Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 281988 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #2840 on: May 18, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »

To file in the "Gamestop et al are a big fat leech on the nuts of the gaming industry" drawer: Fable III dev sez used game sales are worse than piracy.

"Piracy these days on PC is probably less problematic than secondhand sales on the [Xbox 360]," West told the website. "I've been working on PC games for many years, and piracy is always a problem. There are a lot of honest people out there as well, and if they like your game, they'll buy it."

Lionhead released the PC version of Fable III yesterday in North America. West told the site any sales of the game will be seen as a "bonus," as the original Xbox 360 edition of the game covered its development costs with sales in the millions.

"For us, it's probably a no lose even with piracy as it is," West said. "But, as I say, secondhand sales cost us more in the long run than piracy these days."

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: May 18, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »

Maybe if they didn't charge $120 for a new game, the secondhand market wouldn't be going so well!

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: May 18, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »

Maybe if Australia's government wasn't totally insane about video games, they'd cost about $60 new.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: May 18, 2011, 04:54:46 PM »

I wouldn't celebrate too much about that sentiment.  He's basically saying that, given the choice between crushing the rights of honest consumers and stopping thieves, he'd go after the consumers first.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: May 18, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »

i think it's more like he's saying that in spite of what they might think, people who buy games secondhand from retailers are secretly not honest consumers.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2845 on: May 18, 2011, 08:47:10 PM »

The "used game sales hurt new game sales" argument is reductivist nonsense.

You know those people who are playing games and then selling them?  How many of them do you think would still be buying mediocre games at full price if they knew they wouldn't be able to resell them?

And those people who are buying games used?  How many of THEM do you think would pay full price if there were no used games on the shelf?

Of course, you could read this another way, to mean that piracy's not as big a problem as it's made out to be.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: May 19, 2011, 02:39:16 AM »

The most important line is the one about XBox sales covering the PC even with rampant piracy etc. Fact is, neither secondhand sales nor piracy are doing a whole Hell of a lot to hurt the game industry (or, at the very least, they aren't hurting Fable III's producers).

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: May 22, 2011, 10:13:50 PM »

This isn't game news, but today I got to play sixteen-player Mario Kart: Double Dash with eight TVs/GameCubes in the same room. The way it was meant to be played!

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »

So a guy told me today that the makers of Witcher 2 leaked a special, 'marked' version of their game to several torrent sites before the game came out, then sent a bill for $60 to anyone who downloaded it. I guess that's game news insofar as it's a new tactic (to my ears). Bloody brilliant if true.

I've tried to explain to people that piracy is NOT a huge issue and they mostly give me deer-headlight glares of 'you're crazy.' If enough stuff like this happens, though, I can't see piracy remaining AS popular for long. Assuming it's even an enforceable action.
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: May 22, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »

This isn't game news, but today I got to play sixteen-player Mario Kart: Double Dash with eight TVs/GameCubes in the same room. The way it was meant to be played!

Remember when we were kids and had Nintendo parties? Imagine if the internet had been more of a thing back then. We'd have had ... slightly bigger Nintendo parties. Probably exactly like you did there. Ah, to be young again!

OH SHIT DID I JUST SAY THAT FUCKING SHIT!?!
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2850 on: May 23, 2011, 04:13:43 AM »

So a guy told me today that the makers of Witcher 2 leaked a special, 'marked' version of their game to several torrent sites before the game came out, then sent a bill for $60 to anyone who downloaded it. I guess that's game news insofar as it's a new tactic (to my ears). Bloody brilliant if true.

I've tried to explain to people that piracy is NOT a huge issue and they mostly give me deer-headlight glares of 'you're crazy.' If enough stuff like this happens, though, I can't see piracy remaining AS popular for long. Assuming it's even an enforceable action.

It's a one-trick pony though. Either savvy folks will figure out how to find the markers, OR they'll just stick to cracking open regular production copies.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: May 23, 2011, 08:26:08 AM »

It's a one-trick pony though. Either savvy folks will figure out how to find the markers, OR they'll just stick to cracking open regular production copies.

How is joe schmoe going to know which downloads are safe? I guess by download ratings, but those can be faked, right? Torrent sites sometimes take money to remove torrents, maybe they'll start taking money to add BAD ones? This has a few iterations left to play out, I think.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2852 on: May 23, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »

How is joe schmoe going to know which downloads are safe?

Well, if the executable itself is altered, that can be determined with a checksum.

If, on the other hand, it's just a matter of someone at CDProjekt seeding a torrent and IP-checking everyone who grabbed it, well...it's still early days for anonymous torrenting, but it'll become a lot more common as stuff like this becomes more common.

But BT is far from the only way to download files.  Encrypted Usenet servers are easy to find; they cost money and it's a little more complicated than BT, but that route's open to savvier pirates.

None of which is to say I don't love the idea of just sending bills to people.  But it's already been established that IP addresses are not legally binding forms of identification (in this country, at least), and it's not a long-term technical solution for the reasons outlined above.  Given CDProjekt's track record, I'm confident they know all this and are doing this simply to make a point.  And as points go, it's a perfectly good one.

(Tangentially: Back in the golden period of EC Comics, they ripped off a Bradbury story.  Bradbury sent them a letter politely explaining that they must have forgotten to send him his check for the rights; Gaines cut him a check and Bradbury has been a staunch supporter of the old EC stuff ever since.)

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: May 31, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »

Bastion: hand drawn, diablo-like, narrated. So looking forward to this game.

Gameplay:
Bastion - Gameplay Trailer

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: June 01, 2011, 04:01:31 PM »

Beat Hazard Ultra: Teaser Trailer

:jizz:

Speaking from the point of view of a guy who's got a lifetime total of over seven hundred million points on the original, I gotta say June 27th can't come soon enough. I mean, outside of the music gimmick, Beat Hazard is about as bare-bones as they come. But since I loved it anyway I can hardly wait to see how it plays with new weapons and enemies.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: June 06, 2011, 08:13:17 AM »

Dead Island E3 Exclusive 2011 Trailer [HD]

Dead Island is looking really damn fun. Seems like there's going to be a good mix of tragedy and catharsis going on.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: June 06, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: June 06, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »

Hey, is it that thing we kept talking about when we were playing Reach where they should remake Halo 1 using the Halo Reach engine?
[clip of the assassination]
Hey look it is

:imagination:

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: June 06, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »

Goddamn, Skyrim is looking pretty sweet.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Gameplay

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: June 06, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »

Now that there are super OP shouts I hope they make it so you have to stick to a specialization and can't just be king shit of maxstats.