Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 2555 times)

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Red Dead Redemption
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »

I have to say I am slow to pick up on the hype on this game(thankfully, because I hate getting excited for games months/years before they release). It's going to be released tomorrow, and I've just recently been looking into videos and I have to say I'm pretty excited for it - specifically for the multiplayer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jgPSYtTFCI

I've never been hugely into the old west as far as a backdrop goes, but the execution of this game seems way too good to miss.

Can anyone who played Red Dead Revolver weigh in if that's worth playing first? I've heard that this game is sort of a sequel, but I don't know if they mean that it's just a continuation of the story line/universe or if the characters involved are from the first game.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:46:47 AM »

I always forget which one Red Dead was in that tidal wave of old west games that were on the 360. The summary for all of them though was more-or-less the same: interesting idea, fun mechanics but average to poor overall experience.

Now, a big part of that was that none were as open as they all promised to be, so if this game does actually play out like the videos makes it seem that alone would make it a worth-while experience.

As for the online stuff, there's been a lot promised like it, but that video is pretty convincing that they cover everything someone could ask for in free roam online play. Especially the bits that seem to show a player of the opposite alignment would get if not experience than some sort of reward for halting the progress of someone's missions. That is just tits.

I haven't said anything helpful though. So tldr; if it does those things it will be a good game. If it doesn't it wont. I'm confident that Rockstar is a company that could pull it off, though.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:38:14 AM »

IGN review of RDR.

I'll pick out some of the parts that hit me:

Following that main story will take you roughly 20 hours from start to finish, though most will find that there is so much to do that it is difficult to focus on one thing. This is made by Rockstar, after all, and their heritage as masters of the open world sandbox game is not lost.

...as it turns out there isn't just a lot to do -- there's a lot to see. The world feels alive with something happening everywhere you turn. Birds come screaming out of the bushes as your horse thunders by. Trains whistle while storms come blowing in to fill low-lying areas with fresh puddles. Around the next bend might be a carriage being robbed by bandits, its poor inhabitants crying out for help, or there might be a cougar or bear ready to tear down your horse and bring Marston to his knees.

Add in the smooth way the world reacts and moves and you have a game that is stunning. Horses gallop realistically. Bodies dangling from those horses -- be it from a rope or from a foot caught in a stirrup -- animate near perfectly. Shoot a bandit in the hat and it will fly off, or aim for the legs and he'll stumble to the ground while you prepare to hogtie him. None of the animations are canned, which means every time you go out into the desert to play you'll have a slightly different and awesome outcome.

After playing GTA4 and seeing the Euphoria engine in action in that, the above is :jizz: .

The reason to keep coming back to Red Dead Redemption for months and months is called Free Roam. This is the multiplayer lobby of sorts, but the concept has been cranked up a notch to be an entire game in itself. Free Roam lets up to 16 players join into one world and then explore the entirety of the single-player map. You can form posses and take part in little skirmishes, simply shoot each other in the face, assault bandit hideouts and forts as a team, or just ride across the countryside together while taking part in hunting and gathering challenges.
you can gain experience and begin leveling up to unlock new character models, modes, and better mounts to ride.

Lets just hope it's not as fucking grindy as unlocking the model options in GTA4 Multiplayer. That was obnoxious.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:22:20 AM »

Wait, is this the game where you could buy only one of three builds? They were like bandit, merchant and trapper, and you got bonuses to stuff from each one? And one of them was pre-order exclusive or something.

Bartz Has Bite

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »

Red Dead Revolver was an excellent third person shooter. But from what I can gather it really has no connection to Redemption, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a cameo or a name thrown in. Not necessary to play Revolver first, but I still recommend it if you're looking for a great PS2 game.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »

I gave up on Red Dead Revolver on the bridge shootout.  Still an awesome game.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »

Initially the plan was to go to a midnight release and play the game all tomorrow after calling in sick to work.

Then I realized I left my debit card somewhere at work.
:rage:

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 12:08:13 AM »

It appears there is no notable difference between PS3 and 360 versions, is that correct?

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »

Well, 360 version presumably actually has people online.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »

If you can call them that.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 12:45:04 PM »

Huh. Apparently preorders get a special edition including the Deadly Assassin outfit and the soundtrack for the game.

Now if only I got that fuckawesome deck of cards that other places got.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:34:42 PM »

I'm getting into the singleplayer, and I figure I'm still in the tutorial. Still meeting people, still getting tools handed to me and learning new tricks. That aside, I would like to say the following, and even though there's a pun in there it is still the best way to describe it.

Herding is bullshit.

It's exactly as bad as you assume it is. It's a very abstract minigame of chasing around cows, rounding them up, then moving them around by moving your extremely difficult-to-maneuver horse around.

However? Everything else? Fucking solid.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »

I keep thinking the main character of the game is named Samuel Marston instead of John Marston.

Then I realize why I got confused and I get sad.

So very sad.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:02 AM »

One of the smaller fun things this game has to offer? Sprinting into NPCs, watching them try to balance themselves and/or use a wall and/or get back up while you keep running into them.

Pushing people over the railings on the second floor of the Armadillo Saloon, for example, is far more fun than it should be.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 02:37:23 AM »

I enjoy the inventive ways you can kill people who fuck with you. My personal favorites all involve the lasso.

You helped some bandits rob me? Well, I hate to do this to you, lady, but you really brought this on yourself. High time I introduced you to my rope and those nearby traintracks.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 03:56:24 AM »

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 07:03:36 AM »

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 07:58:16 AM »

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 12:14:48 PM »

I'm actually a little disappointed it doesn't ragdoll. Horses do the same thing when you put them infront of trains.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »

As I understand it, popping like a meat balloon is a lot closer to what actually happens to a human body when struck with a train.
Pages: [1] 2