Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 282022 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #3160 on: November 01, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »

M&B is another pretty good template, yeah.  Definitely a different one.  Does it have a first-person view mode?  I kind of only played the demo.

The big difference between M&B and TES is that TES consistently commits the Unforgivable Sin of enemies not reacting to damage taken (or blocked, in MB's case).  I haven't seen the Skyrim trailer so I don't know if they really fixed that or not but I'm going to bet no, because Bethesda seems to take special care in maintaining that weird this-world-is-populated-by-robots feeling in their games and the transition from malicious, unfeeling mannequin to suddenly limp rag on death accomplishes that beautifully.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: November 01, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »

Fallout had limb damage, and enemies would only react when you crippled a particular part of their bodes, not with every bullet, but at least that's something.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: November 01, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »

in M&B you can go first-person by zooming all the way in, i am pretty sure. i never did because that's rather dangerous!

But it also helps that MB has a quick, intuitive fighting system that allows you to rapidly aim and adjust your angle of attack, and just as rapidly protect yourself. It's simple, but it's fast enough that it's fun without super moves or musou mode or what-have-you.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: November 01, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »

iirc they only reacted if the crippling changed their regular animations, i.e. from walking to limping.  Otherwise the only indication you ever received that you just, say, inflicted traumatic brain damage on someone was a little text box saying you "crippled his head".

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: November 01, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »

I remember there was a cheat code (something like "realisticsabrecombat) in Jedi Knight 2 that let you actually cut stormtrooper's limbs off in a fairly realistic manner. It made the game really fucking fun. The fact that this was a CHEAT code and not part of the normal game speaks very clearly that game designers think completely abstract damage models (i.e. they are fine until their hp drops to zero) are perfectly OK in games.

WHY they think this is a mystery. Perhaps they are also robots?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: November 01, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »

I remember there was a cheat code (something like "realisticsabrecombat) in Jedi Knight 2 that let you actually cut stormtrooper's limbs off in a fairly realistic manner. It made the game really fucking fun. The fact that this was a CHEAT code and not part of the normal game speaks very clearly that game designers think completely abstract damage models (i.e. they are fine until their hp drops to zero) are perfectly OK in games.

WHY they think this is a mystery. Perhaps they are also robots?

Or that ratings exist.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: November 01, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »

saberrealisticcombat 1

yes I have it memorized as well as most of jk2 why do you ask.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: November 01, 2011, 01:42:45 PM »

Here's to hoping Metal Gear Rising does dismemberment well.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: November 01, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »

iirc they only reacted if the crippling changed their regular animations, i.e. from walking to limping.  Otherwise the only indication you ever received that you just, say, inflicted traumatic brain damage on someone was a little text box saying you "crippled his head".

Don't remember fallout 3 but new vegas has them holding their heads for a while when you cripple a head.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: November 01, 2011, 02:44:03 PM »

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: November 01, 2011, 02:46:21 PM »

Goldeneye managed to get away with T rating in the US despite the as of then revolutionary realistic flinching when shot mechanic, though Perfect Dark got upgraded to M.

I can tolerate a complete lack of blood a lot better than a complete lack of reacting when damaged, and I think most people feel the same way. My point being, I think it's the gore that gets the higher ratings, not just enemy reactions. Though you're right that having saber realistic combat would probably have upgraded jk2 to mature and that may have been the reason it was only included as a cheat code.

Doom, of course, was in part so successful because it had both; demons would groan, flinch, and spout copious amount of gore whenever hit, which made shooting them incredibly satisfying.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: November 01, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »

that and the noise the super shotgun made

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: November 01, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »

More importantly, it made who to shoot when tactically significant, rather than "I must put x number of bullets in target y to make him go away."

I still maintain that this is an Unforgivable Sin but looking back on it, well, you rarely hear people say that Half-Life's biggest weakness is its combat mechanics, even when you're SMGing a guy's head and the only indication that it's doing anything is blood teleporting out of his helmet.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: November 01, 2011, 07:06:47 PM »

This was one of my big problems with the X games, In like, freelancer and freespace, you could wear the big ships down, destroying turrets and subsystems, they'd get weaker as you go. In X, the enemy ships are at full power until they die. At least the new game is gonna be fixing that.

I like the idea of damage systems that aren't just a HP bar, like the vehicles in the Men at war system. You can fire shells at the front of a tiger tank all day, and nothing's going to happen, but one shot through the back armour will probably hit the ammo or the fuel tank and blow it up. I'd like to see games have more systems where vehicles actually take realistic damage to their engines and weapons and stuff, and aren't at full power until you wear a bar down.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: November 02, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »

So I want to rant about how much I'm buying into the Skyrim hype, but I'm thinking that making a thread titled:
NEVER FORGET! 11-11-11
is about the most tasteless thing I can do.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: November 02, 2011, 08:44:33 PM »

There has never been a good Elder Scrolls game. I sense no change in the air.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: November 02, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »

Them's fighting words boy.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: November 03, 2011, 02:42:14 AM »

There has never been a bad Elder Scrolls game. I sense no change in the air.
Silly Bal with his being wrong.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: November 03, 2011, 03:28:33 AM »

No, Bethesda are incompetent goons, and every Elder Scrolls game has been modded into a playable state post release.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: November 03, 2011, 05:36:52 AM »

Yeah, a reputation for releasing games that millions enjoy for 50+ hours and invite a mod community strong enough to add hundreds more to the play time sure sounds like the definition of bad to me.