets all over the place that you could stop and pick up?

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2008, 10:42:31 AM »

I didn't do that too much. I was thinking more the achieve maximum possible speed and hit A to avoid spikes occasionally.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #328 on: June 23, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »

You're right, because I had gotten Vectorman not too long after my Genesis w/ Sonic.  Why don't they modernize him!

:sadpanda:

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #329 on: June 23, 2008, 11:14:04 AM »

I didn't do that too much. I was thinking more the achieve maximum possible speed and hit A to avoid spikes occasionally.

...You should probably try playing them again.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 23, 2008, 11:35:04 AM »

You're right, because I had gotten Vectorman not too long after my Genesis w/ Sonic.  Why don't they modernize him!

:sadpanda:

Don't ask

...You should probably try playing them again.

Those are the memories I associate most with the series. I'm oversimplifying, but I always remember the times I went so fast Sonic left the screen before I remember any of the exploration or platforming. That is why the trailer made me happy, and because it was such a remarkable contrast to all the choking on bile I've done for the last ten years of Sonic games.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #331 on: June 23, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »

Choking on bile..  Somehow that makes me vaguely recall Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 23, 2008, 01:10:45 PM »

Neversoft makes Guitar Hero, Harmonix makes Rock Band, and even Konami is producing a band game.

Harmonix is best known as the developer of Rock Band as well as the original developer of the Guitar Hero series up until Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, which Neversoft developed, along with future Guitar Hero titles.

oh my bad I was just thinking of three quarters of the series

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 23, 2008, 01:36:12 PM »

Just let the player wander around the world doing stuff, only make it VERY VERY FAST, which would solve the problem of most other open environment games in that you generally move VERY VERY SLOW.

That would involve populating the areas with more than bots to be 'stroyed, and I haven't enough faith in them to make the walls bouncy so dead-stopping isn't rampant.

Huge levels with multiple paths through each and little secrets all over the place that you could stop and pick up?

Stop?

STOP!?!?

gb2 /sth1/

This game will rule all! The music is peppy, the graphix are totally 300-bit, and

QUICK TIME EVENT

FFFUUUCK.

Holding out to see what happens when you miss a command. Hopefully you just... Slow down a bit. Instead of stopping dead or getting stabbed by Krauser.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 23, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »

oh my bad I was just thinking of three quarters of the series

Yes.  You were thinking of the series up until Harmonix got canned, at which point they said "fuck you guys" and made Rock Band, and the Guitar Hero game got passed to some idiots who shat all over the difficulty curve in 3, and are now just ripping ideas from the original devteam.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 23, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

sooooooo i'm right?

i'm done here i don't even like guitar hero

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 23, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 23, 2008, 03:04:47 PM »

I can't believe that i'm actually in the position of hoping that Sega continues to neglect their best franchises indefinitely so as not to insult their legacy of great gaming.

::(:

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #338 on: June 23, 2008, 05:03:13 PM »

sooooooo i'm right?

In the same way that -- hey, check this out, I'm going to tie the two conversations together -- you would be "right" if you kept talking about mid-1990's Sonic games as if they were the current status quo.  And then acted stubborn and condescending when someone pointed out that your information was facepalmingly out-of-date.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 23, 2008, 05:45:11 PM »

Am I wrong in thinking that Harmonix was hired to compete with its own game license?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 210