Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 38

Author Topic: ¡Science!  (Read 61845 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: ¡Science!
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2009, 10:59:13 AM »

That's part of why I love The Register.  Sometimes I can't even make sense of their headlines.  (Best example currently sitting on the front page; there are better ones but I can't find any without digging.)

Another relevant-to-the-thread article on the front page: Videogame history project successfully emulates CRT on LCD.  I wonder how it looks in practice.  Obviously the bastard about emulation on an LCD is that you have to choose between ugly too-sharp pixellation and ugly run-together OpenGL filters.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »

I sort of had that problem on CRT monitors too.  Standard television is such a very special type of crappy.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2009, 03:45:27 PM »

I've always kind of liked "ugly" too-sharp pixelization in emulated games. It always sort of made everything look crisper and purer to me and considering that all the graphics for NES, SNES and etc where designed at the pixel level anyway, I never really saw a problem. I mean, seeing the games how they actually looked on a TV is cool too, but I've always hated those gay-ass filters. They make everything look like it's made out of morphing LEGO.

All that said, I do always run MAME with one of the scanline options turned on. I love scanlines.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »

Scanlines are about the only thing I can stand, I  actually like it even. Sprite smoothing or whatever it's called is the devil.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2009, 04:06:13 PM »

You know, I mostly agree. That said, sometimes (rarely?) there's a genuine improvement, depending on the game or art style (or personal preference I suppose). Like on the pictures below: the hills become brown blobs, but the mountains are much better with the filter on I think.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »

Whether filtering looks better or not probably depends on the exact game you're playing.  Games with abstract, "clean" sprites, like Mario, look fine pixelated and it actually adds a bit to the gaming charm.  Sprites that are meant to look really detailed, though, like SF2 sprites or Final Fantasy monsters, tend to look like a big weird blocky mess, since they were often drawn with the fuzziness of CRT actually in mind and in many cases even trying to take advantage of that.

Square games in fact tend to do this a lot, even up to the current generation (though I think with Last Remnant and XIII they're finally catching up to modern times).  Even PS1 and PS2 era games look way better on a CRT than they do on a flat panel; see comments in the Final Fantasy thread that that FF7 backgrounds look a bit too detailed.  When I first tried playing XII on my tuner card, I kept adjusting the thing thinking there was something wrong with it, until I finally realized that no, that's just what FFXII looks like without the usual glossy blurring of TV screen.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »

Ugh, i hate those SMEARED WITH PETROLEUM JELLY filters so much.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »

I recall Final Fantasy V working very well on ZSNES with one of the filters.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2009, 10:17:30 PM »

I sort of had that problem on CRT monitors too.  Standard television is such a very special type of crappy.

Right -- CRT computer monitors are higher-res than SDTV's.  (HD CRT's are actually generally regarded as having a much better picture than LCD or plasma, but the fact that a bigscreen CRT weighs hundreds of pounds is generally considered too big a tradeoff.)

When I first tried playing XII on my tuner card, I kept adjusting the thing thinking there was something wrong with it, until I finally realized that no, that's just what FFXII looks like without the usual glossy blurring of TV screen.

I played it on my 720p TV and found it very annoying that it didn't support progressive scan.  At least it supported 16:9.

DQ8 had the same issue but didn't look quite so bad; presumably the cel-shaded style survives the transition better.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2009, 10:25:07 PM »

LCDs and plasma have better clarity, and lack the alignment drift problems that CRTs can develop, but the brightness, contrast, and black levels on CRTs still reign supreme.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2009, 03:54:47 PM »

Someone just turned Greenland into one of those .wads with nothing but Spiderdemons on every tile.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »

Quote from: Register Article
On its own this is quite bad enough. We here on the Reg big-game and military tech desk calculate that if the spider-wolves of the Arctic grow by 10 per cent annually**, in just fifty years they will be the size of Humvees. But it gets worse: oh yes.

Quote from: Register Article
**Naturally we haven't chosen to use the more realistic 2 per cent per decade figure, as it is boring.

:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2009, 08:14:18 PM »

Also ignores that there isn't enough oxygen in the air for them to get larger than the largest of tarantulas.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »

Well, right, that's the joke.  It's like in America: The Book where they note that if current trends continue, 150% of Americans will be Latino by 2150.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »

It's not clear, but I was expressing my dissatisfaction with reality.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2009, 04:13:20 AM »

No, no.  This is a good thing, as giant spiders are very no.  They can get far too big already!   :ohshi~:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2009, 04:32:52 AM »

Oh please. Christmas Island has been dealing with swarms of killer arthropods for centuries.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2009, 04:43:43 AM »

Elves?

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2009, 05:26:18 AM »

And now the image of chitinous elf-like creatures toiling away in a barnacle encrusted toyshop shall haunt my dreams forever.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 38