Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

How fat are you, fatty?

Skinny/underweight
- 6 (18.2%)
Completely fit
- 3 (9.1%)
A little bit of chub
- 14 (42.4%)
Bulky but strong
- 3 (9.1%)
Fat is a good word to use
- 7 (21.2%)
MAN THE HARPOONS
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Gettin' In Shape!  (Read 17680 times)

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Gettin' In Shape!
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »

The M570 is pretty good and it is what I am using. Unfortunately my first one crapped out on me, but Logitech has pretty good warranties and they replaced it for free in about three days.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2012, 12:55:33 AM »

For years I joke I'm skinny and can't put on weight was solely because I ate nothing but candy and sugary foods. Well, as of a few months ago, I decided I was going to eat healthier. I cut down on soda, nearly eliminated candy, ate meats, whole grain breads, even fruits and veggies.
I gained nearly fifteen pounds.
A week or so back I decided if I was just going to start gaining weight, I might as well eat the food I want and restarted my sugar based diet. I've lost half the weight I gained.

Guess I'm doomed to eat horrible food the rest of my life.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2012, 04:56:35 AM »

I vow by the "no fruits or vegetables" diet. Just not if you ever have to run, at all.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2013, 02:10:34 AM »

Jumping in here for some stuff. I recently started eating healthy and working out again and I just wanted to make a post about it. I'm horribly out of shape right now so I started a bit light, I've been jogging 1.5 miles a day and eating a properly planned diet of fresh veggies, fruit and healthy meats. Add this to my normal working schedule of walk every where around the theatre for 5 hours and never stop motion(My doctor told me that the fact that I basically always move around[even if it's just drumming my hands/feet along to the music I'm listening to on my headphones] means I actually burn a lot more calories while just sitting than most people) and I've shed 20 lbs in seven days, I know a lot of that is just the initial weight loss of suddenly actually doing healthy shit but I'm glad for it. Gonna keep up and try to report to you guys once/twice a month. It makes me feel more motivated to keep it up the more people I tell about it.

Side note: Only a week in and I already have more energy/feel a lot better. Literally on the 10th I did a work day that when I got done with my lower back hurt and stuff and after an actually harder day after I had started this I felt perfectly fine. It's gonna be good to get back into shape.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »

I've shed 20 lbs in seven days

Pretty sure that's not possible, and if it is, it's not healthy. Most doctors will recommend you not lose more than eight pounds a month.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »

Ahhhh, the ole' cholera diet...

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »

Buge is correct; 2 lbs per week is the rule.  Losing more than that is very possible, just not recommended.

Not saying you're about to get instant diabeetus or anything, just don't freak out when you get 18 lbs of that back.  Your body's going to try to self-regulate as best it can.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »

Just going by what my doctor/dietician told me at the health center my tribe owns which was, "Losing weight too fast is a myth. Losing weight at any rate, as long as you're not starving yourself or throwing up is healthier than being fat." I dunno, my tribe employees multiple people with graduate degrees on this shit in heir wellness centers and this is what they told me. I've been strictly following what they told me to do.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »

Also, also, I am really fat but, by blood-work and stuff(I had a full physical before this and have one scheduled for every 2 weeks to make sure nothing bad happens to me[my tribe gives free medical care]) I was actually still in perfect shape. No high blood sugar or blood pressure or anything like that. I was, from the time I was 19 until I was about 24 a long distance runner and it seems that had a great effect on my stamina and over all fitness even into my getting fat. Considering I'm over 100 lbs overweight and can still jog 1.5 miles non-stop without falling over or really even being tired at the end.

Editing for clarity: I have no problem being uncomfortable to attain a goal and that's what I told the doctors/dietitians who set up my meal-plan. But I don't want to fucking die doing this. I am maintaining healthy everything that I can and doing physicals and stuff to make sure I remain healthy throughout. It does annoy me that you guys either, A assume I am lying or B assume I'm stupid and am not working closely with actual fucking medical professionals.

Friend

• Meow see here..
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »

I think what they're getting at is this: While you may have lose 20 lbs, only some of that is fat. There's other things to account for like water weight, muscle loss, even food you've just eaten. (Obviously, if you've just eaten a heavy meal, that's going to weigh you down and vice versa.) You might weigh yourself next week and find out you've gained some weight back. Basically, when it comes to weight loss, your day to day weight doesn't really matter as long as you continue losing weight over time.

Also, I forgot if this is true or not, but I think the rules they give don't apply if you're obese.

