Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Disposable Ninja's Big Dumb Thing Thread  (Read 3902 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Disposable Ninja's Big Dumb Thing Thread
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »

For a more exotic this-isn't-English-written-in-cipher feel, consider using a single glyph for things we use multiple letters for in English, like "sh" or "th" or "ch".

You can do it for consonant clusters that don't end in H, too.

Alternately/in addition: different glyphs for sounds, rather than letters. "U" in English makes an "uh" sound sometimes and an "ooh" sound other times, and that we use the same letter for it is kind of weird. "C" is completely superfluous.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 03:58:41 AM »

... eh, fair enough. I was thinking I would actually make it something attentive folks might be able to decrypt on their own, but I might as well go the full 9 on this.

The script is mostly derived in form from the Greek Alphabet with a Lyteid flare thrown in for good measure (a perk of being the first group to rebuild society). As such, I gave most of the glyphs a yonic touch.

And by that I mean I made them look like vaginas. Check it.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »

The mostly completed Oroboros glyph list:

Still need to redesign the squiggly ones. And then redesign all of them for the Lyturian version. And then again for the Omonari version.

I'm not entirely sure why I gave every glyph a name but now I've decided that robots are named after the glyphs. There's a robot named Septos, and a robot named Thesda, and so on.

New, larger map:

which for some reason looks crazy-ass bright in Firefox. Still a work in progress, this map.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »

Is that a river there off to the south, or an oddly stretchy ocean bay? At a global scale, rivers are nearly invisible.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »

... I'm not entirely sure. Probably some sort of ancient, man-made channel? That's the length of the continental U.S.? Honestly, everything south of Oppalas is so lousy with ancient technology that it kind of mutated the population.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »

I would believe having a channel that's as wide as Florida, but it probably needs something else going on. Sunken cities maybe? lots of little artificial islands? You could probably make that body of water a believable feudal kingdom that's only been spared subjugation because of either ancient technology or the continued impracticality of preparing or maintaining a garrison for the islands (which might just be 40 person platforms).

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »

Well, whatever the fuck it is, I gave it a name:

The Ophaean Sea. Derived from Ophis, the Greek word for Serpent. So there you go. And yeah, it's definitely big enough to house tiny islands with tiny cities.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »

The Biology of the Kurs

The most prominent race of Biode-Human Hybrids, and an excellent example of what being a Biode-Human Hybrid means, the Kurs have what I like to refer to as "fun biology". Kurs, like all Biode-Human Hybrids, are unique to regular old human in the sense that Kurs can not only inherit the acquired traits of their parents, they can also have multiple fathers -- in a sense. This is because Kurs are not hybrids in the sense that they are half-human, or anything like that. Rather, Kurs have entire colonies of Baia interwoven throughout their bodies.

So, while although the initial conception is no different than with unaltered humans, the parental colonies of Baia will emulate parent's own physiques. These emulations can include anything from trained skills, memories, scars, injuries, temperaments, and more. Furthermore, when a pregnant Kur has sex with another male, the male's Baia -- and thus his traits -- will be passed on to the child.

A female Kur with three bioluminescent eyes.

This had a profound effect on early Kur culture: females were encouraged to have sex with prominent males, and prominent males were encouraged to have sex with... everything. This lead to a quickly homogenized people; the most obvious mass trait being the familiar Kur physique -- most Kurs stand between 7 and 9 feet tall and at the peak of physical strength and endurance. Sexual dimorphism is at a minimum.

Furthermore are their eyes: Kurs possess three bioluminescent eyes. They use their eyes to see great distances, examine minute details nearby, and even see through certain materials and objects by focusing the light their eyes produce into a powerful stream; once the light hits an object it will reflect back towards them.

It's worth noting that the third eye, located in the middle of the forehead, is a sub-dermal parietal eye. As such, its use is limited. It acts as a periphery to the other two eyes, helping the Kur create an image in their brain of what they see when they use their radar-laser vision.

-NOTES-
Up until recently I'd been having trouble with the Kurs, as I just didn't find them as interesting as the Lyteids, Omonar and other races. Then I came up with the concept of "Fun Biology". The idea about inheriting acquired traits came from a TVTropes page about the subject, the idea about multiple fathers came from this Cracked article, and the stuff about the eyes came from me thinking about why Superman has heat beam laser eyes and x-ray vision.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »

Also, too keep track of what's going on in my story:

A tiny, blurred up version of the chart detailing character and faction relations. It's tiny and blurred because for some reason I care about spoiling a story I've spent years concocting. But, anyway, just to give an idea of the size and scope of the story.
Pages: 1 [2]