Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35

Author Topic: LGBT  (Read 57095 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: LGBT
« Reply #600 on: August 26, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with Shinra on this one -- gun violence is, sadly, common enough that it doesn't usually get broad coverage from the press, barring something exceptional -- the two mass murders in the past two months, for example.  (Hell, JT Ready killed four people plus himself back in May; did that get any coverage outside of Arizona?)

That's not to say the press is unbiased -- far from it.  It's just that this time I think the bias is in favor of sensationalism rather than straight people.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 26, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »

I think this is somebody reaching to find an example of systemic intolerance where it isn't actually happening.
Really? That's not what I read in that article at all.

Then again, I can't really tell what it is about (criticizing the gay community for being complacent and cynical?) but if it's trying to make the coverage of that shooting an example of systemic bias it's spending a long-ass time talking about prominent gay faces in media and the marches and how much privilege gay people have already achieved.

I have no reason to believe anything else Shinra wrote is wrong though.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 27, 2012, 05:07:49 AM »

I was mostly referring to how the article was framed rather than it's content in particular. The content of the article was a rambling and ultimately mostly pointless? tirade that I couldn't drum up enough interest in to finish.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 27, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »

The point the article was getting at (in an unfortunately roundabout way) was that prominent GBLT figures in the media didn't make a big deal of the story and that their inaction seems to signify that they've forgotten the struggles that regular GBLT people went through to get them to their lofty position.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 27, 2012, 07:48:36 AM »

I can't blame prominent GLBT people from not getting involved, though, because it was never proven to be a hate crime and it could be twisted against them so easily by opponents of gay rights. "Every crime is a hate crime, listen to these fucking sinners you guys :rolleyes:" etc. If somebody had come forward, or written a manifesto, or killed more people, or gotten caught and there was reason to believe they were killed because they were gay (rather than, say, gang initiation, drug shooting, wrong place wrong time, robbery gone wrong) I'd be with this person and their story 100% but it just seems like a great way to get labeled reactionary to me.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 27, 2012, 10:07:58 AM »

It's really sad that they got shot sure, but so the guy is upset that Anderson Cooper didn't throw a fit about it. They're not the only people that got shot during the past couple of months is the thing, as other people have already pointed out.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 04, 2012, 03:52:56 AM »

Lesbian who reported 'hate crime' attack staged incident, Nebraska police say

I don't know what disgusts me more; the thought that this could have actually happened, or the thought that it didn't and she just made it up. :|

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 04, 2012, 05:52:56 AM »

What bothers me is that this is going to give more fuel for people to ignore and harass victims of legitimate hate crimes.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 07, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »

What bothers me is that this is going to give more fuel for people to ignore and harass victims of legitimate hate crimes.

Yeah. This person has done more to harm the fight for equality than she ever could have imagined. I would love to know what her reasoning behind it was.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 07, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »

Chris Kluwe Explains Gay Marriage To The Politician Who Is Offended By An NFL Player Supporting It

Our greatest hope for dealing with people like this dumbfuck politician is them all dying off in the next ten years. The cold war Mccarthyism made our parents and grandparents very wary of foreigners, gay people and nonchristians and the damage just never seems to have worn off.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #611 on: September 07, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »

I've got a whole long blog post brewing on the subject in my head, but here's how I see it:

Fundamentalists aren't going to go away but they're going to change.  In a generation, gay rights and gay marriage will be as widely accepted as minority rights and interracial marriage -- some people will still object to them, and some of those will object strongly and vocally, but most homophobes will act offended when you call them homophobic just as today most racists will act offended when you call them racist.

They'll do what they did with minority rights: they'll wrap their discrimination in euphemisms and attack things that are RELATED to the subject but totally not the same thing.

And they'll find a new minority to openly discriminate against.

Who that's going to be is anybody's guess.  Transgenders?  Polys?  Indians and Chinese?  (Not because of their race, of COURSE not; because of their ECONOMIC POLICIES!)

Hell, they'll probably even pull the same historical revisionism they do today with all the "It was the DEMOCRATS who were racist!" half-truths.  "Hey, Barry Goldwater SUPPORTED letting gays serve openly in the military; BILL CLINTON pushed Don't Ask, Don't Tell!"

Round and round it goes.  When it's no longer socially acceptable to hate one minority, they find another -- and claim they never hated that first minority at all, that was those OTHER guys!

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 07, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »

In AD 2101

"Base" is slang for civil rights

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 09, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »

Hell, they'll probably even pull the same historical revisionism they do today with all the "It was the DEMOCRATS who were racist!" half-truths.

Could you elaborate on this? What I remember from history is that it was indeed Democrats (specifically southern "Dixiecrats") who were so against desegregation.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »

The Dixiecrats were courted by the Republican party during/soon after desegregation, and pretty much all of them switched sides.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #615 on: September 09, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »

Right.  Saying "the Democrats were the racists!" is like saying "the Republican Party is the party of Lincoln" -- it's technically accurate but completely omits major shifts in attitude since.

Yes, the Democrats were largely responsible for fighting civil rights legislation at every turn.

But when a Democratic President (Johnson) pushed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he effectively cost the Democratic Party the South.

And then a Republican candidate (Nixon) saw an opportunity to snatch up all those votes and orchestrated the Southern Strategy, which overtly encouraged the racist elements of the Democratic Party to become Republicans.  And they did -- segregationists like Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms switched parties, as did most of the South.

It's absolutely true that Republicans were more progressive on minority rights than Democrats -- fifty years ago.  But when a twenty-first-century Republican says that to indicate that the Democrats are the REAL racists, man, that's misleading.  The modern Republican Party is home to the reactionary fundamentalist elements who were Democrats up until the late 1960's/early 1970's.  And the modern Democratic Party has a solid 90% of the black vote.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 22, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »

I would hope the fact that they've been protecting and covering for child rapists for at least 93 years might be a factor, too.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 05, 2012, 05:32:15 AM »

Continuing in that vein, fuck the Boy Scouts.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 18, 2012, 08:35:36 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35