Also also: "Losing weight too fast is a myth."
This statement is kinda vague. Like, if you basically starve for a month you're going to lose weight, but according to conventional knowledge, it'll probably be unhealthy. Though I think I read a news article about a study obese patients who ate nothing and only took vitamin supplements for a month or something and had no adverse side effects, so I guess YMMV.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »

I specifically qualified the statement to say that starving/throwing food up was not healthy. Did you not fucking read what I fucking typed and I did fucking say that the 20 lbs of initial loss was just INITIAL WEIGHT LOSS FROM SUDDENLY BEING HEALTHY, meaning water weight and stuff. I said all this. I FUCKING COVERED IT. You just don't read before you fucking type something, you simple mother fucker.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »

Calm down there, fatty. He's not responding to you directly, just to the overall discussion of losing weight too fast.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »

Sorry, my fault. I shouldn't have let my temper get the best of me. I have a short fuse.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2013, 03:58:08 PM »

The thing about losing weight too fast is that it is only humanly possible to lose so much fat per week. That's where the "myth" comes from; if you're losing more than 2 or 3 pounds a week, you're very probably losing muscle, which of course fucks up your metabolism and ability to continue losing weight.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2013, 04:25:49 PM »

And yet the first article on webmd says 3-5 lbs a week should be considered normal for some one only dieting and doing light excersize(as long as you stick to the plan and dont have cheat days)with 5+ a week still being healthy as long as you eat atleast 1550 calories of lean meat, fruit and veggies a day. I mean my job is basically 5 hours of constant walking/jogging and lifting. Add to that another hour of working out a day and I'm doing a lot of shit. Still I am kinda wondering where you guys are getting your facts since I've been speaking directly with people who have fucking PhDs.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »

Calm down there, fatty. He's not responding to you directly, just to the overall discussion of losing weight too fast.
The thing about having doctors plan things for you in particular is that you can do things like safely buck trends that would be bad in most situations. That's good. It's good you have access to that. Personally, I'd just talk very specifically with my doctor on this subject. I mean, hell, I still have problems with my right foot because a doctor in a highly-renowned hospital couldn't read an x-ray properly and told me over the course of multiple visits that there was no bone break despite me being absolutely certain.

Friend

• Meow see here..
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »

And yet the first article on webmd says 3-5 lbs a week should be considered normal for some one only dieting and doing light excersize(as long as you stick to the plan and dont have cheat days)with 5+ a week still being healthy as long as you eat atleast 1550 calories of lean meat, fruit and veggies a day.
Was it this one? Because that one says it's only safe to lose 3-5 pounds in the first week.

Still I am kinda wondering where you guys are getting your facts since I've been speaking directly with people who have fucking PhDs.
It's pretty much implied that you should always listen to your doctor over some random idiot on the internet. Anyways, the information given by others in the thread are basically general guidelines that you pick up if you read enough about health on the internet or on books or wherever. That means they don't necessarily fit into every situation. For example:

Just going by what my doctor/dietician told me at the health center my tribe owns which was, "Losing weight too fast is a myth. Losing weight at any rate, as long as you're not starving yourself or throwing up is healthier than being fat."
Considering I'm over 100 lbs overweight and can still jog 1.5 miles non-stop without falling over or really even being tired at the end.
They don't apply if you're obese. (I actually forgot that you mentioned this when I posted; my mentioning of that obesity study was just a coincidence.) I think everyone else was assuming you were like 180 and just dropped 20 pounds. Which probably wouldn't be healthy for you. See your health care provider for further details.

That said, don't let some internet stranger dissuade you from making better life choices. If you see the progress, and you're feeling better, and your doctor okays it, who's to say you're wrong. If it works for you then it works.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »

I have maintained diet and work out and am nearing 40 lbs lost. A small note I did not really talk about previously. I USED to be really healthy and do own a professional quality treadmill, Olympic weight bench and 310 lbs plate set and auto adjustable dumbbells. I just stopped being healthy due to injury, lazy and slight depression. Now that I am motivated I know very well what my body can take and am using my tribe's health resources to insure safety while doing this.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »

I don't know what half of that means, but did you just claim you could bench 310 or merely that you have the equipment to test such a feat?

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »

310 lbs is the most common set of weight plates you can buy. I have a 310 lbs set. No, I cannot bench that much. I mostly use the dumbbells any how. Olympic plates just means hey are standard size. Auto adjustable dumbbell just means you don't have to waste time changing them for different weights. You set them on the rack select the weight you want and pull them out and they have that much weight on them.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10