Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Transformers: War for Cybertron  (Read 2007 times)

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Transformers: War for Cybertron
« on: June 22, 2010, 08:57:39 AM »

This game just sort of came out of nowhere for me. I saw a video a while back then shrugged it off, but more recently I've been reading about the details:

*3-player co-op campaign for both sides (Autobot and Decepticon)
*3-player Escalation mode, which is essentially Gears Hordes mode
*Class-based, customizable-character VS modes. (Car, Tank, Leader?, Jet) with leveling/unlocks for each class.

The above is a bit of a :jizz: moment due to being nearly everything I would want in a game all in one.

And, well, it's fucking transformers. Not bayformers, to boot. The story of the game is it covers the War on Cybertron that is continuously referenced across all* iterations of Transformers. The actual art for cybertron is pretty fucking incredible, too.
*I think so, anyway?

It's on steam for $40. I'll give a complete review after I play it a bit tonight.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers: War for Cybertron
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:53:16 AM »

This has been the only game I've preordered in a long time, seeing as how the Gamestop preorder bonus makes Shockwave (the greatest Decepticon to ever live) a playable character. I was unaware of a PC release. If there's a big crowd that pick it up, I'll happily switch and get the PC version.

From the multiplayer demo on the 360, it actually looks like it might be pretty solid in the long term too.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:00:20 AM »

I'll weasel a code out of the guy at the counter.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:14:49 AM »

Now that I look, it doesn't seem to say anything about Shockwave's avaliability in the PC version. This could be a problem.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »

I'm kind of interested in this... going to hold off until I hear some hands-on impression, but I'm really hopeful.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:00:50 PM »

Going to go hopefully pick up the game during my lunch break. Hopefully Shock wave is for PC. If not, heads will roll.
 :rage:

(I assume it'll be like DOW2/AVP in that it is basically a steam game that you can buy in stores as well. And you just add the codes into the steam system to get the DLC that is Preorder bonus)

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »

Talked to the guy at gamestop. Confirmed. no shockwave preorder bonus for PC version.  :rage:

I wonder if we'll see him as a patch, or as DLC?... Or at all?  ::(:

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »

What a fucking PAIN. To redeem my preorder bonus, I have to have my receipt with a code printed on it, which directs me to http://www.gamestop.com/code which has me download a fucking PDF that tells me to go to http://www.transformersgame.com/redemption/ which will email me a link to verify the registration to give me the code to put in my 360. But if that wasn't enough...

Register > Activate account via email link > "Hi thanks for verifying your account, log in bro" > "That's the wrong password bro" > "Recover your password? No problem, bro, but your email don't exist in my database. Bro."

Anyone that says that Activision did not take EA's throne of evil overlord can suck my left nut. Why the fuck would you not just print out the damn codes and put them in the boxes if you want to fight used sales?

Edit: And yeah Ziiro, you're SOL. https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=27975&p_created=1276267566&p_sid=cMH9u63k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTA3LDEwNyZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Q3liZXJ0cm9u&p_li=&p_topview=1

(not that I'm suprised)

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:32:42 PM »

Since shockwave is all that matters. Other people got Jazz as a pre-order bonus.

Bleck

• Tailor Made Squid Unicycles
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:42:10 PM »

I don't think they understand how many people they'll piss off by not making Shockwave available to certain players.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:58:19 PM »

Transformers fans have just enough crazy int hem about exclusives to actually do shit about it.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »

Fired it up, playing the multiplayer. Holy. Shit. This is fun.

The Scientists/Jet is the Medic/Engineer/Disguises class. Their jet mode has lock on missiles, meaning Air to air battles between Scientists is insane to watch and participate in.
The soldier class is the all around beat-your-ass class. Their chaingun is extremely powerful, as is their whirlwind melee special. The real powerhouse on the battlefield.
The scout class.. I haven't played a whole lot. Mostly moving around like a maniac and killing people before they know you're there. They have perks to do extra damage when uncloaking, and extra damage when they attack from behind. They also get access to shotguns.
The leader class is something of a support/front line attacker. They're made to push the front line forward and draw fire - they have a shield ability. They also have a frenzy sort of thing that buffs armor/damage output.

There's 25 levels (I think) Per class, and after you hit 25 on all you unlock something called Prime mode. I'm not sure what that does just yet. Probably like prestige.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 07:37:48 AM »

Transformers: War For Cybertron PC Multiplayer Gameplay: The Flying Scientist

Here's a multiplayer gameplay video of the Scientist.

Mind you, he doesn't use it, but the Scientist also has the medic gun.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 09:32:38 PM »

The Scientists/Jet is the Medic/Engineer/Disguises class. Their jet mode has lock on missiles, meaning Air to air battles between Scientists is insane to watch and participate in.

Jetfire.

The soldier class is the all around beat-your-ass class. Their chaingun is extremely powerful, as is their whirlwind melee special. The real powerhouse on the battlefield.

Ironhide.

The scout class.. I haven't played a whole lot. Mostly moving around like a maniac and killing people before they know you're there. They have perks to do extra damage when uncloaking, and extra damage when they attack from behind. They also get access to shotguns.

Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Jazz...

The leader class is something of a support/front line attacker. They're made to push the front line forward and draw fire - they have a shield ability. They also have a frenzy sort of thing that buffs armor/damage output.

Ultra Magnus.

Hrm.  How come I'm only coming up with Autobots?

I would like to play this game, and am glad to hear that it is as good as it looks.  But jeeminy I have such a backlog right now...

Bleck

• Tailor Made Squid Unicycles
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:46:43 PM »

Spy class - Soundwave

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »

As good as this game is - it's so painfully obvious it's a port.

No dedicated servers, no chat, no control rebinding.. Lots of problems due to the port, but it's still pretty fun at it's core.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »

Okay this intro is just sweet

Transformers War for Cybertron • Intro

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »

As good as this game is - it's so painfully obvious it's a port.

No dedicated servers, no chat, no control rebinding.. Lots of problems due to the port, but it's still pretty fun at it's core.

Hrm.  And I'm guessing "no control rebinding" also implies that if I want to use a gamepad with it, I have to buy Microsoft's?

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 04:49:29 PM »

Oh fuck yes