Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 4681 times)

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 04:23:53 AM »

Someone with some sort of degree argued that true intelligence should be measured by an entity's ability to breach its containment.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »

So squirrels are the bar.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »

That's actually pretty close to the plot of (spoilertagging the name of the book because this is kinda the whodunnit, though it's pretty unsurprising by the time it gets there) [spoiler]Rule 34 by Charles Stross[/spoiler].  Though that's exactly the book I was thinking of when I said I'd read stories with similar premises but they still hinged on the question of computer becoming sentient.

I don't remember the exact details, but -- spoilers for the same book -- [spoiler]a complex data-gathering tool is repurposed as a spam filter, and ultimately it starts orchestrating elaborate murders of people involved in the spam supply chain, by analyzing their browser and purchasing history.  Household appliance malfunctions and when they go to 3D print a replacement part, the filter changes the schematic so that the part will be faulty and cause a lethal malfunction, that sort of thing.[/spoiler]
Pages: 1 2 [3]