Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 281995 times)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #2460 on: September 20, 2010, 11:04:20 PM »

The nips have a short quip that they use to dismiss western games. HUH!

That... that pisses me off.

You might be right, but reading that quip decrying 2/3rds of the world's software developers as shitty, I think if you try to tell the Japanese that the west is embracing Japanese designs they're just as likely to ignore it because... It's a shitty western game with nothing new!

And they're apparently a population that, as a whole, wants the safe and familiar.

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: September 21, 2010, 01:31:52 AM »

lol japan

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: September 21, 2010, 05:27:55 AM »

Japan displays vague smug xenophobia and disdain for outside influences?

This is my surprised face.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: September 21, 2010, 06:26:40 AM »

"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: September 21, 2010, 10:52:57 AM »

God yes.

Tell me who I have to get fondled by to make this not be a hoax.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: September 21, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »

Awaiting Thor's "Videogame Lookalikes" comparing this guy to David Bowie.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2466 on: September 21, 2010, 04:51:07 PM »

So there's a Mario All-Stars port coming.  That's apparently just Mario All-Stars.  Which sorta misses the entire point of Mario All-Stars, which was that it wasn't a lazy port with dated graphics and sound.

Oh, and they want $30 for it.

Fuckers.  I'd have totally bought it if they actually displayed some sense of give-a-fuck.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: September 21, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »

God yes.

Tell me who I have to get fondled by to make this not be a hoax.

Even if it is, you still have Leanan gaems
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: September 21, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »

So there's a Mario All-Stars port coming.  That's apparently just Mario All-Stars.  Which sorta misses the entire point of Mario All-Stars, which was that it wasn't a lazy port with dated graphics and sound.

Oh, and they want $30 for it.

Fuckers.  I'd have totally bought it if they actually displayed some sense of give-a-fuck.

According to Parish this is one of those Japanese anniversary collection editions where it's far more about the package than the contents.  Nice graphic design, extra books and doodads, etc.

If you just want to play all the Mario games on your Wii it's ... well okay it's $5 for Mario 1, $6 for Lost Levels, $5 for Mario 2, $5 for Mario 3, $8 for Super Mario World (which I haven't actually seen if it's part of the re-release officially or not yet). So it's $21 or $28 dollars for just the games straight up, or $30 for all of them with the spiffied up graphics, a book, and a CD.

Yeah, that's worse than them just releasing All-Stars as an SNES download for $8, but there was never really any chance they were going to do that anyway.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »

I would pay $60 for a Wii Disc that had every Mario game from Mario Bros Arcade up to Mario 64.

To clarify, this is my unicorn:
Mario Bros (Arcade)
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2
Mario Paint
Mario is Missing
Mario's Time Machine
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land 3
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario 64

Bonus Points for:
Any game where Mario cameo'd but did not have a starring role
Mario Teaches Typing 2
"Mario Teaches Typing 2": Mario's Head & Cutscenes: Part 1

:imagination:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: September 21, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »

Quote from: Event Hubs
It doesn't look like this is going to be happening. In a 4gamer interview today, series producer Yoshinori Ono said that, due to high piracy with the PC version of the original Street Fighter IV, there are currently no plans for a PC version of Super.

The PC version of the original was actually a strong seller worldwide, said Ono. However, it was also "number one in piracy."

Ono actually managed to look on the bright side of the piracy issue, saying that at least the game saw wider spread because of it. However, for the sake of protecting the Street Fighter IV IP, they cannot make it so that Street Fighter is considered "free" in certain areas.

Ono didn't totally rule out a PC release. If they were to find some sort of powerful copy protection solution, the PC version's status could change, he said. He explained that the arcade version already runs on Taito's DirectX-based Type X2 arcade board, so a PC version is already 99% ready.

He did, however, rule out the possibility of a Steam-only release, saying that it would be unfair to those who are unable to buy via Steam.

:lol:

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: September 21, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »

That's a startlingly honest look into the brain of a developer and publisher.  It's not about whether it sells well at all, it's about stopping piracy.  The idea that someone, somewhere, somehow, might play the game without paying is so offensive that no amount of sales can cover it up.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: September 21, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »

The thing is that the arcade version already runs on a PC for all intents and purposes, if they don't actually release an official PC version people will just figure out how to run the arcade one on their computers anyway.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: September 21, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »

And then he goes and rules out the most effective solution to his imagined problem.  If I hadn't just gotten a PS3 a couple months ago I'd be livid that the console-only release was unfair to people who didn't have consoles.  Now I'm just, you know, EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

The way the article is worded seems to imply that Japanese IP law prohibits opening yourself up to piracy, which would actually explain a lot of the Japanese game development community's decisions.  Alternately you can argue that the strong PC sales are offset by estimated console losses, but he didn't.

Really honestly though I don't think the whole picture is being painted here.  Capcom and Apple seem to have kind of a thing going - if they're going to keep that up they're probably going to want to have a Mac version set up before they put something on its rival platform (X-Box is not really a rival platform).

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: September 22, 2010, 01:36:05 AM »

They have a version of SF4 for like iPhones or iPads or whatever, but they did mention from the very beginning that the engine used for SF4 was very portable and pretty scalable both upwards and downwards.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: September 22, 2010, 02:14:12 AM »

Keiji Inafune sez, Japanese game makers five years behind

If I remember correctly from when I listened to the Bionic Commando dev podcasts, Inafune got doors to open for the American guys at Capcom Japan to get the recent BC games made. Regardless of the success of the venture, it kinda shows that this has been in his thoughts for a while now. It's a shame it didn't entirely work out.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: September 22, 2010, 03:02:07 AM »

I think Bionic Commando Next Gen would have done much better if it was done tongue-in-cheek, like Metal Wolf Chaos.  Absolutely no way is MWC serious, and if Bionic Commando's plot and dialog were like that, then I think it would have done much better.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: September 22, 2010, 04:20:46 AM »

Bionic Commando would've done better if it had, you know, an ending.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: September 22, 2010, 04:34:07 AM »

Bionic Commando would've done better if it had, you know, an ending.

no, pretty sure it wouldn't have.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: September 22, 2010, 05:27:03 AM »

Old Dante isn't cool anymore! Try New Dante, with New Hat!

this guy's head must be bigger than the building he works in