Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: Mongrel's Wargame Terrain (and figures)  (Read 17701 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame Terrain
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »

Just a pair of shacks I made a couple weeks ago.

I'd rather make more substantial updates, but I had to bust out the camera for something else anyway, so what the hell.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »

When are you gonna make a church or fountain or something with that Dreamblade statue mini?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 06:29:47 PM »

That's on the horizon, but I need a few bits first. It'll be an open-air roman-type shrine. The next building I'm making is a small country inn, I think.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 04:13:10 PM »

Hey remember this thread?

Hate to get your hopes up regarding the inn, but work on that just went reeealll slow, due to work contantly interrupting things and my being tired all the time. I am mostly finished (about 80% there structurally - still need to put the roof on - and most of the detailing remains, but that's it). Anyway, for good or for ill, I have more time on my hands for the next little while and will be able to do more work. Pics of the inn will be posted eventually.

I'm posting NOW because I actually got so sick of working on the same building for so long that I actually stopped, changed gears, and built an entirely separate building in a saturday, plus some extra time over the past two weeks. This one's another country cottage, but it's much more weathered and tumbledown than my previous ones. I also made a well (there's gloss medium in the bottom for water, but obviously you can't see it in this shot).

The inn is a big learning experience for city buildings (of which I plan to make more). For the cottage, I finally broke down and started using vegetation, so that was my learning experience for this building.

One of the neater things I did as an experiment was to carefully glue in bristles in the 'thin' areas of the roof thatch to show how 'frayed' the roof was (if you look at real pictures of thatched roofs in really rough shape, they look like they're 'leaking' what looks like fresh hay (which is just the clean under-thatch coming out). It's hard to see in these crappy pics, but maybe you can catch it a bit.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »

Quick question/favour/gag opportunity: It's time to play "Name that inn!"

Looking for inn names for my silly little stick buildings (need one now and at least one more for later). There are a few requirements:

- Generic. The name must work in a variety of towns, including vampire/undead dudes, Empire-type guys, Rebel Empire-type guys, and even some elf towns.
- Traditional. The name should have a traditional english-pub style name (so, like 'the [noun] & [noun]' or 'the [colourful adjective/adverb] [noun]').
- Comedic. Funny, but not stupidly so. A subtle joke or double entendre would be best.
- Simple. I need to paint little icons on the sign, in addition to the words, so any symbolism should be simple. This last one isn't as important as the others, it's just something to keep in mind.

So far, one idea I had was "The Crown & [comedy option yet to be determined]" ('crown' is good because lots of factions have crowns associated them for some reason or other, and _____ & _____ is a very classic naming convention).

I've been thinking about this too much to come up with good ideas. Figured I could fish here. Worst case, nobody replies and I'm no worse off.

Ideas?

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 08:28:32 PM »

Holy boogers, Mongrel, that stuff is amazing! Miniature stuff is always so awesome, especially when it's detailed like that.

I remember once my mum took me shopping in town, and she said I could have anything I wanted for like, ten bucks, I chose a bag of railway scenery stuff, like tiny little barrels and trees and poles and stuff. :D So good.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 08:30:09 PM »

The owner of Hound's End hung a stuffed dog's butt over the front door of his tavern.
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:13 PM »

Pubs got their names because people can't read. If you decide to make a super-fancy rich-looking pub, make sure it has a really pretentious name/sign, like the, "Blue Swan," or "Three Blue Flagons"

Also good names, "Long Table" featuring a big, long table on the streetside of the building.

"Magic Glass" just featuring a wine glass with the word "welcome" written around it like a laurel crown.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »

Way to say exactly what I said but with more words.
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 11:20:33 PM »

He- you- they are nothi-

Almost got me. Shame on you. :wagglesfinger:

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 09:57:19 AM »

A crown and some gems could be the "Royal Jewels" pub!

But it can't just be a spiked circlet kind of crown, it has to be one of those ridiculous queen-of-england style crowns.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 12:45:40 PM »

"The Royal Fowl"

With a picture of a duck or some other water fowl wearing crown and cursing. "@$*&#!"
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »

"The Royal Fowl"

With a picture of a duck or some other water fowl wearing crown and cursing. "@$*&#!"

I actually think this idea is kinda funny, but I don't think it's possible to do at the scale I'm working in. It just won't be visible.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »

Well, I'm almost there. I figured out that I want a name that has either 'boar' or 'stag' in it. I'm hoping for a good pun/double entendre. But I just can't think of one that makes a good relevant joke AND a good inn name.

EDIT: Finally figured it out: "The Lively Boar".

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »

Finally we have progress.

Unlike the earlier shacks and cottages, here's a "proper" house. This was made with scrap material from the Inn (below), so I could alternate between projects.

And of course, the stupid thing itself. After damn near six months (off and on... it's not like I worked for six months straight), The Lively Boar

Details (the roof over the stable/garage is removable).

Oh lord, I pray my next city-type buildings will be a little quicker.

EDIT: And now, let's all go to the pub.

Motörhead - Lemmy Goes to the Pub (Alternative Version of Heart of Stone)

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 04:47:37 PM »

Man, mongrel, you're a pretty damn good builder/artist hero!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »

Onward and upward. Something different with an oddball shrine to an Ourobouros-type diety.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 11:47:22 AM »

Why does that look so familiar....

:oic:

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile