Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Saints Row 3: Strap it on  (Read 7585 times)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Saints Row 3: Strap it on
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2012, 02:17:42 PM »

It should be noted that we are both invincible super men who can only take damage from melee attacks and being inside exploding cars. So some of the drama and risk is, you know, missing.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »

Hey I died that one time when I was literally surrounded by brutes and beat to death by melee attacks

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »

Just got this, it's the tits.

That said, it looks like [spoiler]killing Killbane[/spoiler] is the "good" or at least intended ending? That's too bad, not because of [spoiler]shaundi[/spoiler], I'm fine with that, just [spoiler]Viola[/spoiler].

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »

Both endings are currently valid. Nothing that happens in either ending has yet been contradicted by subsequent canon. You can do both anyway, so I suspect the canon ending is the both ending.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »

OUR DLC PETARD! WE'VE BEEN HOISTED BY IT!

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »

I'm on a COMPUTER YOU ASSHOLES.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »

Well, sort of. You're on a computer emulating a six-year-old console! Common misconception in this era of gaming, I assure you.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »

Wow. Bal totally called it.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2012, 10:11:50 AM »

Do you suppose this expansion is going to let them fix their little malloc oopsie?

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »

Entirely possible, since it's a stand-alone expansion.

Hopefully it will allow you to import an existing save...

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2012, 02:55:15 AM »

Just started playing this game, oh my gosh it's so adorable.

FEAR DILDO TRINITY

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2013, 05:42:53 PM »

In anticipation of our impending inauguration I've been bum-rushing (if you can call 90% completion a rush) Saints Row 2 and the DLC for SR3.

I find it kind of neat that my endgame character from SR2 could believably be the same person as my endgame character from SR3.  Hell, of all the jerks in that screenshot I think she got redesigned the least.  I guess it's not that earth-shattering since I knew from the start I wanted spicy latina voice back, but whatever I'm building a narrative here.

I guess sometime between SR3 and SR4 she'll have learned to speak French and... started speaking French instead of Spanish, I guess.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2013, 10:56:30 PM »

So I finally played Saint's Row III and it seemed... normal. Like it -tries- to be funny but only has a handful of funny ideas sprinkled on top of GTA. I mean the weapons are pistol, machinegun, shotgun, rifle and dildo. The vehicles are car, truck, tank, motorcycle and jetbike.

Not exactly sure if I want to spend a lot of money on SR4 if it doesn't go beyond that, when Prototype exists.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2013, 04:47:58 AM »

You can kind of tell that the shift from "over-the-top crime drama" to "lighthearted wacky hijinks" came later in development, probably around the time they started fleshing out the Deckers scenario and realized there was no goddamn way they could play this shit straight.  That's also probably why Gat's death is such an offhand thing - they originally did it to increase the drama but then drama suddenly had no place in the game, but Gat being dead was already too much of a thing so they just sort of... glossed it over.  By the time they got to the DLC packs though, all traces of subtlety were long gone.

For better or worse, SR4 was designed with wacky in mind from the start.  I'm just hoping that doesn't mean I'm railroaded into driving around in some fucking unicorn-shaped car instead of a sensible bright-purple lamborghini.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2013, 05:07:10 AM »

As I recall Gat's actor had other obligations at the time, so they wrote him out.  It did come across as a bit tone deaf with the rest of the game, though.  That, and how the syndicate boss just kinda gets pancaked by that giant ball thing and it's like nobody realizes he's dead.  I kept expecting that big-ass ball to roll into scene apropos of nothing, and him pop out for a big boss battle, but nope.  Syndicate boss dies, nobody notices, oh hey look, zombies...!

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2013, 05:15:15 AM »

I feel like glossing over key events to instantly give way to more, equally amazing scenarios was the strength of three.

It certainly was a lot less stupid than when they focused on the tragedy of Carlos being dragged by a truck for five minutes and dying. Since I arrived at the mission by way of crashing my car at eighty miles-per-hour and flinging my ragdoll body out into the start area.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2013, 05:42:43 AM »

Huh, interviews I read seemed to imply that most of the team wanted Johnny to live, but they needed some way to make The Syndicate seem like an actual threat rather than another trio of themed gangs for the Saints to steamroll over.

As far as Carlos goes, I think the whole point of him is that he was always a fairly normal, eager kid trying to roll with nigh-invulnerable badasses.  Whereas Johnny or the Boss would have reacted by just getting a bit angrier, Carlos was actually HURT by his injuries, and when the Boss finally figured this out all that s/he could do about it was the only thing the Boss ever can do about anything.  And then, Jessica.

SR2's dark moments are a pretty damning argument as to why it's actually a good thing that the series has moved away from being serious.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2013, 09:53:17 AM »

Yeah, agreed. I think SR2 is probably a better game than SR3, but that's definitely not because of the story missions or plot progression.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7