Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 282023 times)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #3780 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:37 AM »

Wii U - Monolith Soft Trailer

I... may have to buy a Wii-U

EDIT: speaking of having to buy a Wii-U, a new trailer for Bayonetta 2 is up. It's mostly just conceptual, behind the scenes stuff, but you get to see a few monster and location designs, plus one of Bayo's new weapons: kick-whips.

ANOTHER EDIT: also apparently an HD remake of Wind Waker.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3781 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »

Xenoblade really is fucking wonderful.  The plot and character relationships are standard JRPG Cliche Bingo stuff, but the combat system is genuinely satisfying, and it may be the biggest world I've ever seen in a game (granted I haven't gotten around to Skyrim yet).  I was 100+ hours in before I set it aside for Last Story (and now I can't play either because my Wii's on the blink).

It's got its rough edges -- not all of the exploration is worth doing (giant fucking empty lake!), the collection stuff is far too random, and the quest system, while a noble try, is about 15 years behind how shit like that works in western RPG's.  (Too many fetch/kill X number of monsters quests, with a crummy interface slapped on top.)  Maybe that shit'll get fixed in the sequel.  And even if it doesn't, I look forward to playing it, even if there's no Jenna Louise Coleman.

I'm tempted to put a Wii U on my "shit to get when I've got a job" list just so I don't have to fuck around trying to fix my Wii.  Would have to get my GameCube back out to actually play GameCube games, but there are worse things.

Though really, just at the moment I'm leaning toward trying to fix my Wii myself.  Way I figure it, my warranty's already expired, even if my fix doesn't work I'm not liable to make it any more broken than it already is and should still be able to send it in for repairs, and I've kept every console I've ever owned (except my original Genesis, which I gave to my cousin after I bought a Genesis 2/Sega CD combo on eBay) and, long-term, I want to be know how to fix them when they break.

Though seeing how well I can get Dolphin to run is still on my to-do list too.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: January 23, 2013, 04:32:23 PM »

Xenoblade really is fucking wonderful. [...] and it may be the biggest world I've ever seen in a game (granted I haven't gotten around to Skyrim yet).

Skyrim ain't got shit on Xenoblade in terms of map size.  It's maybe 1/3rd the size at best.  However, it's map has a crapton more stuff per foot of map space.  But Xenoblade has a good deal of emptiness.

RoboticDinosaur

• [Custom Title]
  • TOTAL DORK
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: February 04, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »

So Final Fantasy 6 is getting a 4 disk remix set from OC Remix. There is more details, and sample music in this post.

http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-final-fantasy-vi-balance-and-ruin-preview-242840.phtml

I do believe this is greater then sex, and I can't wait to hear the full thing. Sadly, I was not able to help fund this project ::(:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: February 06, 2013, 09:07:28 PM »

Quote from: Earan
Games Workshop claim common law trademark for the term "space marine"

Would be interesting to hear a statement from Heinlein's estate on this matter.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3785 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:37 PM »

Yeah, Ken at Popehat mentioned the claims back in December; today he updated seeking someone who can give her pro bono legal representation.  Because the claim is clearly meritless (not only does the use of "space marine" date back at least to Heinlein, but Games Workshop does not own the trademark in the context of science fiction novels), but as we all know by now, meritless legal actions work just fine against people who can't afford a lawyer.

As someone who just put out an audiobook with "Home Depot" in its title, this case is relevant to me.

Patrick at Popehat has this to say in the comments section:

With a small company like Games Workshop (I play Warhammer 40K), which survives because it sells expensive merchandise to a small number of customers, respectful emails really work.

I just sent them an email advising them that I've purchased more than a hundred dollars of their wares within the past year (true), that I'm disappointed in their stance against Hogarth, and that whether I remain a customer depends on how this is resolved.

If you're actually a customer (don't send them an email falsely claiming to be a customer if you're not), the email address in the United States is: [...] legal@gwplc.com

Good advice.  Any of you Warhammer players out there, let Games Workshop know, respectfully but firmly, how you feel about this.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: February 07, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »

I would, but I'm already boycotting GW until they bring back Sisters of Battle.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: February 07, 2013, 08:38:05 AM »

That they've gotta do someday. Rule 63 Spehss Merines are as inevitable as greed.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: February 07, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »

I doubt it. Pretty much anyone who'd petition for Sisters of Battle has left GW. I think the company's actions thus far have been:

-Quietly let Sisters of Battle go out of print.
-Pretend Sisters of battle don't exist outside of fluff. Act surprised when people demand support for the faction.
-Transfer the specialties of the faction to other factions in subsequent editions to draw in disgruntled fans.
-Claim that they're working on miniatures, but can't get the hair right.
-Print a significantly weaker Sisters of Battle army rules supplement in White Dwarf to mollify anyone still holding out hope.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »

That seems nuts to me since they'd be a sure moneymaker. I wonder what the rationale for that is.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: February 07, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »

NO GIRLS ALLOWED

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: February 08, 2013, 12:02:46 AM »

Their current BIG TIME RULES GUY wrote a dedicated book for the Grey Knights before the Adeptus Sororitas for fuck's sake. No girls allowed.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3792 on: February 15, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »

Telltale announces Walking Dead 2, confirms Fables is still in production (but won't be called "Fables" for what should be obvious trademark reasons).

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: February 19, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »

Metal Gear Rising came out today and I don't have the money to get it right now.

This makes me very sad.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: February 19, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »

I'm just waiting for the "This game is a month old" 10-20 dollar sale.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:36 AM »

Just a quickie: FFXIV has this dude, some sort of glorious, Amano-influenced pirate demon lord.

I miss Final Fantasy.

EDIT: fucking roman numerals

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3796 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »

Ha -- his name's even Amon.

(And you presumably meant XIV, not XVI.)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: February 23, 2013, 10:54:52 AM »

Makes sense, since the non-core gamer has more or less drifted off into iPads and... I dunno what other people do now, sex?  But this skein of dismissing the PS4 as a media device seems a bit awkward, since the PS3 is already one of the best set-top/BD-players around.  So, uh, are they ripping features out, or what?  Do they not understand how many people bought the PS2 as a DVD player and the PS3 as a BD player and built their libraries around that?  I guess not having some sort of new format to support makes that angle much weaker, but "Ha ha this thing is shit for non-gaming activities!" is a weird proclamation, especially considering that it's probably not even true.

I've seen journalists from every corner fall over themselves to talk about how bad the launch event for this console was, but I think there are two important things to consider here:

1. Sony holding a launch event where people don't end up going "RIDGE RACERRRRRR!!!!!" or "GIANT ENEMY CRAB!!!" for the entire next generation is, for them, equivalent to knocking it out of the park.
2. Nobody's saying shit about the actual console, other than "It doesn't have a specific new gimmick we can write about."

Personally I'm getting pretty excited about it, and the fact that the Wii U is looking like another Nintendo generation where first-party games are about the only worthwhile thing, and that Microsoft getting ready to shoot itself in the face with a DRM-crippled preterm, means we might actually see another mostly-unchallenged console generation like the PS2.  This can be a good thing.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #3799 on: February 23, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »

Yeah, I'm not really getting the hate. I won't be preordering Drive Club or Killzone whatever, but the PS3 has become pretty incredible over the last year or two, and I'm optimistic about PS4.