Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 282015 times)

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #3860 on: May 19, 2013, 04:55:40 AM »

not sure what you mean by limited frame.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: May 19, 2013, 08:38:46 AM »

not sure what you mean by limited frame.

Supposedly they're using a technique on the character models of limiting their frames of animation in such a way as to give the appearance of sprites in motion. So, instead of a normal 3D model just moving from one action to another more or less seamlessly, they're giving the impression of hand drawn sprites moving from frame to frame.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: May 19, 2013, 09:09:56 AM »

So... what? Are only Sol and Ky playable or something? I mean, yay for the slashfic community, but wake me up when they mention I-no.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: May 19, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »

Sol and Ky are the flagship characters, so it makes sense for them to appear in the announcement trailer. Millia and Eddie showed up at the end of it.

Also it's kind of stupid to assume a fighter in this day and age would only have two playable characters???????

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: May 19, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »

This day and age is precisely the one in which I'd expect some mid-size indie to put together a two-character fighter.

But, did you know, everything that's absent from an announcement trailer will also be absent from the finished product?
...but is it art?

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: May 19, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »

Even Divekick has more than two characters.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: May 19, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

So, I dunno if any of you play Neverwinter.  I was playing for a while, but got kinda burned by the way content starts to happen by thirty or so.  So, no real attachment to get in the way of enjoying watching the game sputter and die because of Cryptic being ridiculous.  That's fun.

Anyway, yeah, the game is ruined forever.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: May 19, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »

So, I dunno if any of you play Neverwinter.  I was playing for a while, but got kinda burned by the way content starts to happen by thirty or so.  So, no real attachment to get in the way of enjoying watching the game sputter and die because of Cryptic being ridiculous.  That's fun.

Anyway, yeah, the game is ruined forever.
Thank you for the incredibly informative post that so succinctly summarizes the specific faults of the game that you're clearly trying to refer to, and doesn't at all look like a crazy person talking to themselves about something that never actually happened.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKGPhKu3jNg
So who here can instantly explain why Sol has a sword closer to his weapon from the holy order while working as a bounty hunter, and Ky has a dumb ponytail, so I don't have to spend hours on the guilty gear wiki identifying why?

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: May 19, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »

It takes place after Guilty Gear 2: Overture. According to the timeline sometime after that game Sol modified his sword into that form. Ky has a ponytail presumably because he was not yet bishi enough.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: May 19, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »

Supposedly they're using a technique on the character models of limiting their frames of animation in such a way as to give the appearance of sprites in motion. So, instead of a normal 3D model just moving from one action to another more or less seamlessly, they're giving the impression of hand drawn sprites moving from frame to frame.

Yeah.  It makes really good sense in a 2D fighting game, where knowing what happens in every frame of a character's animation is considered fairly important.  Unfortunately it also run into the problem that the Street Fighter HD remake had, which is that lower frame rates start to look noticeably worse when the resolution is increased.  That you need to scale the number of animated frames up along with the resolution and find a place in memory to store it all is part of the reason why non-retro 2D sprites have become really unpopular in this generation (just because I understand why retro is so much more attractive from a developer standpoint doesn't mean I'm about to stop calling it lazy though).

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: May 19, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »

KOFXIII solved that problem by rotoscoping 3D models to make their sprites, giving them as many transition frames as they liked. With GGXrd they seem to be cutting out the middleman.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3871 on: May 19, 2013, 12:58:54 PM »

Thank you for the incredibly informative post that so succinctly summarizes the specific faults of the game that you're clearly trying to refer to, and doesn't at all look like a crazy person talking to themselves about something that never actually happened.

Yeah man TA I read your post twice and have no idea what you're talking about and you have not given me any reason to care enough to try and look it up.

You know how I don't click on links when nobody gives me any sort of context or information about what they are?  This is kind of like that but without any links.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: May 19, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »

Bah, whatever.  Fine.  Thought a prominent new MMO release would have some awareness already.

Okay, Neverwinter is the latest big release from Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios.  The big thing about Neverwinter has been the player economy they're trying to build, and this is based around multiple currencies and systems.  You've got Gold, which you get for killing things and selling items to vendors, and which you use to buy things from most vendors.  It's a gameplay maintenance currency - healing items, common bits for crafting, etc.  You've got Zen, the cash shop currency.  $1 gets you 100 Zen, items and mounts and services cost varying amounts of Zen.

And you've got Astral Diamonds, the bridge between the two.  In standard Perfect World style, you get Astral Diamonds from doing lots of little things - profession missions, dailies, etc - and there's a Zen Exchange, where you can turn Astral Diamonds into Zen and vice versa by buying and selling from other players.  This is limited on both ends, bottoming out at 50 AD per Zen, and topping out at 500 AD per Zen.  Exact same systems as Champions Online and Star Trek Online.  This is part of the various Preorder "Founder" packages, getting a big pile of free Astral Diamonds, so there's enough out there in the wild to jumpstart the economy from the start.

