Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Deus Ex  (Read 6577 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 05:59:27 AM »

I should stop reading this thread because I have no time and money and oh god I just want to feel like 2000 all over again.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 12:04:17 PM »

I've never played a Deus Ex game before but this sounds pretty hot, especially inasmuch as I'm still looking for ways to justify my $300 video card purchase and also have a job and a birthday coming up.

Will still probably pick up a PSP first, but...maybe not.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »

Hm.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 02:58:12 PM »

Just played a bit and it's pretty good. I do have an issue that stun weapons are mostly un-modifiable, and if you go no-kill you pretty much need to be full stealth because your weapons are rather dinky.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »

The stun gun is basically an instant kill, but the tranq rifle is junk, and the PEPS, while fucking amazing to watch, is kind of unreliable. What I do is use the stun gun and takedowns if I feel like I have to get rid of a guard, but avoid both of those things if I can, and finally, if things really go pear-shaped, I just go full lethal, because I honestly don't give a shit about the lives of these PMC motherfuckers aiding and abetting the people I'm after. They can die in a gutter for all I care. Stealth is just easier and more efficient.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »

The stun gun was nice once I finally got it, and the ambush was a pretty good place to get it too, I would have stealthed my way out of there, but I had a bunch of stun gun ammo and i needed a lot of money. Selling guns is the way to go.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »

Starting on my second run.  Gonna try and do a proper pacifist run, no alerts, on hard.  Also, make sure that second trip to China starts out on the right foot.  NOBODY dies on my watch.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »

Is there any way to get more battery power to auto-recharge?
The tranq rifle is good to knock one person out, wait for another to go and revive them, repeat.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »

Just one battery recharges at a time, unless  I'm missing something. Tranq rifle is definitely way better than the stun gun, since at that distance you can just smash their faces. The stun gun did come in handy for the second boss, that would have been super annoying otherwise.;

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 09:46:33 PM »

Partially depleted batteries will always replenish, but only the last one will if they are all depleted.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 03:38:44 AM »

Ending/s talk: [spoiler]I feel like they dropped the ball with the endings a little bit. Obviously, no matter what you do, the world more or less has to end up in it's base state at the beginning of Deus Ex, but they could have still made the endings meaningful by making them more closely tied to Jensen personally. Yeah, sure, Illuminati this and anarchy that, but we already knew where this was going. Tell me about Jensen and what happens to him in the aftermath. Without any of that, the endings, whichever you pick, ring hollow.[/spoiler]

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 12:22:21 AM »

Well. That was..

Let me think about it.. I'll post tomorrow.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 04:22:59 AM »

FUN FACT: Despite what the game tells you, knocking cameras out works.

FUN FACT 2: The stun gun is a handy camera-deactivation tool.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 04:32:06 AM »

I am kinda mad that they lied to me about that.  :|

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 10:32:29 AM »

This game was pretty good.

Shooting cameras cause the alarm to go off. I don't think enemies are alerted though.

Bal (and ending spoilers): [spoiler] The "fuck everyone" ending explains exactly what happens to Jensen. :3c

It's also probably the best ending in my opinion. The Darrow choice was my least favorite, because it doesn't really go into what happens in the end. Human Augmentation gets ended, but what about the fucking "Hey guys the Illuminati are sort of jerks" part of the message? I would think that would have shown through the ending, but instead it talks about how trying to transcend humanity is bad and crap. I guess they had to shove that in Darrow's ending, because Taggart's ending is about how order has to be upheld and blah blah blah Illuminati wins.[/spoiler]

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 11:27:33 AM »

In the end I got a lot of MGS vibes from the game. This game probably is right up there with MGS for being able to sneak around. A lot of games try to give you the option of sneaking but sort of falls flat when it comes to the player actually trying to implement those options. Sadly this game had to make combat feel really clunky. It wasn't until I had pretty much every aug that I felt that the combat wasn't extremely difficult. Oh, and fuck the boss fights. The boss fights really wanted to be MGS boss fights, but in the end dumb cage matches don't fit in this game when you can ignore every combat aug up until that point.

I never asked for love to bloom on a battlefield~~

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »

I disagree about the stealth and combat. It worked for me just fine. Jumping in and out of cover as well as the aiming from within and the ironsights all felt pretty okay to me. My only slight complaint about that would be throwing grenades from around a corner was awful on getting it to go where you want. Agreed on the boss fights though. Fuck everything about those - I was never really prepared with enough candy bars/grenades/etc.

Also, Pistol ammo seems to dry up towards the end of the game. Which is really fucking stupid when you dump nearly every upgrade you find into your pistol.

I'm wondering about the possibility of playing through the game without upgrading/purchasing any augs. "Give me Deus Ex" is kind of difficult, but it's not off the wall insane difficult like I thought it would be.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »

I thought the stealth was just fine. I probably wasn't approaching gunfights properly, but holy crap stealth is so much easier than combat. I had so much crap through the whole game because the only time I used ammo was in the boss fights. I think I used 2 grenades in the whole game.

Guys my inventory is full. What are these cool guns I can't pick them up to check :( I sort of want to hurt the guy who decided to use the RE4 inventory system. I hate playing tetris with my stacks of 5 bullets.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 11:49:48 AM »

I shot most of the guns at least once, but I stuck to the pistol 90% of the time. The remaining 10% was the heavy rifle - because they would not stop throwing ammo at me for it and I had to dump upgrades somewhere else.

[spoiler]The laser gun is really cool when you combine it with aug vision. It shoots through walls and has headshots. The plasma gun was pretty okay I guess? Dealt with robots decently for the last boss fight.[/spoiler]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5