Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Author Topic: Random TV Thoughts  (Read 58377 times)

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Random TV Thoughts
« Reply #520 on: July 05, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »

Neil Cicierega was asked to do theme music, but his pitches were REJECTED! Also the show is no longer "upcoming" as it already aired. Everything Lottel says is a lie.

Although Kristen Schaal is on the show so don't let Lottel's Lascivious Lies lure you away from the show.

Well fuck and double fuck.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #521 on: July 18, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »

Well, Eureka's over.  That's a shame, but they did a pretty solid job of (1) tying up the major loose ends, (2) completing the major character arcs, (3) bringing back relevant minor characters, and (4) delivering a satisfying emotional conclusion, all in the span of a regular old 44-minute episode.  Great, great stuff.

And of course we've already established that Eureka and Warehouse 13 take place in the same universe.  I expect we haven't seen the last of these guys -- at least, not Fargo and Holly.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 18, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »

What? No!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #523 on: July 20, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »

Welp, just finished watching the American version of Life on Mars on Netflix.

Setup goes like this: NYPD cop in 2008 gets hit by a car and inexplicably wakes up in 1973, as a new transfer to an office run by a cheerfully violent Harvey Keitel.

Precisely what he is doing in 1973, how he can get home, and whether or not this is actually real is the subject of an ongoing mystery throughout the series, though it doesn't take itself very seriously and floats so many progressively absurd theories that when the series finally ends with an utterly ludicrous explanation it doesn't feel like a letdown.

All in all I enjoyed it.

Next I will check out the original British version.  It has John Simm in it.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 21, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »

I have heard nothing but bad things about the American series from fans of the British show.  Kinda curious how you'll feel going the other direction.  I loved the British series but haven't gotten around to trying out the American one or the sequel series yet.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: July 25, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »

Just finished the first season of Breaking Bad. Everyone has been telling me about how great it is, but I can't just overlook the incredibly problematic racial undertones of the series. It's telling that somehow Walter teams up with the only white meth dealer in New Mexico, and together they must defend themselves against violent (Latino) gang-members. It always seems to paint a gang-member's violent actions as the result of a mad dog mentality, prone to violence and irrationality and can only use sympathy and listening as a weapon to brutalize others. It's almost a white-fantasy, bravely defending family and other whites from savage, colored gangsters.

I'm going to give the second season a try, but don't know if I can stomach it if this subtext keeps up.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 25, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »

Torn between wanting to explain how outlandishly, ridiculously wrong that conceit is, and not wanting to spoil what's probably the best show on TV.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »

Again, this is the impression I have gotten from the first season. I guess what I was looking for was more a "The show addresses this"

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:50 AM »

Again, this is the impression I have gotten from the first season. I guess what I was looking for was more a "The show addresses this"

It's not so much as it addresses this impression as that that's a baseless impression, which the second season should do away with.  If you think Walter White is supposed to be a heroic figure, protecting and looking out for his family in the only way he can, you're grossly misinterpreting what you're seeing.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 25, 2012, 11:19:41 AM »

I'm just saying that's kind of how it's portrayed in the first season. Nearly every act of violence he commits in the first season is framed in the form of someone attacking him or his kin.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #530 on: July 26, 2012, 08:29:34 AM »

Landlord, a half-hour comedy created by Dan Clowes, coming to HBO.  The directors of Little Miss Sunshine are interested.

HT to Comics Beat, which has a roundup of Clowes news, all of it worth checking out.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 01, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »

Season Four of Parks and Recreation proves that this show is the Benjamin Button of television (it just gets better).

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 20, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 27, 2012, 05:27:16 AM »

How much longer until all the secret nazi war criminals living among us have finally died out?

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 27, 2012, 06:04:44 AM »

Depends. How many do you think extracted the key to longevity from the spinal cords of Jewish babies?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #535 on: September 27, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #536 on: October 01, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »

MINOR DEXTER SPOILERS FOLLOW

MINUS: The premier pretty much spends an entire episode dithering before bringing us back to the exact same cliffhanger we started at.

PLUS: The "This Season on Dexter..." preview makes it look like the premise of the show is going to turn into "The Odd Couple, Except Oscar is a Serial Killer".  Which, I am not going to lie, sounds like the greatest fucking premise for a sitcom EVER.

MINUS: [spoiler]Enver Gjokaj dies after only being in a couple scenes.  That sucks.  I LOVE Enver Gjokaj.[/spoiler]

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 02, 2012, 09:46:56 AM »

Revenge season premiere was awesome, this is my new favorite "Rich people being mean to each other" show.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #538 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:26 AM »

Arrow: Surprisingly, actually pretty decent.

Green Arrow has a good origin story.  Rich asshole is stranded on a desert island and discovers what it's like to fight every day just to survive, and it changes him.  Heroes with something to atone for are inherently heroes you can root for -- Dr. Strange and Iron Man have similar elements in their backstories.  Plus they're playing up the Robin Hood connection, and the rich-versus-poor angle has pretty obvious real-world relevance.

I'm not sure I like Dinah as a lawyer who doesn't go by Dinah, but I really like the Reverse George Stacy angle they're playing with her father.  And they've even worked the "my ward is a junkie!" angle in with Ollie's little sister.

All in all?  Well, they've got me interested in sticking around for this week's episode.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 26, 2012, 06:22:09 PM »

Should you ever need to prove to someone that television is horrible be sure to show them A Gifted Man.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30