Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Free Weight-Watchers-esque Calorie/Exercise Counter  (Read 1406 times)

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Free Weight-Watchers-esque Calorie/Exercise Counter
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »

Because I can't lose weight unless somebody presents the process as a game, just like everything else.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com

(real talk a looooot of people pay like $50 a month for this and have no regrets about it)

EDIT: link fixed

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Free Weight-Watchers-esque Calorie/Exercise Counter
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »

Link sure don't work.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »

I dropped fifteen lbs by switching to Diet Soda is was kind of cool like finding a cheat code for exercise.

I am literally addicted to the sensation and taste of carbonated black soda after a work shift!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:15:29 PM »

I dropped fifteen lbs by switching to Diet Soda is was kind of cool like finding a cheat code for exercise.

I am literally addicted to the sensation and taste of carbonated black soda after a work shift!

So am I, but diet soda tastes like horse bile to me.

:shrug:

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »

Mrs. A has that app. She thinks it's a big overly generous for the workouts she does.

And Doom the only thing worse for you than corn syrup is artificial sweetener man.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »

It's true.  The major problem with HFCS 55 - a danger of leading directly to fructose overconsumption and proceeding intolerance - is only exacerbated by artificial sweeteners, which may all as well be HFCS 100.

Of course, if you drink only one can a day and have enough starches in your diet, you're probably perfectly fine.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »

I have a bad habit of wanting a coke mid-afternoon (as well as later, but anyway...).

The midafternoon one is the bigger problem, because that's usually at work and means a full container (if I'm at home, I can just pour a half-glass for the hit and not drink so much).

What was really nice was those 222ml cans Coke introduced, which are a third smaller than a normal can. I'm not going to say that made me skinnier (it didn't - every day I work an incredibly boring office job, it takes many DISTRACTION SNACKS to get me through the day), but it helps and I was sure glad they introduced those.

I barely eat at all when sufficiently distracted. Unfortunately a life defined by ennui is the opposite, so what better refuge than shameless hedonism, right? To say nothing of the fact that I will probably die of cancer before I'm 50 for lack of sun (I am only half kidding there).

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 08:28:19 PM »

Mrs. A has that app. She thinks it's a big overly generous for the workouts she does
It's probably giving net instead of gross burned. A lot of things do that and it's irritating to have to take the extra step.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »

Couldn't really find a general FOOD thread so:

What 200 Calories Looks Like in Different Foods

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »

Realize this thread's a year and a half old, but just wanted to mention again that some years back I switched from sugary soda to black coffee.  May not be for everybody, but even coffee with cream and sugar's probably better for most people than soda.

Not exercising as well now as I was when I was unemployed and had plenty of spare time to spend on the elliptical, but I got a dog and I walk her every night so that's at least a little mandatory physical activity.

I'm still much slimmer than I used to be (my 32" pants are tighter than they were a year ago, but they still fit, and keep in mind I was a 36" for about half my life) but my shoulders aren't as broad as they were six months ago and that annoys me.  Should probably get back to some form of weight lifting, even if it's only a little bit.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »

It is reaaaally frustrating how quickly your work undoes itself if you don't lift on a regular basis. Trying not to fall out of the habit, but it's getting harder to find a place to do cardio or core exercises while I'm jumping from apartment to home to apartment.