Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 210

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 282023 times)

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #720 on: September 23, 2008, 08:47:35 PM »

Some of you played the Mount and Blade beta when I did.  The game can be reasonably described as Fallout on horseback.  The melee combat model is fun and well-done.

Just a heads-up that the game has come out and is now for sale for $30.  Good reviews; I'll give it a look soon.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 23, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »

J.K. Simmons (seeing as how he was the best part of Burn After Reading)

Correct.

And Juno.

And Spider-Man.

He transitions from authority to bewilderment (and back) masterfully.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #722 on: September 23, 2008, 09:55:23 PM »

He was pretty awesome on Justice League, too.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 23, 2008, 11:15:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCb5qn2izR0

He's awesome all the time.

There's a whole series of those from the various characters in the game, posted as responses to other popular videos. In some cases, videos of the same actors.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 24, 2008, 08:41:52 AM »

Looking over Joystiq's headlines from over the past week...

Canceled Ensemble project was Halo MMO - This is the equivalent of what The Joker did with his share of the gangster cash.

Bejeweled add-on coming to World of Warcraft - This comment sums it up best:

Everquest added something similar when it started its decline. "Med"tris, it was nicknamed. It was played with gems made from spell icons.

Really, this sort of thing reinforces my prediction that WoW is at the top of the mountain and looking down right now. Not that Blizzard should take the central office of their bank off speed-dial any time soon.

And lastly, Konami registers 'Metal Gear Solid Existence' trademark. Expansion, ahoy.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #725 on: September 24, 2008, 08:59:45 AM »

I knew there was a reason Interplay kept the MMO rights to Fallout when they sold off the game.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 24, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »

Canceled Ensemble project was Halo MMO - This is the equivalent of what The Joker did with his share of the gangster cash.

To be fair, that game looked terrible.

Really, this sort of thing reinforces my prediction that WoW is at the top of the mountain and looking down right now. Not that Blizzard should take the central office of their bank off speed-dial any time soon.

I think they know.

(On the other hand, that's not going to help them.  Blizzard's in the unenviable position now of trying to maintain their cosmic success, and they're not going to be able to release back-to-back sequels to the most popular franchises of all time every year.  Best hope is that they buy enough time to come up with another renewable source of ludicrous income that'll stay relevant for years.)

And lastly, Konami registers 'Metal Gear Solid Existence' trademark. Expansion, ahoy.

Konami's word is that they intend to make a bunch more Metal Gear games without Snake or Kojima.  We'll see how that goes.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 24, 2008, 12:32:42 PM »

Konami's word is that they intend to make a bunch more Metal Gear games without Snake or Kojima.  We'll see how that goes.

<Konami> Hey, look, a grain thresher! I'm going to stick my penis in it.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 24, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »

Yeah, it'd be one thing if we were actually talking Halo in an MMOFPS, which if they mixed in a little PvE and kept vehicular combat relevant - Mongeese/Ghosts as mounts, Warthogs higher up on the price scale, for guilds - would be unbelievably awesome, but all indications are pointing to a turn-based WoW reskin with laser swords.

Still, something like 3's Scarab battle being the end of a raid would be six kinds of The Balls.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #729 on: September 24, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »

Blizzard should probably just cash in their chips, give every employee $9,999,999 in severance and spend the rest of their collective lives on a beach sipping [Moonwell Mojito]s or something.

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 24, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »

I'm sure Existence is just the obligatory "make everyone buy the game again a year later" installment, now with Guns of the Patriots flavour. It certainly fits the naming scheme.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #731 on: September 24, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »

Blizzard's in the unenviable position now of trying to maintain their cosmic success

Unenviable?

I would say that is the DEFINITIVE fucking enviable dilemma to have.  I wish *I* could have that problem.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 24, 2008, 02:48:26 PM »

People are going to have to give me something more concrete than Bejeweled to convince me that WoW is going to be anything but dominating for the next few years.  Warhammer Online seems to be generating some buzz for itself right now, but it's coming in just before the WotLK launch.  Once that hits, then we'll see if Blizzard needs to scale back from "ruling the universe" to "ruling 75% of the universe".

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 24, 2008, 03:04:48 PM »

I don't see how Lich King does anything but attract people who are already totally WoWtarded.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 24, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »

Yeah, everything I've heard about WotLK makes it seem like throwing more grind in front of the obsessed.  PvP items require Honor points AND Arena points, and disappear if your Arena ranking dips too low?  Artifacts that you have to individually level to make them godlike?  Catering to the hardcore at the expense of the dabblers doesn't often work out, be it in games or politics or entertainment or what have you.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 24, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »

Yeah, it'd be one thing if we were actually talking Halo in an MMOFPS, which if they mixed in a little PvE and kept vehicular combat relevant - Mongeese/Ghosts as mounts, Warthogs higher up on the price scale, for guilds - would be unbelievably awesome, but all indications are pointing to a turn-based WoW reskin with laser swords.

Still, something like 3's Scarab battle being the end of a raid would be six kinds of The Balls.

Kabbage, you lack vision. Have you forgotten Planetside already?
...but is it art?

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 24, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »

I don't see how Lich King does anything but attract people who are already totally WoWtarded.

Yes, all 10 million of them.  Are you saying this is a bad strategy, or are you merely making an obvious observation?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 24, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »

Yes, all 10 million of them.  Are you saying this is a bad strategy, or are you merely making an obvious observation?

It's not going to cause many more people to start sending their fifteen dollars per month of sweet, sweet pirate gold. It will cause lots of their existing base to drop a one-time fee for the stuff. It will delay those people from the inevitable realization that they are throwing their lives and sweet sweet pirate gold away.

It'll make them money but it's not going to grow their market share. I think at this point "People who are fed up with WoW but not opposed to the idea of MMOGs in general" are a large enough demographic to sustain a game successfully, if they do it right.
...but is it art?

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 24, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »

It's not going to cause many more people to start sending their fifteen dollars per month of sweet, sweet pirate gold. It will cause lots of their existing base to drop a one-time fee for the stuff. It will delay those people from the inevitable realization that they are throwing their lives and sweet sweet pirate gold away.

It'll make them money but it's not going to grow their market share. I think at this point "People who are fed up with WoW but not opposed to the idea of MMOGs in general" are a large enough demographic to sustain a game successfully, if they do it right.

I think you're forgetting about people who leveled to 70 and quit because there was nothing more to do.  Now there will be, and if you got to 70 and did everything, chances are you'll be intrigued by having even more shit to do now.

They don't need expansions to hook new people, as long as they keep practically giving away the DVDs with 2-week trials.

You know, I'm surprised that Blizzard even bothered developing SC2 and Diablo III.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 24, 2008, 04:29:11 PM »

Sometimes it feels weird being quite possibly the only person who doesn't care about Blizzard. I never got into any RTS or Diablo games, and I only played WoW for a couple weeks when on a vacation last year, quit as soon as I went back to work and never looked back.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 210