However, what's unique about it is that Astral Diamonds are also the currency used in the Auction House.  This is what you get when you sell items to other players through the player market, this is the currency in which all player interactions occur.  You can list things for a buyout and a minimum bid, or just the minimum bid, and players can buy for the buyout or place a bid.  So, if you do endgame content and get spare drops - because nothing's Bind On Pickup - or high-level crafting or whatever, you can turn the products into Astral Diamonds, which you can then turn into Zen, and thus access the cash shop without spending dollars.  The corollary, of course, is that players can dump a lot of dollars into Zen, sell them for Astral Diamonds, and use those to buy raid gear.

There's also the Gateway.  This is a website where players can log in to manage auctions, mail, crafting, and such without having to fire up the game itself.  You can buy and sell things on the auction house from your phone browser!

We good?  Good.  Okay.  That's the way in which Neverwinter strives to be unique, at least in the American market.  Now here's how they fucked it all up.  This has been a bug since closed beta, tickets for which were just closed as resolved despite the issue being reproducible, but now that the game is launched, it's been an exploit in constant use, and as of last night, common knowledge.  To the point where the auction house and the zen exchange and eventually the entire game had to be shut down while they tried to figure out what if anything they can salvage out of the mess.

See, the inputs for the auction house in-game, those are checked, but on the gateway?  Not sanitized.  You can place a negative bid.  Normally, let's say you have 10,000 ADs, and type in a bid for 5000 on an item.  You then have 5000 in your inventory, and the item has a 5000 bid on it.  But simply by typing "-5000" there, you can place the bid, the item will have a -5000 bid on it - no idea what happens if that wins - and then you have 15,000 ADs in your inventory.

Or, as people have been doing, type in several negative billions of Astral Diamonds.  And use those to buy out everything on the Auction House, and pass the items out randomly to players in the zone.  Or turn them into Zen, and cash out whatever you like from the cash shop.  Accounts are free, so you can create entire mule accounts just to hold your spare Diamonds, or spare Zen, or spare items.  This isn't speculation - this happened.  This shut the game down.

Now, this is fixable, right?  It's been wild since launch, but that was only three weeks ago.  So, you have to wipe - delete all characters, erase all currencies, set the game back to its initial state, and re-issue all purchased Zen or preordered Astral Diamonds.  At the very least, this only became a catastrophic thing in the last 48 hours, so rollback to Friday morning and hope nobody set up a mule account with a few hundred billion Diamonds worth of things before then.  Fixable, right?

These are off the table.  They're considering specific character rollbacks, and have banned some accounts they've identified as placing a bunch of negative bids, but they have no way to filter these exploited Diamonds out of the economy.  People are reporting their experiment accounts being banned, but their side accounts that took the diamonds being intact.  The value of Diamonds has ground into the dirt from hyperinflation, and the Zen Exchange is permanently ruined - there's no point in turning $20 of Zen into a million Diamonds if everything costs tens of millions.

Shit's fucked.  Discuss.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: May 19, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »

My first thought when I woke up today was "we're never gonna see another Guilty Gear, are we".

I wonder if I can monetize this reverse clairvoyance somehow.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: May 19, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: May 19, 2013, 01:27:48 PM »

So who here can instantly explain why Sol has a sword closer to his weapon from the holy order while working as a bounty hunter, and Ky has a dumb ponytail, so I don't have to spend hours on the guilty gear wiki identifying why?

Ky was jealous of Bridget and wanted to get on that trap gravy train.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3876 on: May 19, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

You can place a negative bid.

Wow, that's...wow.

So the developers fucked up a basic, fundamental, essential bit of programming...ignored bug reports that explicitly warned them about it...

...and my current living involves building websites where you can buy pants for your trash bin.

You know what?  Fuck it.  There IS still a part of me that takes it personally that people who seem to have slept through the entire 100 series of programming courses get real programming gigs and I'm doing what I'm doing.  But there's also a part of me that's happy to be in a low-stakes, low-pressure 9-5 job where I get paid a decent wage for doing work that can't possibly produce this kind of catastrophic fuckup.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: May 19, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »

Okay, that's what I figured.  Also, I'm in favor of it.  Looks good.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: May 19, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »

There IS still a part of me that takes it personally that people who seem to have slept through the entire 100 series of programming courses get real programming gigs and I'm doing what I'm doing.

If you buy into the stereotypical view that people's technical ability is usually inversely proportional to their charisma, it stands to reason that the worst programmers are more likely to be hired for the best jobs.

I am a tester.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: May 19, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »

But simply by typing "-5000" there, you can place the bid, the item will have a -5000 bid on it - no idea what happens if that wins - and then you have 15,000 ADs in your inventory.

Seller loses 5000. I have no idea if that's actually the case but it's far too dumb to be more complicated than that.