Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 50

Author Topic: It's the economy, stupid!  (Read 69263 times)

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: It's the economy, stupid!
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »

could someone tell me if "giving 700 billion dollars in taxpayer money to the enormous corporate entities that caused this in the first place, arguably through exploitation and greed, is a bad idea" is a flawed or ignorant statement, and if so, how?

I just want to be accurate when hating people in the months to come

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2008, 05:39:05 PM »

It's a good idea regardless of blame because, as of right now, they're going to take us all with them.

THAT SAID, knowing that they're at fault, means you can bail out the organizations while eviscerating the individuals responsible, ensuring that capitalism is served by making sure you the culprits don't get out of jail free (in theory).

The arguing over the provisions for the latter seems to be the sore point. That and a whole bunch of Republicans trying to distance themselves from Bush at all costs.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »

CSM has a pretty good rundown of why it collapsed.

That's just hot air. It really does level down to:

A lot of congressmen wanted it to pass but didn't want to be on record as voting in favor of it because the bill is unpopular with the general public.

The democrats promised to shore up 120 votes, and the republicans were supposed to deliver 100. When it came time, the democrats delivered with 140, and the republicans only 65. Bush & McCain have no control over their party.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2008, 06:28:04 PM »

I kinda want to see what happens if congress does nothing.

I really want to see a bill rushed under the table that turns us into a  pseudo communist country where everyone gets free houses, food, water, electricity, and health care.

But neither will happen.   Well, I guess I'll just watch what actually does happen :popcorn:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »

The best analogy I can think of is that Hitler is dangling from a cliff, and only you can save him.

Also, Hitler is rigged with a switch that will blow up an orphanage if he dies.  Also, you.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »

I dunno. The complete collapse of this country seems almost acceptable in light of all of the horrendous bullshit of the rich-and-powerful lately. IT IS NO LONGER PRE-MAGNA-CARTA! GET WITH THE FUCKING PROGRAM.

:fukit:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2008, 07:40:34 PM »

All right, well, I've got no car, no health care, and am shacked up in temporary lodgings that I'm screaming to get out of.  You'll excuse me if I don't share your enthusiasm to further fuck up my situation in order to inconvenience some slimy rich guys.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2008, 07:59:06 PM »

I'm saying that they should be made to pick up the check once in a while when they fucking dine-and-dash, because as you've noted it sucks to be you and (well) over 1/3rd of the country at this point.

At least your relative standing would go up.

DISCLAIMER:
Classic is not actually saying he wants you to remain in a shitty situation or that he wants society to collapse or all moneylenders to collapse a-la Fight Club. He has just been reading too much news lately and is pissed.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »

Horrible things just happened to my investments.  I'm only 26 and my retirement funds are borderline worthless.

I guess the Dow dropping 700+ points will do that.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »

It'll bounce back (unless they defaulted), and you have 40 years.  I'd love for my problems to have to do with the market and retirement.

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2008, 08:29:11 PM »

I'd love for my problems to not be "I need a motherfucking job" related, but it ain't gonna happen any time soon. Give ME money USA! I don't wanna be $400 in debt anymore  :sadpanda:.

We're all just blowing air out of our asses discussing this shit. It's not like we'll ever be able to blow over the fat cats anyway. We're just shooting the breeze in the end.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2008, 09:06:23 PM »

What I hate about all this talk about the bailout is that they're always filled with ill portents and doomsaying; I'm sorry, but the economy collapses every 20 years, (the gas crisis, the stock market crash of 87, etc) and we're always better for it in the end. The banks who deserved to survive will, and the banks that didn't won't. The economic world works just like nature - survival of the fittest.

Bailing them out just disrupts the natural order, and delays the inevitable. If we bail them out now, when these poorly managed companies do fall, it'll just be that much worse. The idea of us borrowing nearly a trillion dollars to pay off the debt of greedy wall street executives who wrote bad loans to line their pockets sickens me. Our dollar is already valueless as it is - It's not like we have a mound of gold in a fort somewhere to back that money up. The money has to come from somewhere, and as long as we're borrowing it the buying power of the US dollar continues on it's way to worthlessness.

Frankly, our money being worth less than canada's is fucking embarassing.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »

Actually, it sounds like the bailout, while huge, now has the US government owning a zillion shares of stock on their loan defaulting asses. I've heard some people describe it as "fair".

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »

I don't wanna be $400 in debt anymore  :sadpanda:.

I am going to fuck you in the eye.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2008, 09:11:14 PM »

If you take pictures, you should be able to sell them and get out of debt!

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2008, 09:11:37 PM »

Actually, it sounds like the bailout, while huge, now has the US government owning a zillion shares of stock on their loan defaulting asses. I've heard some people describe it as "fair".

Yes, eventually the loan will pay for itself.

The problem with that is, ironically, the united states has the same habits of the consumers who caused the problem in the first place. We don't pay off our debt. The long term hit to the value of the dollar really outweighs the extra revenue coming in that our government has already proven it is incapable of managing. Unless the government includes a provision in this bill to pay off the debt we're generating because of it then I cannot support it.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »

Actually, today the Dollar gained against the Euro and gasoline dropped $10. Turmoil brought about correction.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2008, 09:27:04 PM »

I don't wanna be $400 in debt anymore  :sadpanda:.

I am going to fuck you in the eye.

Me first.

$400? Get a fucking paper route.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2008, 09:42:57 PM »

Shit, I've loaned out more than three times that in the last month.  See if you can fuck my sister, Sora.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2008, 10:57:32 PM »

Shit, I've loaned out more than three times that in the last month.  See if you can fuck my sister, Sora.

...I don't get it.  Are you training him?  Is that some kind of "snatch the pebble from my hand" challenge?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 50